Mscn101
jh1234l

Are humans the cause for extinction of other species?

Mscn101

Pro

I believe that humans are the cause of extinction of many different species of animals. I believe this because humans are doing such things as taking their habitats, poaching, they are doing all the things in pure entertainment for themselves and many people use animals to survive. The habitats that they are dismantling are being used to expand cities and make many exotic resorts.
jh1234l

Con

My opponent claims that "humans are the cause of extinction of many different species of animals."

I contend that they are only a cause, not the cause. Here is why:

The extinction of 784 species were claimed to be related to human activity[1], which seems like a lot, but compared to extinctions caused by nature it is very little. For example, the Triassic-Jurassic extinction event, which happened about 200 million years ago, wiped out half of the species that existed at that time.[2]

And that was only one event! There were four more mass extinctions, according to fossil records.

In fact, about 99.9% of all species that ever existed are extinct, according to scientists.[1] 784 out of all of the species is certainly not 99.9%.

As you can see, humans are only a cause, not THE cause, as my opponent claims.

"I believe this because humans are doing such things as taking their habitats, poaching, they are doing all the things in pure entertainment for themselves and many people use animals to survive.The habitats that they are dismantling are being used to expand cities and make many exotic resorts. "

What you said only proves that humans are A cause of extinction, not THE cause. Nature causes most of the extinctions.

[1]http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org...
[2]http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org...
Mscn101

Pro

I am sorry for this post. I let my idiotic friend use my account for research. I had no idea he had posted something. I agree with you on this debate. There are many causes for extinction of species, not just people. He needs to word his arguments differently. Sorry for the trouble, but I enjoy your views on" this debate.

Sorry again and thanks for the good points.
jh1234l

Con

No problem.
Mscn101

Pro

Mscn101 forfeited this round.
Posted by PurpleDrink 4 years ago
PurpleDrink
People always talk about "people" like we're not just another species on the planet. If tigers made some rabbit species go extinct, you wouldn't complaining.
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
I don't think there's any controversy about whether humans have caused certain animals to go extinct. I think a more interesting debate would be over whether or not it's wrong, especially considering that most animals on this planet eventually go extinct and that the world has always been in a state of flux. It's natural. Why think that the world should be frozen in time now that humans are around?