mmvnaomi
jdoe0

Are immigrants criminals?

mmvnaomi

Con

I do not think immigrants are criminals, they go to another country usually to benefit their families or relatives. If they are criminals then why doesn't the government help 'fix' their legal status?
jdoe0

Pro

This is my first day on DDO, so if I accidentally commit any infractions through uninformed ignorance, please inform me! I misread this topic due to its poor phrasing and accepted for the wrong side. However, I'll continue to argue for the Pro side stating that immigrants are criminals.

While it seems as if Con intended to argue about the status of illegal immigrants in America, they failed to define the topic in any sense. They also mistakenly asked the government to fix [the immigrants] "legal" status, implying that Con wants that legal status changed (to illegal?).

With that said, Con did not define their own topic, and I'd like to make a few specifications. Since Con only indirectly refers to "the government" in their opening and makes no hint towards what immigrants we are debating about, I"ll take the lead.

Con asked, "Are immigrants criminals?"

Definitions (from Merriam-Webster"s online dictionary):
Immigrant: A person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence
Criminals: A person who has committed a crime

Once again, Con didn't specify which immigrants and to which country.

In this debate, I'll narrow the definition of immigrants to American immigrants, US citizens. I'll also specify the country receiving the immigrants as Cuba.

American immigrants moving to Cuba are breaking the law and committing a crime, making them criminals. According to the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917, in its full text here (http://www.treasury.gov...), it is illegal for a US citizen to visit Cuba except for very specific reasons (education, research, artistic work, etc.). It is also illegal for a US citizen without a license to spend money in Cuba, and spending more than a day in Cuba is considered by the US government akin to spending money. Therefore any American citizen who takes up residence in Cuba without a license specifically granted by the US government is a criminal.

The American government takes a strong stand on their citizens emigrating to Cuba for a variety of reasons. If it's necessary, I will explain them to Con. However, their reasoning is irrelevant because immigrants to Cuba from America are, in fact, criminals, and we are debating the law, not morals.

Thank you Con.
mmvnaomi

Con

mmvnaomi forfeited this round.
jdoe0

Pro

jdoe0 forfeited this round.
mmvnaomi

Con

mmvnaomi forfeited this round.
jdoe0

Pro

jdoe0 forfeited this round.
mmvnaomi

Con

mmvnaomi forfeited this round.
jdoe0

Pro

jdoe0 forfeited this round.
mmvnaomi

Con

mmvnaomi forfeited this round.
jdoe0

Pro

jdoe0 forfeited this round.