adodowa99
Loyalty

Are electronics ruining the youth of America?

Started: 9/17/2013 Category: Technology

adodowa99

Pro

Electronics are ruining the youth of America, because when parents give into a child begging for an electronic, the child ends up ignoring their parent and spend all their time on their device. I know this because I have done this. I begged for one then once i got it, i started ignoring my parents, not doing my homework, getting into trouble at school etc.. Even though kids may need a cell phone to get ahold of their parent after extra curricular activities, it still causes distractions. No matter how old you get, people still pay attention to their electronic device more than they pay attention to people. Take a night out with friends, you spend half of the night on your phone, then the other half wishing you brought a charger so you could go back on your phone. Also a date, you both have your phone in your pocket, or in your hand, and are urging to check the new "bizz" on Facebook.
Loyalty

Con

I feel as though the pro side is simply speaking from a misconception of where the root of the problem is. Yes, there is an issue that youth abuse technology. But it is exactly that and nothing more; youth abusing technology.

For example, one of the points stated by side opposition is that even on a date, one would have their cellphone constantly buzzing trying to keep you up to date with what's happening on Facebook. Yet, this is completely a personal choice, and is in n way forced by the technology. I for one, have Facebook mobile on my phone as well, but it only buzzes important notifications (someone posted in an important work group I'm in, someone tagged me somewhere, etc.) As such, I am not 100% atached to my phone, and for the most part, only important updates will interrupt me. Yet, these are still justified as they are important, and if not (someone tagged me in a comment on a funny picture or such), then I will simply leave the notification there as a reminder for later, and return to the real world.

Another prime example, is my laptop. Since I discovered mobility of computers, I refuse to go back to a desktop. I try to carry my laptop and wires with me wherever I go. I have approximately 3 hours of sleep for weeks on end before I need to recover due to my usage, even so, I am not ruined by this. This "excessive usage" gives me the opportunity to study and finish all my work whenever I please and at a much faster rate. In addition, I pick up a healthy hobby here and there, such as animation. This helps me develop skills and maintain my life, while being a click or two away from entertainment in the next tab.

As such, the point I am attempting to make here, is that the issue is not the tool itself, in this case electronic technology. It is merely the people who choose to obsess over who uploads what "selfie" on Facebook and instragram every moment of every day, and not pursue other hobbies. A familiar and potent example to make this more clear, would be to blame food on obesity. Yes, you need to use it to cause the issue at hand, but to use it in that way is still completely up to you and merely a choice.

In conclusion, side opposition, although having good intentions and a some rather decent background on the situation, simply made a small mistake in the conclusion, by attributing the blame where it was not due. But it is a common mistake, and as such is nowhere near the point of ignorance. In fact, I want to thank the pro side for bringing this up, as it is only when people leave problems undiscussed and unresolved that they turn worse. Man will always invent, and although one could've argued the wheel made us weaker, we certainly don't agree so today. Thank you.
adodowa99

Pro

Even though technology isn't taking control on your life it is still absorbing many other children's lives. Most children 8 to 12 have cell phones. 75 percent of kids in America have cellphones 12-17. If you look at the facts, children who have cellphones ignore their parents more than kids who don't. My argument is not necessarily about everybody, but about kids 17 and under. The facts simply state that kids ignore their parents and don't do their homework due to their cell phone usage.
Loyalty

Con

Yet again, this isn't due to the technology, it's due to the children, and the way they perceive the need to use technology. Now, since this system is established, it is a lot harder to shake, but it is still not the fault of the technology itself for this. Since technology is advertised as a need, and so many features of it as well, of course impressionable youth will take this more to heart than those who already have opinons and stances on subjects such as these. Even so, one musn't blame technology itself for the issue. As I said, it is in the way children are using this technology and the way companies are advertising it. Everything mankind makes/uses can have either a positive or negative impact, it all depends on how we (or children) use it.
adodowa99

Pro

Yes, even so your argument may be valid, the children learn from the technology. They take after what they see on the internet, or TV shows. Take Jersey Shore for example, every one drinks, there's drama, and crude behavior. Technology has killed over 4500 kids each year, due to cyber bullying. If technology didn't help make the internet, imagine how many people would still be alive. Children of our days are always busy on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and other social networking sites. All the drama and bullying that happens on the internet on these sites, happen because the TV shows (technology) reflects on them and shows them how they "should" act towards others. Without technology, People wouldn't so obese. People would get off their butt's and do things. Now, a conference call can be held over Skype, instead of all getting together in a room discussing things, they do it over technology. Children use technology for inappropriate usage. Without technology children would care more about what's going on with the world than what's going on, on Facebook.
Loyalty

Con

I think the issue here is a miscommunication. I'm simply re-stating my point again, nothing of what you have mentioned is technology itself. This is all the doing of people themselves, and how people misuse technology that is causing all these issues.

For example, a piece of technology that is both great and bad for mankind. TNT. When TNT was invented, it was meant to be a remote explosive for the army. This is an example of people misusing technology. The reason its not the TNT's fault, is because as we later learned, we can instead use it for clearing mines or destruction of old buildings. This proves that no matter of what technology is capable, whether it betters or worsens humanity, is not up to it. Rather, it is up to us as a society.

The point of kids learning from Jersey shore for example. This is not up to the television itself as to determine what shows people decide to create and which ones they watch. On the same technology, one could show their children something wholesome, such as Dora the Explorer, Bob the Builder, or even My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. These are all nice shows. Now of course, those are for the extremely young (except for evidently the third), but even at the age of 8, there are still wholesome shows for these children.

So again, it's not the technology that is ruining the youth of America, it is the people of America.
adodowa99

Pro

No. Because if we didnt have technology, we would have the tv shows that are making kids basically stupid. It's technology that is making the shows, it is technology why we have calculators and stuff. If we didnt have calculators we would actually have to work out our math problems ourselves. People don't realize that technology is basically frying the youth of America's brains with their nonsense. Look at the websites people look at for facts. They can make kids fail their test due to false information.
Loyalty

Con

I'm terribly sorry, but I simply can't make it anymore simple than this. Inanimate objects (non-living things), cannot on their own concious will (by their own choice) choose to create or do something. The gun does not pick a target, location, load itself, and fire itself, a person must do so. A spoon doesn't pull itself out of the kitchen drawer, open your freezer, open your ice cream, and shove it down your throat causing obesity. And most certainly, a television does not create a show, advertise it, and then force you to watch it. In every single regard imaginable, anything bad done to mankind or it's youth by our own creations is not its fault, but our own.

As for your statement, that if they did not exist, then we would have no modernized healthcare. We would not have space travel. We would not have planes, or cars. As I said before, everything we create can be used for either good or for bad, the choice is up to us. As people. Not as technology. So if the youth of America is being ruined, its definitely not by technology, but by America itself and humans all around the world.
adodowa99

Pro

adodowa99 forfeited this round.
Loyalty

Con

Either my opponent has simply failed to respond in sufficient time, or they were unable to counter my points, but they have sadly forfeited this round. As such, I have no new points to bring to the argument, although I only ever had one point to begin with. All else was fluff, explanation, and detail. I hope it is obvious to any and all reading this debate, that it is not the tools we create that ruin us, but ourselves. Thank you for anyone who has read this debate, and to anyone who chooses to vote. Please ensure comments are thoughtful and as criticising as possible, so that no matter who wins, they may also improve their debating skills, as such is a hope of mine. Thank you once again to all.