Are food manufacturers killing us with preservatives, steroids, and antibiotics?

Food manufacturers are not killing us with preservatives and various chemicals. Food today is much more processed but is not harmful.

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this thought-provoking topic. I will be arguing the Pro position that Food manufacturers are killing us with preservatives, steroids, and antibiotics.

First I will lay out some definitions -

Preservative: a substance added to a product to destroy or inhibit multiplication of microorganisms. [1]

Steroid: any of various compounds containing a 17-carbon 4-ring system and including the sterols and numerous hormones (as anabolic steroids or corticosteroids) and glycosides. [2]

Antibiotics: a substance produced by or a semisynthetic substance derived from a microorganism and able in dilute solution to inhibit or kill another microorganism. [3]

GMO: An organism whose genome has been altered in order to favour the expression of desired physiological traits or the output of desired biological products; commonly known as a Genetically Modified Organism. [4]

I believe food manufacturers are indeed killing us with preservatives and various chemicals. Food today is processed more, but that does not necessarily imply nor prove that food is not harmful. Since my opponent presented an argument in R1, I will do the same.

I. Genetically modified Corn has been linked to cancer tumors

A study released by The Food & Chemical Toxicology Journal proved a connection between the consumption of Roundup treated Corn manufactured by Monsanto and a 50% - 70% increase in premature deaths, a 200% - 300% rise in cancerous tumor growth, and severe organ damage within 1200 lab rats that were used as test subjects. [5] [6] I will include both a link to the article introducing the study and a link to the published study. [7]

As you can see, there are clearly observed connections between foods processed with chemicals, including pesticides, that do, in fact, lead to deaths i.e., killings caused by the food manufacturers.

II. There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that food manufacturers are not killing us.

This issue is expanded on brilliantly by an article released on which is an excellent source for finding any and all information for healthy foods and lifestyles. In summation, the article focuses on the myth that, "No one has ever been made ill by a GM food." The conclusion was that there is no scientific evidence to support such a claim, and essentially relates to the very resolution at hand. [8]

The reason for the conclusion was two-fold. First, the article points out that the reason it is difficult to know if there is a link with GM foods and ill effects is because they are not generally labelled in the US and consumers are not monitored for health effects. In addition, health effects would have to be recorded and reported by a centralized body that the public knew about and that could collate data as it came in and identify correlations. Currently, there is no such monitoring body in place anywhere.

Secondly, the article introduced a case of illness that was linked to GM foods.

It occurred in 1989 in the US, a food supplement, L-tryptophan, produced using GM bacteria, was found to be toxic, killing 37 people and permanently disabling over 1500 others. [9]

In Conclusion,

I have presented two arguments that both provide verifiable evidence that support my position that food manufacturers are killing us with preservatives, steroids, and antibiotics. I will be more than happy to share more cases as this debate unfolds considering the vast amount of supporting evidence that is currently available. I look forward to seeing what further arguments my opponent may present, and will now turn the floor over to him. Thank you.

graceek forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited Round 2.

Unfortunately, this leaves me with nothing to rebut and I extend all arguments as they currently remain standing unchallenged.

I look forward to the final round of this debate. Thank you.

graceek forfeited this round.

My opponent was online all day yesterday. I went so far as to message him asking for a reply. Nothing. Instead he starts a new debate with the same topic. Total waste of my time, terrible conduct.

My opponent has once again forfeited. All arguments remain unchallenged and my opponent clearly had nothing to say after the first round due to the valid evidence I presented.

I thank the audience for the time. Vote Pro.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
It's whatever. What got me though was that you didn't just concede and instead made me wait for every round to expire. Annoying to say the least, but it's all good I suppose. Best of luck in your debating career young one.
Posted by graceek 2 years ago
I'm sorry friends I was confused
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Exactly! I couldn't believe he forfeited round 2 and 3 when I literally saw that he was online the entire time it was his turn to post. Instead of replying he ends up starting another one... ridiculous.
Posted by IAlwaysLoseDebates 2 years ago
Why has the con started the same debate three times with three different people and doesn't even post on them. I don't understand the point of him creating these if he doesn't have the decency to post on them.
Posted by Jevinigh 2 years ago
Hey con, where are you from?
Vote Placed by Mhykiel 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: for forfeit