SuperiorIntelligence
profjb

Are humans above the animals of the world?

SuperiorIntelligence

Pro

Hello and welcome to me and profjb's next philosphical discussion.
This time, we'll discuss whether humans are above or 'higher' than animals.
To maximize our discussion, argument sizes of 10,000 characters are used, as well as a total of 5 rounds.
Voters, ARGUMENTS POINTS ARE TO BE GIVEN to the person who was most intriguing arguments! No Spelling or Grammar or any other points are to given to either side!
As this is a discussion, the poses of Pro/Con mean nothing, and we can voice any opinion we like.

Now we have cleared that up, I'll begin the discussion.

Humans. We've invented cars, internet, fire, drugs, cigarettes, atom bombs and income tax. But are we right when we say we're higher than animals?
One of things I think is that humans techinically commit genocide every day, as many animals go extinct. You won't see the average spider or snake do that.
We can't be called superior, for we invented the atom bomb. That is a horrible weapon, and I dread when it will be once again used in combat. Killing hundreds of thousands with a single missile or bomb, its terrible.
What do you think?
I believe we can't be said to be above animals. The world we've created is rather unsophisticated. Crime, Communism (Ugh), death penalty, drugs, suicidal idiots, global warming..
Unbelievably rich people and unbelievably poor people, 17 trillion $ debt (The United States economy is in a... bad state.) Developing countries still exist way, way after the Industrial Revolution.
All these are characteristics of the human world.
In no way are we above animals.
I hope our debate goes well, like our first one about death. May we provoke thought in the masses.

P.S That sounded ridiculously like an anarchist way of thinking. I am not an anarchist or any other anti-human, I'm just saying this for the debate.

If you wish to view our other discussion, 'Can we understand death?' go here:http://www.debate.org...
Enjoy
profjb

Con

'We can't be called superior, for we invented the atom bomb'. Completely disagree. Being higher than animals often gives us better abilities, we can discuss things through talking and reason. Animals often only develop one type of defense and thats to attack the other.

Climate wise we're superior to. Excluding the rat we are the only other living things that have adapted to survive in all climates.

Also some seem to forget that we ourselfs are still animals. We are part of the same kingdom animalia and share the same trates thylum and class all relate to other animals.

Some scientists from loughborough university also predict that if we did ever go into an ice age,unlike the dinasours as humans 24% of the population would survive if a 10km asteriod hit us.

I partly agree with your point about global warming etc... personally I go by newtons law on this as I believe in great achievement comes an equal price, in this case our planet.

p.s. Sorry for the late reply, I hate writing lots and havent been around much. Apologies!
SuperiorIntelligence

Pro

Thank you for participating. Sorry, but I'm going to do a reallllllly long rebuttal.

Animals only develop limited defence because that's all they need, they've reached their pinnacle. Humans, however, have been raging war since... I am not aware, since that fact goes way, way beyond now. Animals simplicity prevents them from having the problems we have in our society. The atom bomb was a terrible invention, even by our own perception. That's why the United Nations banned its use in combat.

Climate wise, yes, we can adapt to all climates. Although bacteria do the same over time, through mutations. In Darwin's theory of evolution, there is a natural selection part. Bacteria are a prime example of this, for they mutate all the time, and that is why humans keep developing medicine.
Also, global warming. We are adapted to the climates, but we are wrecking it, through our 'superior manufacturing'. Check out China.

Yes, we are still animals. Doesn't mean we're higher if we are or not, just that we're similar in a way.

The dinosaurs aren't extinct. The avian (bird) dinosaurs survived that missile. So, if they can survive, we're simply matching them. Source: http://www.tor.com...

Global warming again. Yes, Newton's Law applies here. Although one of the reasons that GW is so proficient is the fact that politicians don't seem to do much. I understand that, as cutting off heavy-polluting factories would severely damage their budget.

Phew, Rebuttals finished.

We invented the idea of economy. Humans suck at being economically fair. The Democratic Republic of the Congo has a GDP (PPP) ["GDP based on purchasing power parity"] of only 394.25 per capita (1000 people).
The richest country in the world, Qatar (A small country you've probably never heard of off the east coast of Saudi Arabia, alas its the richest country.) has a GDP (PPP) of 100,889 per capita. Ridiculously unfair. How a tiny gets so rich is beyond me, but its true.

We also invented crime. The idea of killing another of your kind for non-survival purposes, for money and revenge, is unethical and horrible. The vast majority of animals do not kill their own kind freely like our murderers do. Additionally, we steal for pleasure and wealth, unlike animals, which steal for courtship and survival purposes.

As I said earlier, the human race commit genocide every day, against the animals we are 'so superior to'. 200 species go extinct every day. Hitler's Holocaust of the Jews was horrible, and extremely racist. The human race are not superior than animals for we have the potential to be truly evil, in crime, fraud, genocide and such.

Our extinction is certain, yet uncertain. We are so very advanced in medicine and safety, and yet we impend our own doom through global warming and the now ever-present threat of nuclear war. We haven't
'evolved' much over the last thousand years, we've just come up with ideas.

Profjb, I've written a long-winded Round 2 argument. It is the longest argument I've ever written on this site. It took a lot out of me, and I was bored a lot, but I enjoyed it. Continue with your side.
Thank you for participating.

I guess now that we've turned this discussion into a debate, and so what I said about voting in Round 1 is revoked. Voters, vote as you would normally for any debate. Still no vote-bombing.

P.S Wow, I'm so formal nowadays. Ever since joining that strict gamer group I've lost a lot of my casualness. All for the better.

More Sources: [2] http://www.mapsofworld.com...
[3] http://www.gfmag.com...
[4] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
profjb

Con

-Bacteria arent animals...

-The line 'Animals simplicity prevents them from having the problems we have in our society.' absolutely completely wrong,if your talking about ALL the problems in society,all hierachy related problems can be found in reptiles, mammals. You name it. Our terrotorial side can be found in many animals to marking there area with urine and other techniques.

- We also share the same behaviour as animals, our 'fight or flight' instincts will technically keep us on the same level as animals.

-No not all dinasours are extinct, you are correct on that.

-First of all, if animals where humans they would commit crimes, killing other animals or their own young in some cases. As humans we like to put a word to everything the only thing thats made is the word crime and what it stands for... we didn't create crime.

-Animals don't commit genocide but certainly a lot of carnovores would eat their young or fight a predator of the same species off and eat it. http://theweek.com...

-Overall I think you've got this all wrong and I stand by my point. You seem to think that because we invent things that do our own species harm that makes us less inteligent and lower than animals. You may not like to hear this but some of the greatest inventions inteligence wise are inventions such as the atom bomb because they made such a big impact on human society. We are pushed in engineering and science by our mistakes and our world and knowlege wouldnt be anywhere near as diverse as it is today.

p.s. I do this a lot, im very relaxed in my posts. Mainly look for the information you want, oh and I don't use sources much,most of it is from my own knowledge, which is 80% correct :P.
SuperiorIntelligence

Pro

SuperiorIntelligence forfeited this round.
profjb

Con

profjb forfeited this round.
SuperiorIntelligence

Pro

profjb

Con

profjb forfeited this round.
SuperiorIntelligence

Pro

profjb

Con

profjb forfeited this round.
Posted by SuperiorIntelligence 3 years ago
SuperiorIntelligence
Yeh...
Everyone, this debate is cancelled due to profjb's account issues.
And also my lack of time in the period he lost it.
Posted by profjb58 3 years ago
profjb58
Oh because aparently it wasnt the email I used, so im not sure which account i logged on at , trust me I spent 30 mins trying to figure it out.
SuperiorIntelligence
Just post your stuff in comments.
P.S Why dont you reset your pass?
Posted by profjb58 3 years ago
profjb58
Oh thats fine, I couldn't even find my original account password so im having to usethis one now. :(. So unfortunatly I wont be able to contribute either. Apologies!
Posted by profjb58 3 years ago
profjb58
SuperiorIntelligence
I sorely apologize for forfeiting Round 3, I had way too much real life stuff going on in the 3 days it was due.
Wednesday, Morning and Afternoon taken up by extracurricular.
Thursday, Afternoon taken by extracurricular
Friday Afternoon taken by tennis training.
yeh, I had too much on.
Ill try my hardest to get on with round 4.
Sorry, SuperiorIntelligence
Posted by profjb 3 years ago
profjb
p.s. please forget my comment about creatures killing their own young, you mentioned that.