TURTLEPANTS
SJM

Are hamburgers sandwiches?

TURTLEPANTS has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

TURTLEPANTS

Pro

Hamburgers are sandwiches. They consist of meat, a vegetable, and condiments placed between two buns.
SJM

Con

So in order for my opponent to win this debate, my opponent has to prove ALL hamburgers are sandwiches, since he didn't put any quantifiers before hamburgers.

Therefore, I have to provide at least a situation in which a hamburger doesn't fulfill this requirement. "two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between" https://www.merriam-webster.com...

So if you look at the definition of hamburger, it says " ground beef" https://www.merriam-webster.com...

Nowhere does "ground beef" entail buns, therefore failing the requirement of "two or more slices of bread"
TURTLEPANTS

Pro

Thank you for responding to my debate, but unfortunately one of the links you provided contradicts the side from which you stand. Webster's dictionary does define "Hamburger" as "ground beef" or "a patty of ground beef". However, if you read the full page you will discover that it is also defined as, "A SANDWICH consisting of a patty of hamburger in a split typically round bun." https://www.merriam-webster.com...
SJM

Con

My opponent's response is only that the definition later on the website contradicts it, but this is when we get into battling definitions, as to which one to accept. Seeing as he provided no counter definition and the reason to prefer the counter definition, the debate proceeds with my definition.

By my opponent's logic, any word we tried to use would be self contradictory because of there being more than one definition on the internet.

Remind yourselves that in this debate, I'm only required to stop my opponent from proving his side.
TURTLEPANTS

Pro

Unfortunately, my opponent apparently did not read my full response, because if he had he would have noticed that I did provide a counter definition. As I quoted from Merriam-Webster.com, "A sandwich consisting of a patty of hamburger in a split typically round bun." Now, you claim that I need to provide definitions from other sources, so here you go:
Dictionary.com: "A sandwich consisting of a cooked patty of ground or chopped beef, usually in a roll or bun, variously garnished."
en.oxforddictionaries.com: "A flat round cake of minced beef, fried or grilled and typically served in a bread roll garnished with various condiments."
thefreedictionary.com: "1.
a. Ground meat, usually beef.
b. A patty of such meat.
2. A sandwich made with a patty of ground meat usually in a roll or bun."
All of these definitions define a hamburger as a type of sandwich.
SJM

Con

What I meant by my opponent has provided no counter definition, is that he still HAS NOT given a reason to prefer his definition over mine.

This is why I mentioned the definition debate, my opponent has not talked about any reason to prefer his definition, and in fact mentions my definition as well, without establishing which one to use.

My opponent can not just bring up a definition that says something else, and say my definition is wrong, because by this logic so would his, and pretty much any definition of a word in the whole world.
Posted by Sonofcharl 1 year ago
Sonofcharl
You beat me to it SJM.
A hamburger is the meaty bit, The bun is a completely separate issue.