dykevandick
DawnBringerRiven

Are human beings evil

dykevandick has forfeited round #3.

dykevandick

Pro

I believe that majority of human beings are evil. Whether sub consciously or not we screw up the earth with fishing,pollution and other stuff, a lot of the times for profit. Given this i believe that because we are not actively seeking to do good we are doing evil.

"There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you're going to be part of the problem"~ Elderidge Cleaver
DawnBringerRiven

Con

What is evil and what is not is entirely subjective. Even the most controversial human in existence, Adolf Hitler, is not seen as evil by every person on the planet. The very idea of evil is nothing more than a human construct. Evil does not truly exist, it isn't tangible. Objective evil doesn't exist the same way objective beauty does not exist. Evil is only in the eye of the beholder.

Since evil is nothing more than personal oppinion then it can not be said that all human beings are evil for a fact. Oppinions are never absolute.
dykevandick

Pro

Evil is very real and very tangible and as i have said in my previous argument, that if you are not doing good you are doing evil. A person who killed 6 million innocent jews for shits and giggles is most definitely evil.

Con he raised the point that evil is a human construct therefore is he willing to say that the killing of innocent live is ok? That isis means well?

I'd beg to differ. For every one good soul on earth there are thousands that are evil maybe not full on killing evil but they do not care who they trod on to bring themselves up, those who neglect the needy,those who are downright wasteful.

Furthermore, my point has been agreed with for a long time as can be seen by a quote from one of mark twain's works "He is the only animal that has it. It is the secret of his degradation. It is the quality which enables him to do wrong. It has no other office. It is incapable of performing any other function. It could never have been intended to perform any other. Without it, man could do no wrong..."

Thus I strongly believe that we as a species are evil
DawnBringerRiven

Con

"Evil is tangible. If you are not doing good then you are doing evil. This is evident as a well known individual said so."

Pro makes a bare assertion that evil is tangible without explaining why this is the case. I will extend why evil is not tangible. Evil is simply an opinion. Evil is not made of any material. You can not touch evil, therefore it is not tangible. Before the rebuttal arises such as, "There are evil people that exist and touching them is touching evil itself," I will address this statement now. Since evil is simply opinion, it is not tangible the same as comedy is not tangible. If you touch a comical individual you are not touching comedy itself. You are simply touching an individual. You can not measure the size or volume of comedy itself. Evil is not made of any material/is not tangible the same way comedy is not tangible. The quote, "If you are not doing good then you are doing evil," is flawed. There is no universally agreed upon (every single individual on the planet), strict, and well defined criteria for determining what is evil and what is not. Other than religions, what is determined to be evil is ultimately up to the individual. Simply because a prestigious individual says this to be true does not make it so. The statement that Hitler is "most definitely" evil is flawed. Simply because you feel strongly in your belief does not make that belief any more credible. There are many individuals that feel strongly that Hitler is not evil. Before Pro attempts to say "Those individuals are all Neo-Nazis/Nazi sympathizers, therefore they are evil by default," I will address this statement now. Those individuals are not at all exclusive to Neo-Nazis. An individual not believing that Hitler is evil does not directly mean that said individual supports Hitler. An argument from such individuals could be said as follows, "Hitler did indeed kill six million people, but greatly bettered the lives of over thirty million Germans. Hitler acted for the greater good, therefore he is not evil." I do not agree or disagree with this statement as whether an individual is evil or not is ultimately up to self-interpretation. Keep in mind that I am not attempting to prove that Hitler is not evil. I am asserting that Hitler is not absolutely evil, meaning that there is not an absolute consensus that Hitler is evil.

"Con states that evil is a human construct, therefore he must also believe that killing innocents is not always evil. Surely Con does not believe this to be the case."

I surely do believe that to be the case. ISIS is simply following the morality of their God. We may consider the victims of ISIS innocents, but to them those victims are far from innocent. Who is determined to be innocent and who isn't is ultimately up to the individual. Though, this statement still implies that I believe killing individuals who I consider innocent is always evil. I do not believe this and will further clarify. There are no absolute rules to morality. Morality is an extremely vague concept. What criteria individuals use to determine what is evil and what is not is different from person to person. It just so happens that my criteria for what is evil does not include innocents. I do not consider humans unrelated to a catastrophic event to simply stop being humans and suddenly become "innocents". The same way a hurricane is not evil by killing people unrelated to its purpose, humans are not always evil for killing individuals unrelated to their purpose either. Keep in mind this is simply my opinion and is not at all relevant to discuss in length to prove that humans are not absolutely evil. I simply gave my opinion to clarify why I do not hold the belief that "innocents" being killed is always evil.

"Many people have agreed with my belief as evident by this quote from the famous author Mark Twain."

Even if the vast majority of the planet agreed with you for an extended period of time as well as a famous author, that does not at all mean that your belief is any more credible. The vast majority of the planet strongly believed the Sun orbits the Earth, as said by the famous Ptolemy, for centuries. [1] That belief was ultimately shown to be completely and utterly false. This claim does nothing to support the stance that all humans are evil. In relation to morality, if every individual on the planet held the same moral belief there would be an absolute rule, but that simply is not the case. A general consensus never means an absolute consensus. Since there is no moral rule that is universally agreed upon by every individual on the planet, then there is no absolute rules of morality and that includes evil. There is no such thing as absolute evil.

Source:

[1] http://www.polaris.iastate.edu...
Posted by DawnBringerRiven 6 months ago
DawnBringerRiven
I do hope that you are not planning to forfeit Dyke.
Posted by KostasT.1526 6 months ago
KostasT.1526
@dykenvandick
One can do that only if they should accept a certain moral code and its postulations as true, but this is something logically fallacious, as morality is neither objective nor universal.
Concerning my response to Masterful, you might want to have a look at his other debates to understand what I mean.
Posted by dykevandick 6 months ago
dykevandick
so @kostas u agree u can classify something as evil
Posted by KostasT.1526 6 months ago
KostasT.1526
I was under the impression that you were not against torturing infants, Masterful.
Posted by Masterful 6 months ago
Masterful
Torturing infants for fun is evil. Even an autist with no empathy understands that much.
Posted by KostasT.1526 6 months ago
KostasT.1526
Morality is not objective, and therefore one cannot soundly label something evil.