icecream617
Interval

Are computerized tests beneficial to teens?

Interval

icecream617

Pro

I honestly think that computerized tests are beneficial to teens because honestly, I think that wasting trees is enough at this point and people often use computers more than paper to do their homework. Also, computerized tests gives them the opportunity to interact with technology. Technology has evolved throughout the centuries and we should acknowledge it by using it. Paper is now veyr old from China in 105 AD.
Interval

Con

I look forward to the rest of the debate.

First of all, I would like to establish an idea: Simply because an item is outdated does not necessarily mean that it has lost its usefulness. A good example would be the wheel. Evidence indicates that the wheel was invented around 3500 B.C. [1]. Despite its ancient inception this tool is still used today. In fact, the use of the wheel is so prolific that it is doubtful that our present technology would be able to function without it.

The second idea that I would like to establish is the fact that when an item continues to have applicable uses, it should remain in use. If I can prove (and my opponent fails to disprove) that paper (or any other medium of testing) continues to hold an advantage over computers then I must win the debate.

Paper continues to offer an advantage. Studies show that using paper actually increases a persons level of comprehension. Conversely computers are best for "superficial and speedy reading"[2]. Based on this information computers actually would lower test scores, whereas giving the tests through a paper medium is highly advantageous.

My opponent brought up the argument that they waste trees. However, this is negligible as tests form a very small percentage of paper use. Tests form an even smaller percentage of tree consumption when compared with everything that trees are regularly used for. As such, eliminating tests would barely scratch the surface of environmental concerns and the environmental benefits of removing written tests is completely insignificant. Computers have an environmental impact as well, possibly more than tests. First of all, a computer is constructed of synthetic, often environmentally destructive materials, and by discarding outdated computers (a practice that is inevitable) you cause a great deal of damage to the environment. Paper offers no such problem. Computers use electricity to run. This electricity is usually acquired through the burning of coal which has an additional environmental impact. In other words, the environmental footprint created by using computers or written tests is at best comparable. At worst, computers are more probable causes of environmental harm than a paper medium.

Moving onto the second point that my opponent brought up: computerized tests gives teenagers the opportunity to interact with technology. I would very much like to know why my opponent thinks that using computers for tests would in any way increase a teenager's grasp of technology. A teenager, on average, is far more tech savvy than the typical adult. In fact, many adults wish that teenagers would spend less time on their technology and engage more with the physical world. The opportunity that tests offer for teaching technology skills to teenagers is minimal, not to mention unnecessary. Teenagers simply do not need this kind of technological interaction in order to become adept with said technology.

My opponents third argument was basically that technology has evolved, and paper is old. I think that it should be noted that paper has evolved as well: It used to be made from the papyrus plant, today it is made from wood pulp. Writing implements have evolved from the inkwell, to the the ballpoint pen. Simply because an item is more "evolved" than another item by no means does that qualify it as better. Just because something is old does not mean that it is detrimental or unnecessary.

When an item has exclusive benefits it should not be discarded. Such is the case with paper. As already stated, it increases comprehension and retention, while computer screens actively reduce it [2]. Paper remains more effective as a testing and writing medium than computers and as such should be valued above them when it comes to these two practices.

[1]-http://www.smithsonianmag.com...
[2]-http://sciencenordic.com...
icecream617

Pro

icecream617 forfeited this round.
Interval

Con

Extend previous arguments.
icecream617

Pro

icecream617 forfeited this round.
Interval

Con

My opponent has completely failed to address any of my points, and I have effectively nullified all of his. For these reasons, I urge a ballot in favor of my side of the debate.

Addressing my opponent, please do not start a debate that you neither have the time nor will to finish. If you start a debate on this site please remain committed to it, at least enough to explain why you don't have the time to post your arguments.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
icecream617IntervalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture