Daulet_u
Strawerrymilk

Are cell phones dangerous?

Daulet_u

Pro

Cell phones are dangerous to people. And over 42,000 people each year dies of head cancer caused by phones. It is really dangerous to our health.
Strawerrymilk

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for participating with me in what I hope will be the first of many debates. I have attempted to survey the debates here to make sure I follow proper etiquette, and hope everyone will be patient with any failures.

Now for a quick summary of what I am arguing here.

I will argue that using a cell phone is not dangerous, and specifically that they are not carcinogenic. If my opponent chooses to include this in the debate I am also willing to argue why the dangers of risky behavior coinciding cell phone use do not mean cell phones themselves are dangerous. As of now I am just planning to argue the former.

thanks again, can't wait to get started!
Daulet_u

Pro

Daulet_u forfeited this round.
Strawerrymilk

Con

Although I am disappointed regarding the forfeited round I feel this is an interesting topic, so thanks for the idea even if the debate itself is abandoned. I had started writing some tentative responses for what i thought the first argument might have been, which I will post now in the hope that my opponent will return to the site. We can assume a shared burden of proof, because this argument has been written to positively prove my point.

I. Electromagnetic Radiation from Mobile Phones

Mobile phones emit electromagnetic radiation. Some electromagnetic radiation is carcinogenic, and exposure to ionizing radiation can increase the risk of cancer. If the energy per photon is not great enough, however, the radiation cannot remove an electron from an atom regardless of the strength or intensity of the radiation. What this means is that certain frequencies, or certain wavelengths mean that the radiation is not ionizing. These non-ionizing waves have been proven to not cause cancer, and indeed, their only known biological effect is heating.[1][2][3]

The frequency emitted by the RF front end of a mobile phone spans between a minimum of 824 MHz and a maximum of 2570 MHz. At what frequency the waves becomes ionizing does of course depend on the energy with which the most loosely held electron is bound to the incident atom, but the energy per photon at these frequencies is no where near enough to do so. Ionization rarely occurs due to waves with a frequency below 300,000 MHz. The Planck constant describes a linear relationship between frequency and energy, and as such radio-waves from mobile phones have less than a thousandth of the energy required to cause any chemical effect on the human body.[4][5]

Earlier, I mentioned that the only known effect of non-ionizing waves is heating. This is the principle upon which microwaves work, and obviously it is unhealthy for your body to absorb excessive radiant heat. Extremely intense electromagnetic radiation could dangerously increase your body temperature, although persons with a functioning nervous system would first notice that they were too hot. Cell phones do not, however, emit anywhere near enough energy to generate this much heat and in experiments have not measurably increased body temperature. The heat conducted from the physical surface of your cell phone and your hand to your face would many orders of magnitude greater than that from any radiation. [3]

II. Health Demographics

Examination of demographics related to health and cell phone proves to an absurdly high degree of certainty that using a cell phone has no adverse health affects.
My opponent's assertion that 42,000 people die every year of brain cancer is not credible. The National Cancer Institute predicts 22,910 new diagnoses and 13,700 deaths from brain cancer in 2012. Importantly, this is the number of all cases of brain cancer, regardless of cause. In fact, the National Cancer Institutes reports to have observed no significant increase in the amount of brain cancer cases over the past decade, even while the number of people using cell phones worldwide has ballooned to over 5 billion [1][6]. If there was even a minute correlation, the transition from almost no cell phone users to 5,000,000,000 cell phone usesr would likely result in a noticeable increase in brain cancer rates.

Five billion people and counting are using cell phones. There are no tangible public health ramifications caused by their radiation. Mobile phones are safe.

[1]:http://www.cancer.gov...

[2]:http://www.fda.gov...

[3]:http://www.epa.gov...

[4]:http://www.epcos.com...

[5]: http://www.mcw.edu...

[6]: http://mobithinking.com...
Daulet_u

Pro

Daulet_u forfeited this round.
Strawerrymilk

Con

Strawerrymilk forfeited this round.
Posted by Strawerrymilk 4 years ago
Strawerrymilk
My apologies for not spending much time on grammar and formatting. If my opponent returns i put a respectful level of polish on my post for the next round. It is hard to motivate myself to spend time editing something that will not be read :/
Posted by 100_percent_Syd 4 years ago
100_percent_Syd
You didn't state a source for your head cancer figure, so I can't rule whether it's true.......
Posted by Daulet_u 4 years ago
Daulet_u
okay
Posted by Strawerrymilk 4 years ago
Strawerrymilk
Should I just state my stance in the first round since thats what you have done?
Posted by Daulet_u 4 years ago
Daulet_u
yes brain cancer
Posted by Strawerrymilk 4 years ago
Strawerrymilk
just to make sure we don't fall into a semantic argument... What do you mean by head cancer?
head cancer = brain cancer?
Posted by Daulet_u 4 years ago
Daulet_u
okay bro!)
Posted by Strawerrymilk 4 years ago
Strawerrymilk
Just accepted, have to take the dogs out right now but I will have an argument up within an hour or so.