mackenziemurdoch
schachdame

Are dress codes acceptable?

schachdame

mackenziemurdoch

Con

Dress codes are not acceptable. Clearly they are more for the female students and it is not okay. I believe to a certain extent there are things you should not wear to school, but the reasoning is not good. Schools say that it is so that you do not distract anyone with your skin showing. If a girl is not allowed to wear a tank top because a boy is "too distracted" than too bad! We deserve to be able to wear certain clothes. Men need to grow up and find enough will to be able to see a girls shoulders and not get distracted.
schachdame

Pro

/PERSONAL NOTE/ I am happy to be here and I wish you entertaining and challenging debate.

the Instigator provides me here with a difficult opinion to disprove, because the phrase "are dess codes acceptable" does not fit that well to the argumentation that is outlined in the first round.

Dress codes can be invitation notes like "white tie" (that does not mean someone is going to actually wear a 'white tie') (1) but as well a set of rules for churches, schools and other institutions that are not encouraging a certain clothing like the first one, but rather discourage some particular styles.

As I understand the Instigator primarily does not support a school dress code that legitimizes itself with the potential distraction of male students through female clothing. This is way more situational than the title statement and I encourage the Con-Side to clarify this for me before we proceed further in this debate.

Reaction to what has already been stated: The distraction of male or female students due to partly exposed body parts, especially secondary sexual characteristics like breasts, can be seen as perfectly acceptable.

While churches or public places like museums need to provide a space where the average majority will not be offended, dress codes like covered belly buttons or proper footwear ensure a harmonic coexistence of many different world views and believes.
Schools face a even more difficult problem because they have to do exactly the same and even deal with adolescent perception and the low self-control of Teenagers that are just starting to deal with their sexual drive. The reason why schools develop dress codes is not because they think that male students should not learn how to deal with exposed female body parts but rather because the learning environment is easier to maintain when social dissonances are avoided.

Schools primarily want to communicate education like a church wants to communicate a certain religious believe, museums want to show history or art and parties want to communicate the concept of entertainment from the host's point of view. These are the core purposes of these institutions and events.

If dress codes reasonably enable an institution to communicate its sole purpose better they are absolutely acceptable.
If dress codes help to manage a broad mix of ethnics and ethics to avoid fights and harm, dress codes are absolutely acceptable.

(1) Reader's Digit on Dinner Dress Code http://www.rd.com...
mackenziemurdoch

Con

mackenziemurdoch forfeited this round.
schachdame

Pro

I strongly suspect that my opponent has abandoned this debate, so I am not going to put my strength into detailed input for this round and rest, waiting for Pro.
mackenziemurdoch

Con

mackenziemurdoch forfeited this round.
schachdame

Pro

My opponent has not presented her case. This should be decided to my favours.
Posted by Charliemouse 3 years ago
Charliemouse
gosh where do I begin...

"Schools say that it is so that you do not distract anyone with your skin showing. If a girl is not allowed to wear a tank top because a boy is "too distracted" than too bad! We deserve to be able to wear certain clothes. Men need to grow up and find enough will to be able to see a girls shoulders and not get distracted."

firstly, it is not only skin that shows. underwear can be seen (bra, panties) when a girl wears a tank top or singlet, or low cut jeans. the body is very outlined and enhanced through push up bras and tight clothing. this is unacceptable in school because you are simply asking to get stared at.

secondly, girls deserving to wear certain clothes is an ignorant and illusive statement. girls should be allowed to wear what they want, is what you are saying. the dress code helps girls to at least keep a little dignity and self respect but if you want to sell yourself then that's fine. I mean seriously, prostitutes these days have to wear business tags because they are no longer recognized by what they wear.

thirdly, next time you see half of a guy's nut sack hanging out of his fluffy pink thong tell yourself to grow up and not get distracted by a little pubic fluff and the boy scouts club he hides in that bush!
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
mackenziemurdochschachdameTied