tmar19652
Firewolfman

Are humans meant to be monogamous?

tmar19652

tmar19652

Con

I do not feel that humans are meant to be monogamous. The first round is for acceptance and clarification only.
Firewolfman

Pro

I accept; and I wish to offer a definition of the word monogamous so that we can clearly center our arguments around agreed apon definitions-that both of us deem valid, and legitament.

A commonly used dictionary website, dictionary.com is what I will use.
Link: http://dictionary.reference.com...

Note: This definition is copied from the link, you can also view dictionary.com to see the same thing as I wrote.

Definition:
Mo-nog-a-mous
adjective

1.practicing or advocating monogamy.
2.of or pertaining to monogamy.

Origin: 1760""70; < Late Latin monogamus < Greek mon"gamos marrying only once. See mono-, -gamous

Related forms:
mo"nog"a"mous"ly, adverb.
mo"nog"a"mous"ness, noun.
non"mo"nog"a"mous, adjective.
non"mo"nog"a"mous"ly, adverb.

Post Script: If my opponent questions the validty of me using this source to define 'monogamous', then please say any objections or acceptance in R2.

Now, I look forward to R2, and I thank my viewers and my opponent, and I am looking forward to the next round!

Back to you, Con!
tmar19652

Con

1. We are mammals, and if we look to the mammalian world, just 3 to 5% of the about 5,000 species of mammals form lifelong, monogamous bonds - this is the case of beavers, wolves, gibbons, jackals, foxes, some bats, dwarf deer and antelopes. Usually in these cases monogamy developed for the good of the offspring, as in a pair could acquire more food or shelter than a single animal. However, why in a day of supermarkets, or pre-built houses is monogamy necessary?
- Source: http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. Second, debates aside, humans are still evolving. Therefore, monogamy goes against the principle of natural selection. If the men or women with the “best” traits are tied up with one spouse, it limits the number of genetically superior offspring they can have. In addition, the rich would be better able to take care of many children, as in feeding them or sending them to college, so in these cases, why should they be tied down by monogamy?

3. Christopher Ryan, Author of Sex at Dawn talks about why monogamy is unnatural.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TN6lvMfsDeE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Therefore, for the betterment of the human race, for humans to progress, monogamy is not necessary nor is it natural or is it true that humans are meant to be monogamous.

Firewolfman

Pro

Firewolfman forfeited this round.
tmar19652

Con

please extend my arguments to this round.
Firewolfman

Pro

Firewolfman forfeited this round.
tmar19652

Con

please extend my arguments to this round. Vote Con!
Firewolfman

Pro

I would like to start out by saying that I am truly sorry, as unexpected events, and a death in the family led to my unability to post an argument. I apologize for ruining this debate, although I would love to have a restarted debate between me and you, on the same topic-as I truly was looking forward to debating with you-as you seem like a good opponent, who will make me stretch my brain cells :). So sorry about the forefeits, and all voters should give points to Con, as I failed to post an argument therefore he wins by default.

Posted by tmar19652 4 years ago
tmar19652
Sorry for your loss firewolfman.
Posted by tmar19652 4 years ago
tmar19652
I accept your clarifications.
Vote Placed by DoctorDeku 4 years ago
DoctorDeku
tmar19652FirewolfmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
tmar19652FirewolfmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.