selena16
GMZ3R0

Are gay people equal? I say yes

selena16

Pro

I believe that they are equal no matter what my parents think. They are humans to they were born the way we were, they breath the same air. They just knew what they wanted and who they were and are able to except more things. To be honest some of my friends are gay even my best friend is. It doesn't phase me or make me dis her. She is actually the easiest person to talk to because she is open to new ideas and she is so much more understanding when no one else is.
GMZ3R0

Con

Technically, they are not 'equal'. They are more likely to get AIDS and be discriminated against. To their credit, they are more intelligent on average, but even that is technically an inequality.

Equal rights? Rights don't exist, only temporary privileges, but that's a whole other topic altogether.

I can't imagine there's a lot more to say here.

Continue if you want, Pro.
selena16

Pro

Saying that they are not equal is like saying that blacks shouldn't have rights, but they do. Are you going dehumanize the gays because of their ways of life, like the whites did with the natives. Are you going to let people suffer because of who they are.
GMZ3R0

Con

I never said I'd dehumanise gays, I never said I'd make them suffer in any way. I have nothing against them; they're intelligent and are tremendous for birth control (we need to curb overpopulation, right?)

'Equality' is a very ambiguous word; sometimes it means a Marxist quotas, sometimes it means fair treatment (what you seem to be talking about) and other times it means equitable :

A chess player doesn't have the same skills as a tight rope walker. They are unequal.

A homosexual doesn't have the same sexual preference as a straight man. They are unequal.

Unequal in the sense that they are different and sometimes incompatible (not that that's is necessarily a bad thing.)

We don't have rights, only temporary privileges. give gays the same temporary privileges if you want, I'm not revolting.

I hope this clears things up for you. Take it easy in the last round.
selena16

Pro

I know but, saying that they shouldn't be equally is basically saying that they don't deserve to be treated the same everyone else, when they do, they are just like me or you one of your friends could be gay and you wouldn't know. I used to not like gays until I realized that they aren't really that different.
GMZ3R0

Con

No, to describe people as unequal (in the sense I used it) doesn't negate equal treatment.

Your question was specifically "Are gay people equal?" Not "Should gay people be treated equally?"

To the former, I'd say no, as I've explained in R2; 2 5, they are unequal.

But this debate is about people. With regards to human decency, and the latter question, of course they should be treated equally as our fellow beings. They shouldn't be perceived as Marxist cookie cut-outs.

Once you understand the semantic difference, you'll find that we mostly agree with each other.

Good luck in the voting period.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
What does that mean
Posted by GMZ3R0isback 1 year ago
GMZ3R0isback
Lol, younger people always seem to think they're the mature ones in any matter. Let's face it, you're not.

But then again, no one is. Immaturity is a part of the human condition.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
Guys can we please remain mature in this matter
Posted by GMZ3R0 1 year ago
GMZ3R0
How astute of you, Edgeworth.
Posted by Blazzered 1 year ago
Blazzered
Most who are against homosexuality are religious.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
You people just can't see things the way younger people do I am 16 and I agree that they should have their rights, my parents say no to it but I couldn't care less what they say about it. Because people deserve to express themselves the way they want, they should be afraid to show who they are.
Posted by Kukithan 1 year ago
Kukithan
I don't agree with the gay life style, but I say they should have rights.
Posted by GMZ3R0 1 year ago
GMZ3R0
Some say it's nature's birth control, which should come in handy for our overpopulated world.
Posted by HoKiaJunn 1 year ago
HoKiaJunn
Gays do not fit in the natural order, if function does not meet with design many unnecessary problems would occur. And if one may ask what determines the natural order? It is simply like this, if men were gay and were attracted no men only, the human race would become extinct, vice versa for females.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
No not always