Are dogs better pets than cats?

Dogs are better pets than cats because they are always glad to see you. My dog, Peppy, always gets so excited when I come home from school. Dogs always seem to know what you're thinking and feeling. They're very compassionate. My dog will always cheer me up when I'm sad. Cats, on the other hand, are very above it all. They often seem like they don't need you. One can't just pick up a cat and cuddle with it because most cats don't like being held. They will scratch at you, and it hurts a lot. Cats seem to want to be left alone, and they run away sometimes.

1. Cats are better than dogs because it is much more likely to be killed by an average cat than by an average dog

Imagine how many people are seriously injured or killed annually by the dogs. Children, owners of the dogs, random bystanders. On the other hand, I personally have never heard of anyone SERIOUSLY injured or killed by a cat.
If keeping a cat as a pet is safer not only for you but for other people as well, it definitely means that it is more beneficial for you to keep a cat as a pet. Therefore, cats are (at least from this point of view) better than dogs.

2. Cats are better than dogs because owning an average cat doesn't cost as much as owning an average dog

Firstly, we have to realize that cats usually live for a shorter time period. The oldest cat I have ever met in my life was 16, the oldest dog I have ever met was 25. Keeping a pet for a shorter time period means less money spent on food, vaccination etc.
Secondly, average cats eat smaller amount of food than average dogs. Smaller amount of food means buying less pet food which means less money spent.
Therefore, keeping a cat as a pet cost you less money than keeping a dog as a pet, therefore it is more beneficial for you to keep a cat than to keep a dog.

3. Cats are better than dogs because cats don't need that much care

Everybody knows that dogs need to be washed. Need to be walked. That takes up time. Do you need to wash a cat? No. Do you need to walk a cat? Definitely not. Dozens of cats live just indoors, have never been outside and their life still can be regarded as "very good". Could a dog live just indoors? I don't think so.
What is more, dogs are more social animals than cats. Than means that they want you - as their owner - to play with them. To talk to them. They are happy to go somewhere with you. The cats can sort of "live lives on their own". They can invent games themselves. They don't bother you when you obviously do not want to play with them.
Therefore, cats as pets do not take up that much time. Therefore, owning a cat is more beneficial.

Therefore, cats are better than dogs.

Dogs are great companions, and isn't that what people get pets for? Many people are allergic to cats, including me. My dog is like a brother to me. A cat could never replace my dog. On Con's topic of dogs potentially killing people, well-trained dogs would never do that. An untrained or abused dog might attack people, but socialized dogs wouldn't attack a person unless they were threatening them. On Con's other argument involving cats having shorter life spans, wouldn't one want their pet to live a good, long life? True, it would mean having to buy less pet food, but I would buy anything that my pet needs, without question. Taking care of a pet is expensive, but they're family. Cats may not need that much care, but they don't seem to want to be around people all that much. I would want a pet that would want to be around me, not one that doesn't seem to want to be near me.
For all of these reasons, dogs make better pets than cats.

10. Cats can be left unsupervised

While you shouldn"t leave your cat alone for the long term, it is perfectly acceptable to work fairly long hours or go away overnight without having to worry about your cat, as long as they are left with everything that they need. Cats are self sufficient and don"t mind spending time alone, whereas dogs get bored and upset if they are left to their own devices for more than a few hours!

9. Cats don"t need to be walked

Dogs need to be walked daily, whatever the weather and even if the snow is several inches thick and it is blowing a gale! Cats, on the other hand, take care of their own exercise requirements and do not need accompanying out for their daily exercise, leaving you tucked up warm in front of the fire during the worst of the British weather.

8. You don"t need to pick up after your cat

While you will need to clean out your cat"s litter tray if you provide one, other than this, cats take care of their own toileting provision, and bury their waste! Dogs, on the other hand produce rather potent offerings, and dog owners have to get up close and personal with it in order to clear it up safely!

7. Cats can live in the smallest of homes

Even the littlest of dogs need room to stretch their legs and a large enough home to contain them comfortably, while even the largest of cats is happy in the smallest of places! Even if you live in a studio apartment or a tiny house, the chances are that you have room for a cat.

6. Cats are cheaper to take care of

Even feeding the largest, hungriest of cats will work out cheaper than feeding a dog, and the savings don"t stop there! Everything about caring for a cat costs less than the equivalents for a dog, including insurance, veterinary treatments, boarding, bedding, and flea and worming treatments.

5. Cats are quieter

With the occasional exception of very vocal cats such as the Siamese or the Bengal, cats are very quiet animals who do not make a big noisy fuss! Cats do not bark at the sound of the doorbell, howl along to the radio, or otherwise talk back so loudly that your neighbours can hear them. Shhh!

4. You can fit several cats into your bed and still have room for yourself

Cat mathematics dictates that you can fit four or more cats comfortably into a double bed and still have room for yourself! Trying to squeeze yourself into bed alongside of a spread-eagled Saint Bernard dog, however, can prove to be more of a challenge and can lead to the odd sleepless night spend on the sofa!

3. Cats are not prone to rolling in disgusting things

Cats are incredibly finicky about their cleanliness, and spend large portions of their days washing themselves and getting their fur just so. Dogs on the other hand, heartily enjoy disgusting stinky messes, and will often make a beeline for the nearest puddle, pile of fox pooh or reeking, decaying carcass, and take great delight in rolling around in it, against the wishes of their owners!

2. Earning a cat"s respect is a significant achievement

Dogs are on the whole easily pleased, and a kind word or even better, a tasty treat will soon earn you a friend for life. Cats, on the other hand, are much more discerning about who they give their affection to, and you have to work to earn and retain the love and respect of a cat! There are few feelings more rewarding than knowing that a cat has chosen you to be their favourite person, and once you have won their love, cats are just as loyal and demonstrative as dogs; but only for their special person, and not for everyone that they meet in the street!

1. Cats were once worshipped as gods

This line says it all, really. Dogs might be man"s best friend, but in ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as Gods, something that cats have never forgotten. Quite where we went wrong along the way by considering that cats are simply companions and pets now as opposed to the regal, mystical beings that they actually are is hard to define, but the humble mutt simply cannot compete with this one! Meow!

Dogs will care about you as long as you care about them. They will always be loyal and love their owners. Cats have a tendency to run away from home, and sometimes they won't come back. The fact that cats were worshiped in Ancient Egypt is irrelevant to my topic. Dogs don't have to be walked every day, they just need exercise, not necessarily walking. Cat litter and waste leaves a powerful odor that one can't get rid of. On all of Con's arguments about dogs being high-maintenance, a good pet owner would do everything that their pet required.

1. Cats are better athletes
This dog trying out for her local soccer team has succeeded merely in chewing on the ball.This cat, meanwhile, has transcended soccer entirely. This cat is soccer.
2. Cats are more graceful dancers.
Ballroom dancing requires enthusiasm, grace, dexterity, stamina, and style. Dogs have enthusiasm.
3. Cats are braver and more reliable.
These cats, with only a stuffed reindeer to help them, have pulled their beloved owners over 700 miles in the bitter snows of Alaska.
4. Cats are better problem solvers.
Cats commonly use their lateral thinking skills to solve massively complex logic puzzles such as the classic "inaccessible toy mouse beyond the door" brain-teaser
Posted by bluesteel 1 year ago
>Reported vote: Canuckleball // Moderator action: REMOVED<

1 point to Pro (S&G), 4 points to Con (conduct, arguments). Reasons for voting decision: I agreed with Pro before and after, although Con gets more points for better arguments. The taming of the wolf was a huge leap for mankind, and dogs are so much more useful than cats, but Pro just kept using anecdotal evidence for her case.

[*Reason for removal*] Failure to explain S&G and conduct.
Posted by The-Voice-of-Truth 1 year ago
You need to use this fun thing called "sources", which you use to fulfill this neat little thing called the "Burden of Proof."