HarveyJason
RyuuKyuzo

Are eggs fruits?

RyuuKyuzo

HarveyJason

Pro

Eggs are fruits, because they have seeds in them. The yolk is like a seed. I had a dream where I planted a yolk, and when I checked on it, it had sprung up from the Earth a new tree. People flocked form every nation to retrieve the new fruit, and I was once again responsible for a new abomination.

When I woke up I was super sweaty.

Eggs are fruit people. Seeds. They're chicken fruit.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for starting this peculiar debate. Given that this debate is only 3 rounds and that my opponent has posted his opening arguments in round one (at least I think that's what that is o.O), I will go ahead of post my arguments.

Arguments

1. Eggs =/= Fruit

Fruit is defined as, "a part of a flowering plant that derives from specific tissues of the flower, mainly one or more ovaries." [1]

Given that eggs have nothing to do with plants, Pro's resolution that eggs are fruits has already been defeated.

2. Eggs =/= Chicken Fruit

Pro also calls eggs "chicken fruit". Whether this is meant to be part of his resolution or not, I'm not sure, but either way it is incorrect. To refute this claim, all one must do is compare the qualities of eggs with fruits and see if they match up.

First thing, Pro refers to the yolk of an egg as the seed. This is incorrect. Yolks don't grow into anything, they simply feed the chicken embryo. If anything, the chicken embryo would be the seed as it grows into a chicken just as a seed grows into a tree. Even still, this is an unequal comparison. For starters, seeds don't out-grow the fruit as a chicken embryo does to an egg. In fact, in some cases the fruit's purpose is the exact opposite to that of the egg shell.

The egg is meant to protect the chicken embryo from outside forces until such time that the chicken has grown enough to break out of the egg and start its life. The fruit, in the case of apples, cherries, blackberries, etc. is meant to incise animals so that they eat the fruit and therefore the seed along with it. This way, the seed passes through the animal's digestive system where it is eventually dispersed along with some much needed fertilizer. [2]

In other words, the egg is meant to protect the chicken embryo from potential predators while the fruit is meant to get the seed eaten.

3. Dreams are Irrelevant

Pro talks about a dream he had in which he planted an egg yolk and a tree grew. This is literally nonsense. Dreams are not bound by natural laws and therefore cannot be used as evidence of anything.

Factually speaking, eggs are not fruits. This is incontestable. However, even on a structural level fruits are not comparable to eggs a they differ so greatly in both process and purpose, sometimes to the point of having virtually opposite functions as I have shown.

I look forward to your response.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://www.zephyrus.co.uk...

HarveyJason

Pro

Listen, you don't understand. I know what I saw, you don't. I KNOW!
Did you know the kids at school call me Chrony because my dreams are real? I had a dream that a kid at school who bullied me died, and later he was found dead. I know things. The dreams told me.
Think about it, a chicken lays an egg, and the egg grows a new chicken.
RyuuKyuzo

Con

My opponent is certainly a crafty one, but I will still prevail!

Arguments

1. Proof of Ability

My Pro claims that his dreams are real. That is, they have a prophetic quality to them. This claim must be proven. I suggest Pro take up the James Randi 1 million dollar paranormal challenge [1]. All he has to do is agree to a formal test in front of independent witnesses. To date, no one has won the prize money, but if Pro is so sure of his nocturnal clairvoyance then he will surely succeed... right?

2. Not Always Prophetic

After proving his dream are, in fact, prophetic, Pro is then charged with the task of proving this dream in particular was prophetic. Meaning, he must plant an egg yolk and have a tree grow out of it. This must be done under the supervision of a 3rd party botanist to ensure validity, of course. To ensure that neither side is proven on a fluke, multiple yolks should be planted and multiple successes should be established. Until such time, Pro's BOP is unfulfilled.

3. Chicken > Egg >Chicken

Pro contends that chickens lay eggs and eggs grow new chickens. This is true, but this is how eggs work, not how fruits work as I've shown previously. Argument negated.

Defence of Arguments

No counter-arguments were given. I extend my arguments from round 1.

My opponent has an enormous BOP to fulfil -- one he most probably couldn't fill with an infinite amount of time, let alone in the next few days. I propose that Pro concede in the next round.

I look forward to your response.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
HarveyJason

Pro

My opponent says smart things. But I am yet the smarter. Thee wilth regret my corssing.
According to my sources, eggs can grow from female chickens. "Out of the fertile soil grows eggs" - Everybody
RyuuKyuzo

Con

I thank my opponent for his timely response.

Counter Arguments

1. According to my Sources

No source is given, so this claim is immediately dismissible

2. Eggs Can Grow From Female Chickens

This point is uncontested because it is both true and unrelated to bridging the gap between eggs and fruits.

3. "Out of the fertile soil grows eggs" - Everybody

I have no idea where this quote is coming from, but it's clearly metaphorical at best and completely made-up at worst.

Pro didn't so much as attempt to fulfill his BOP. More importantly however, I had a dream last night that I won this debate. If dreams count as evidence in this debate, then the voters must vote Con in accordance with my dream. This is a foregone conclusion.

Vote Con! =)
Posted by Costello 4 years ago
Costello
No.
Posted by adontimasu 4 years ago
adontimasu
The fakk is this? Seriously, what did I just read?
Posted by HarveyJason 4 years ago
HarveyJason
What on Earth am I debating!? Eggs are fruit!?
I take it back! Augh this was so stupid! Someone kill me or forfit the bedvate for me!
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
HarveyJasonRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: terrible arguments, no use of sources, no sign of advanced intelligence, easy win for the con
Vote Placed by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
HarveyJasonRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro pointed out a similitude: eggs are like fruit in some ways. But he undertook to prove that eggs are actually fruit, which he couldn't do. Victory Con.
Vote Placed by Magicr 4 years ago
Magicr
HarveyJasonRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments go to Con for obvious reasons. Stephen, I know your heart is probably breaking from this counter, but I have no choice.
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
HarveyJasonRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ryuu used arguments, but Harvey convinced me using superior intelligence. This'll most likely be countered anyway, but there's always hope... probably... or is there.