debate-argue
TheMenaceGaming

Are movies good for us

Started: 10/28/2015 Category: Movies

debate-argue

Pro

I think movies are good for us because it entertains us
TheMenaceGaming

Con

Good morning (Australian time) debate.org. Today I shall be debating the topic "are movies good for us".

First of all, the name of this debate should be a statement, such as "movies are good for us". this allows "Pro" to agree with the topic and "Con" to disagree, hence, pros and cons.

secondly I shall provide a definition for the debate seeing as the affirmative (pro) didn't include one. according to the oxford dictionary of english. this definion is correct (although "Pro" may disagree if he chooses)
That movies (a cinema film) are good (beneficial, physically or mentally) for us (the general population)

I agree that movies are entertaining, but they open a world of horrible scenes that if children get their hands on them... well, I don't even need to finish that.

Also, movies can be a massive time waster. You've got a massive English assignment due tomorrow, you should be freaking out. But you always wanted to see that new movie. It looks sooooo good. So you go see the movie, you comment on how "entertaining" it was, then you get a big, fat zero on your school report. "Oops". but here's the big twist, you don't care! You saw a good movie. That's all that matters. your English grade : who cares. Your math exam : I never liked maths anyway. if this trend continues, you become a couch potato. or in this case a movie potato.

so yes, movies are entertaining, but when there are other (more important) matters at hand, movies can become too entertaining.

I don't believe that we should abstain from movies forever, but too much of anything is never good and that includes movies. people should try to limit their time spent in front of the screen.

Thank-you for debating this topic with me Pro.

if you want to learn more about the structure of a debate (highly recommended) then see these websites
http://www.debate.org...
https://en.wikipedia.org... (the debating method that i use)

note : when i criticize your debate, i mean to help you become a better debater. please don't be offended
debate-argue

Pro

you talk to much
TheMenaceGaming

Con

Hello again, to continue from where we left off, i shall restate the topic: Movies are good for us. just curious,does "you talk too much" look like an argument for this topic? From my experience, when you are watching movies you talk less. Also, I like talking, and that is why I debate, and technically speaking, I'm typing.

my second point is that movies can be harmful to children (note that Pro and I are both 14 (his profile admits it)so in this case the "us" in "movies are good for us" means adolescents ) there is extensive research that watching some types of movies can have bad effects. example include horror
tidewaterparent.com/2013/10/22/can-watching-horror-films-harmful-children/

Thanks
debate-argue

Pro

debate-argue forfeited this round.
TheMenaceGaming

Con

TheMenaceGaming forfeited this round.