red_x
RoyalDark

Are grades a good measure of students knowledge?

red_x

Con

Comment if you would like to debate with me.

First round acceptance

second round post arguments

third round rebuttal

fourth round post more arguments

fifth round rebuttal to previous arguments/conclusion

No swearing,(crap, damn, shite are allowed.)

If you might forfeit please don't comment.

Vote fairly and may the better debater win?
RoyalDark

Pro

Hello. I am looking forward to this debate. I will be supporting that grades are a good measure of students knowledge.
Good luck red_x, may the best debater, (is that the right term?), win!
red_x

Con

Grades are not good because they bring students self esteem down. Not only do grades cause low self esteem but they aren't a measure of students knowledge but rather a test of how well a student follows orders. Most students don't like being told what to do. Which isn't fair. School isn't a test about knowledge, it is a test about following orders from people higher up on the hierarchy.
RoyalDark

Pro

Grades are an essential part of the schooling environment. They are a motivational tool as well as a representation of how well someone is doing. For example, if a student who has straight A's has his/her grade slip to a B, they will feel motivated and put more effort in to get a higher grade, resulting in more knowledge in the class being discussed. Let's pretend that you have access to a whole class's grades and get to spend one day in class with the students. All the students with F's are joking around in the back of the room, texting, and talking to each other. Meanwhile, the kids with higher grades are paying attention, taking notes, and actively contributing to class.

Furthermore, grades is a term defined by the Merriam-Webster dictionary as "a number or letter that indicates how a student performed in a class or on a test". The entire point of grades is to tell how much a student knows about something, and in numerical grades, this is based on percentage-based scores. It is necessary for the teachers/professors to know as well how much the students know, so they can focus on the student, offer tutoring, and teach differently, if required. As the comedian Daniel Tosh said, "I hate when people say I'm a bad test taker. You mean you hate the part where we find out what you know?"

To summarize, grades are essential for many reasons, the most prominent being motivational tools, a representation of the student, and how much of the material the student knows. These are important facets that are required for learning, which is why grades much still be used in the learning environment.
red_x

Con

While yes they can be motivational they can also be a detriment... Ponder this, a 17 year old male is in school trying his damned hardest to get good grades and hold them there but he just keeps slipping no matter how often he goes in for help he can't understand the material as well as everybody else. He looks at his report card for the end of the year he sees his hard work has paid off. In the classes he's already good in. His math he has an F. Now after trying his damned hardest and still failed, why would he try in that class anymore when he can focus his efforts elsewhere.

Now about the bad test taker. I am a bad test taker. Now what I mean by that is not that I don't know the info on the test. But rather that I get incredibly stressed about the test and end up messing up the questions because I get nervous and second guess myself.
RoyalDark

Pro

Grades actually ARE a measure of the student's knowledge. They tell how much the student knows of the specific subject being taught. Overall knowledge is often tested through standardized tests. But, it is NOT just following orders. The teacher lectures the students and helps them learn it. The teachers are there to provide help and give a deeper understanding of what is taught. It is the teacher's job to tell them what to study (i.e. study guides), but that is not just about following the orders of the teacher for no reason. It is so that the students can learn more.

Now obviously there are exceptions to my example, (where the F students are just messing around in class), but that is obviously not always the case. The 17 year old in your example is struggling in math, which is an issue. However, that does not mean that the grades are not a good measurement of knowledge. Perhaps the class is moving too fast, the student is having trouble focusing, or some other issue. That is why there are remedial classes, or the student could go down to a regular course instead of taking an Honors class. But that is precisely why we have grades. Grades help demonstrate how well the student is receiving the material and if the course needs to be changed or they need tutoring so that they can fully receive all of the material the course covers.

P.S. The quote from the comedian was merely a joke. Of course people get anxious and worried from tests. I myself get nervous during tests. I was just providing a quote I found funny, not a point to my argument.
red_x

Con

Why in fact are you panting out that the people in the back of the room screwing around are not caring? Because they may have perfect grades and can do that because they are smart. They just don't want to do the work, While yes if you do the assignments and hand them in your grade reflects your knowledge, if you don't do the work it jests reflects that, which is why they need to switch from letter grading to a better job of reflecting that. While yes letter grades are a good form right now they won't be for now, it isn't the best it could be it could be better. I don't have a new system for it as an example but it could be better. How I don't know but this is not the right system for right now.
RoyalDark

Pro

The grades point out how well you do on the work. The work does teach you the knowledge. The tests/quizzes/exams test that knowledge that you have learned in the class. You WILL not learn if you do not participate at all. The people screwing around simply DO NOT CARE if they are not participating in class at all (i.e. following lecture, homework, classwork). If they are not participating whatsoever, you will not learn, and this will reflect in your grades. The grades are reflecting exactly how much you learn.

A grading scale is simply required by the school district to promote success. Repeatedly getting good grades, either means you are trying hard an persevering throughout your work or you are naturally intelligent. This is a major reason for the grading scale: it shows who is, for lack of a better word, smartest at the course. It demonstrates who is doing the best in the class and it is an essential part to school.
red_x

Con

While yes they can be good, there are other ways to motivate students to get their grades up. With grades alot of people just think, oh well, its just a letter. Why not give away prizes, nit big ones, but maybe some coupons or something. May e we move to a more physical way of grading again. A star system perhaps. Don't use the stars this is just an example. Using a physical system could get more students interested in this. After reaching a certain amount of stars they get a prize.

In short the students need something more physical to get them involved in their work. Letter grades just aren't doing it.

sorry for spelling errors if there are any I had to do this on my cell phone.
RoyalDark

Pro

Grades are more than just how good you do. Grades demonstrate your knowledge and how much you know. A star system may work for lower schoolers, however in high school and college, your grades affect your life. They are not jokes. How much you learn in school cannot be demonstrated through a prize given out. Every SINGLE college looks at grades because they display how much you know.

Grades are an essential need for school. It motivates students to learn and progress through school, which helps them get into college. College gives better jobs and this is all through grades. There is no better system for grades, and grades DO prove exactly who has the most knowledge, whether out of ability or from hard work.
Posted by red_x 1 year ago
red_x
That took less time than I thought it would!
Posted by red_x 1 year ago
red_x
Posted by red_x 1 year ago
red_x
Posted by RoyalDark 1 year ago
RoyalDark
I would like to debate you. :)