O.Z
forsoke

Are kids being melodramatic

O.Z

Pro

Have you ever watched thes annoying little kids on youtube where they cry their eyes out when their girlfriend or boyfriend broke up with them and now they will never move on? Its pretty friggin annoying, and Im sick and tired of these depressed little emo kids thinking they've got it rough when they don't know the first thing about pain! Forgive my rant, but it makes me mad. So, I invite someone to tell me this is completly plausible. Please, humor me, bring all ya got.
Rules: This is supposed to be more entertaining than anything, so be a good sport and have fun.
No innapropriate language or bashing, but a snarky remark is always fun.
Really, you know the drill.
Have fun!
forsoke

Con

Hey, looking forward to see your responses!

One could say you were being a little melodramatic yourself by getting annoyed over a situation you had a choice to avoid (Assuming you live in a society where you're allowed to choose your own Youtube viewing :P)

Anyhow, the argument we have been presented with is definitely quite tough for myself, as personally I don't partake in such emotional outlet, in fact I'm quite reserved and very able to handle my own emotions with humour and exercise.
But this is only because I have been lucky enough to develop a somewhat healthy way of dealing with my emotions. Sadly this cannot be said for everyone , in particular kids. Kids are growingly exposed to more and more problems everyday, perhaps not third world problems but definitely things that can damage a child emotionally and permit them to behave in unusual ways.

It's very easy to view someone else as being annoying or even stupid, in comparison to ourself and our own image of ourselves, but we have to remember that each and every person has a story and we can't ever assume that story because what happens behind closed doors still happens whether we see it or not. Kids develop emotional issues from many different things. Majority caused with parental issues, sexual abuse history and bullying. Again some of which aren't really anything in comparison to being an African family clinging to life and trying to struggle for clean water and food, but we shall remain in the area of more developed countries.

With social media pretty much covering the majority of the world, kids and adults are finding a way to reach out and receive help in ways they couldn't dream of before, this can be through YouTube videos, forums and social networking posts. Though some of them may seem a little over the top or pointless, it can really help these people to get it off their chest and make their lives more bare-able, as one of the most dangerous things in the world is depression and feeling isolated, with these videos regardless of how stupid or how needless you think they are, they will definitely help relieve some stress of the young person and help them connect with others who can sympathise, support and promote progression.

To conclude, It's definitely a blessing to be able to deal with your emotions correctly, to know what's socially acceptable and what isn't and to know that it's never really the end of the world. But some people just don't have the mental capacity or have the ability to set their mind straight to think of these things without guidance. And with this I feel kids aren't being melodramatic, I feel they're being reasonable in a sense, and avoiding true melodramatic conclusions such as suicide over a relationship.

And to sound a little less serious in light of the tone you've set.
WHYYYY MUSTTT YOUUUUU HATEEEE USSS KIDSSSSSS :CCCC /angst/angst/angst
O.Z

Pro

Alright, I admit, you pegged me a little when i was being overly dramatic in turn. And I dont hate kids, I am one. And Trust me when I say this, I know kids ahve problems. Its part of growing up. And There are a lot of cases when sadness and dramatic speeaches on the internet blogs are plausible. What Im argueing against is when kids do it for no reason, which is what I should have explained further, forgive me, like when their parents took away their ipod and now they hate everyone. This is the melodrama im talking about.
And dont worry, I dont think these kids ares tupid in anyway, and im sure they're very nice people, but when they get sad, they just go over the top like they have a part in Les Miserables. Sure, it is said that misery loves company and your theory on how kids like to try to reach out to people in ways they couldn't before is pretty solid, but do they have to whine so much? They could have made it a video about happy stuff, not wanting to go all emo because their best friend hooked up with a guy or girl they liked. Sure, maybe these sad little videos will help them get over it eventually, whih is good for them, but they shouldn't have to feel that way in the first place. Even after they go through the motions a hundred times, some kids still dont learn their lesson and cry about their problems. Note again that this for dumb reasons only. They have very good reasons to do so if Abuse or Bullying is invlolved. But here i my philosophy on sadness. Its good for the soul, in small doses at least. If you go through hardship, and no life is without it, you can be prepared when it comes to find you again. That's the lesson I want to teach my fellow peers. You don't have to spend your childhood, for some, one of the happiest times of your life, in eternal sadness and rage because of boy or girl trouble. Sometimes, you just have to forgive and forget. Take it away oppent, and try to include as many pop culture references as you can. It can really bring some laughter into this depressing subject.
forsoke

Con

I appreciate your willingness to keep an open mind.

I think you may have missed a part of my initial argument which gives a justification to some of the points you raised. However I'll gladly link them to show relation.

You are entirely right in your second point, you've recognized kids face problems and it's life. What you still question is the necessity of the seemingly dramatised and needless forms of outlet some people seem to exaggerate, such as thinking the world is over because your short term relationship ended, or in a more extreme sense, stupefied fans cutting them self to Justin Bieber's drug taking... Personally not sure if it was fake or not, but I'm certain there would be at least one or two eccentric types who would have literally did this, and they may well fall under the category of needless nonsense you state. ( My attempt of pop culture :P)

But more to the point, in my round 1 argument, I stated the following:
'To conclude, It's definitely a blessing to be able to deal with your emotions correctly, to know what's socially acceptable and what isn't and to know that it's never really the end of the world. But some people just don't have the mental capacity or have the ability to set their mind straight to think of these things without guidance. And with this I feel kids aren't being melodramatic, I feel they're being reasonable in a sense, and avoiding true melodramatic conclusions such as suicide over a relationship.'

I will expand to show how this justifies and dismisses the argument you stated
'That's the lesson I want to teach my fellow peers. You don't have to spend your childhood, for some, one of the happiest times of your life, in eternal sadness and rage because of boy or girl trouble. Sometimes, you just have to forgive and forget.'

I agree with your good intent, sometimes I also feel the need to give someone advice and tell them that it's not the end of the world, get over it, enjoy your self. However the problem is as I've said, that a lot of people are lacking mental strength and capacity to do things which seem simple to the likes of you and I. I personally don't get torn up over a relationship to the point of posting videos, threatening to harm myself or attempt suicide, but this is only because I have more efficient ways of dealing with my emotions through my own personal development, and perhaps the culture I was brought up in.

What is evident is that there are millions of kids who will either not achieve this until adulthood, or perhaps never achieve this at all. Whether it's understandable or not, is entirely down to your own interpretation. However I can explain it in a very simple term to show exactly what it means. Imagine you tell a joke which you find insanely funny. It's so funny that you come close to peeing your pants and you can't imagine anyone thinking differently. It seems just illogical anyone could not find this particular joke hilarious. Then of course you find someone who doesn't react at all despite understanding the joke. They are just different, they have a different sense of humour, much like we all have different levels of tolerance for emotional and traumatic. It seems alien to us when people act a great deal differently and perhaps strangely to us, but we have to accept that people come in all shapes and sizes, colours and textures and minds. Therefore it's inevitable that there will be people who can not develop the mental strength which is ideal, and some will never learn to forgive and forget, some will never learn that there problems aren't the end of the world.

Thus I conclude with, I can't say their problems of not being able to handle things properly is a good thing. But I know it's beyond a lot of people's control, I personally have members of my family who suffer from depression, which gives me an insight and understanding of things which they do beyond their control; A couple of examples, my Mother has blown things out of proportion in such cases as, If her iPad's internet wasn't working, she would lose her patience and conclude that the iPad is broken and sit and moan about it all day long. Despite the fact the internet was simply restarting for two minutes. Or whenever our pet bird makes a lot of noise, she would scream at the bird to shut up. Yet logically this is pointless, as the bird doesn't understand English and would only assume my mother is trying to communicate back in an excited manner.

These things, I consider pointless, and in turn they can cause my blood boil , but it's like a disease, they can't control it, and we have to tolerate it as they are our fellow human beings and they of course have every right of existence as us, regardless of how much more emotional or dependant on others they are.

I hope I've made my points clear and successfully show that a good deal of the time, it's beyond the person's control due to personal issues, mental capacity and just because we're all different. :)
O.Z

Pro

Thank you for this lovely debae. You have also kept an open mind and I agree with some of your points. However, there is something I noticed.
It seems you and me have already gotten a grip on our emotions and how to handle them in a calm and fluent matter, and that most kids are just blanking out with this stuff. One thing I have noticed is that maybe they are not depressed at all. I find this interesting that they go to youtube of all places when they could scream at someone who actually tries to comfort tem to go away. Then why go to such a public place like Youtube? The answer is this, and almsot every kid wants it at least some point: Attention. One of the definitions os Melodrama is that someone is, like being overly sad, is being overly dramatic. Having thousands of people sympathize with you while your sad might be an ideal way of cheering someone up instintly, or maybe it is a desperate bid for attention. If I had to decide if it was actual sadness or attention with that "Cut's for Beieber" thing, it would have to be an attention scheme. Even so, kids can still be sad, and they can go cry on the internet or write deep poetry or stuff like that.
And its true that every person sees something differently in his or her's individual way, all unique, and I agree with you that everyone is different. There are some people who just can't get a grip. But, that's why we are here. Fellows like you and me who already know how to handle it are here to teach others how to do the same. That way, everybody wins, and everybody is happy. So, back to the main point. Are kids being melodramatic? Well yes, but, they may not know it just yet. That's why we have to point it out so they can fix it before it haunts them for the rest of their lives. And yes, some things are out of their control, like say, a lost relative, but remember, Im just talking about the pointless stuff. We are all different when it comes to dealing with stuff, but that doesn't mean we can't offer help. No sir or madam, we can help the melodrama to become...not melodrama. Also, sorry about your bird. Thanks for making this a nice debate. Good luck with the votes.
forsoke

Con

Thank you also for this great debate!

After reading your response, one point I noticed right away was
' Are kids being melodramatic? Well yes, but, they may not know it just yet. That's why we have to point it out so they can fix it before it haunts them for the rest of their lives. '

You're partially right in this. The reason I say partially is because someone being melodramatic or partaking in any behaviour which can be labelled with an adjective is subjective to the person using the label. There is without a doubt hundreds of people who are genuinely melodramatic at a young age and grow out of it. But that's the fun of life, we live and reflect on our past, and occasionally have a good laugh of what we used to be. This is a single scenario which may apply to millions of people who have previously been melodramatic and eventually evened themselves out and learned how to deal with their emotions in a more healthy manner. However it is not the only scenario, and I believe this is where the Pro side of this debate falls short.

The second scenario is people who genuinely have conditions such as depression, anxiety and autism. These people sadly are unable to be cured with simply being taught differently, or forced to think differently. It's in their nature and it always will be. They can only learn to live with it and find people who love them enough to deal with it and see past the problem. In the previous example I used of my Mother. Though her severe depression annoys me from time to time, in the case of simple things being blown way out of proportion, I know that if I sat and told her she was behaving badly or not being correct in dealing with her emotions, it will only lead her into a deep depression phase, opening the door to things such as suicide.
I believe this is because we all have, as I've mentioned before, different thresholds. I can sure as hell handle a lot of grief and can manage to see the bright side of things, so I have a high tolerance level of the problems life sends my way. However other people do not, and therefore they must continually vent their problems and show signs of distress, whether it be simple muttering about problems every couple minutes or out lashing in a different manner such as crying, self harm. Or in my opinion a more constructive way, which avoids physical abuse such as making a YouTube video, more friends, writing poetry, taking a long walk, listening to music or writing some Facebook posts as an outlet.

I'll finish up by hitting on your closing statement of aiming to help at the very least. I agree with this completely. Help is priceless for anyone who needs it, and even better for those who don't know they need it. But the help one can give is very limited. And the correction of serious illnesses that affect the mind are extremely limited. Therefore I feel I'm happy to tolerate people who act differently and react differently, as every human as we agree is entitled to.
'Are kids being melodramatic' Not yet, when they start taking their lives over first world problems such as losing their iPod or not getting the gift they wanted, I will fully agree with the statement, but at this time I feel it's a little exaggerated and can be considered slightly insensitive as it does cover a bunch of people who may or may not suffer from illnesses which they cannot help.

Thank you for the debate, and I also wish you good luck in the voting period!

forsoke
Posted by O.Z 4 years ago
O.Z
Look forward to finishing that one up
Posted by TheDarkMuffin 4 years ago
TheDarkMuffin
I'd really like to accept this debate with you, but alas, I've already accepted another one of your debates. Oh well.