Wa
Ariesx

Are organized religions good or bad?

Ariesx

Wa

Con

Hello I have a debate for anyone! Are organized religion a good thing or a bad thing? Pro is good, Con is bad.

1) Accept

2) Opening Statement

3) First Argument

4) Second Argument

5) Closing statements (No argument in here but you may reference previous statements)

Definitions:
Organized Religion - Organized religion, also known as institutional religion, is religion as a social institution,[1] in which belief systems and rituals are systematically arranged and formally established.[2] Organized religion is typically characterized by an official doctrine (or dogma), a hierarchical or bureaucratic leadership structure, and a codification of rules and practices.

Ariesx

Pro

I thank my opponent for starting this debate and I graciously accept his challenge.
Wa

Con

Partaking in organized religion is a bad thing. O.R.[organized religion] is a way of manipulating people. When people join O.R. it forces them to believe one thing, it gives people a false sense of security, and it gives others control over them. O.R. is designed to manipulate people, an example of this would be the concept of heaven and hell. O.R. tells you if you do things that they deem as wrong you will be condemned to an eternal torture, but if you follow their rules you gain eternal happiness, obviously people will do what O.R. tells them to, otherwise if they don't they'll gain eternal torture (I know this is not a part of all religions). Another example would be prayer, most religions have this, if you don't pray or do any other ritual they tell you that you've sinned or something along those lines. This leads me to another point in certain religions, confession; in the medieval times you had to pay for this. This shows how O.R. was designed to gain control of others.

In unorganized religions and other practices, people are free to do what they feel is right, they get to go on their own journey, they are not fed spoonfuls of certain books, they are free. This is not the case in O.R., in O.R. if you go outside the boundaries you are shunned, you are casted out, you are judged. O.R. makes a false sense of family for these reasons, if you dare to question something, if you say that you don't like something, or if you say something on the lines of prayer doesn't work for me, you will be thrown out.

Now I want to make this clear as far as the religious stand point, if you are a part of an organized religion this is not to offend you. I am not atheist either. I do not feel there is something on a higher power than me but rather on the same level as everyone and everything. This will not be a debate about what religion is right etc. I just wanted to give you a little information about my background.
Ariesx

Pro

Belief, Faith, and Intelligent Design are the three things that keep religion alive. Believing in something can be easy for people and very hard for people. As we enter the 21 century, we have achieved a lot through faith. America, for example, was influenced by the church even though America tried to separate the church. But, in the Supreme Court the ten commandments still hang. Presidents to this day still have to say God bless America. 73% of Americans still identify themselves as Christians. The Christian population is 2.8 billion people. Islam is 1.5 billion people. There are 1.2 billion hindus around the world. 488 million people consider themselves Buddhists. There are 21.7 million Jews in the world. These religions make up the majority of the human population. But, the point of this debate is to find out if organized religions are good or bad. My opponent makes the fair claim that religions control and manipulate people. In the theoretical stories of Islam, Prophet Muhammad kept getting visions from God. God wanted Muhammad to tell his people to pray five times a day. Muhammad asked why? God said that humans are very forgetful of what they have and they need to be reminded of the entity that they are worshiping. I think that this story is very true for western societies and I will be explaining why western societies should thank organized religion for its benefits and should stick with organized religion. Western Society has grown to like the idea of liberty. Western Society has also grown to blame organized religion for many things such as restraining free will. For example, teenagers wanting to smoke marijuana. Your parents tell you that smoking marijuana is bad, but you don't listen. The right-wing folks are very strong on not smoking marijuana. But, the intellectual left-wing is convinced of the its my body argument. According to National Institute of Drug Abuse, Statistics show that teens suffer low IQs when smoking marijuana. Statistics also show that the high affect can lead to happiness, but if people keep using these drugs, the chemical that controls happiness can experience problems, and people in their late twenties and early thirties can suffer depression. Our holy books such as the Bible and the Quran prohibit people from doing drugs. Liberals will say that these books are restraining us from our free wills, but these books are actually restricting you from making stupid decisions. The value is great in these books. I will be explaining in the debate more examples of things that our holy books taught us, and how it benefits people to achieving the philosophical term inner-peace.
I thank my opponent for starting this debate.
Wa

Con

Wa forfeited this round.
Ariesx

Pro

I am very sorry that my opponent forfeited, and I will respectfully pass.
Wa

Con

Wa forfeited this round.
Ariesx

Pro

I respectfully pass
Wa

Con

Wa forfeited this round.
Ariesx

Pro

Ariesx forfeited this round.
Posted by mentalist 2 years ago
mentalist
Organized is fine...propagandized or politicized...ehhh...not so good...
Posted by Wa 2 years ago
Wa
thanks Ragnar
Posted by tahir.imanov 2 years ago
tahir.imanov
It is neither good, nor bad......
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Welcome to the site. You may find this guide useful: https://docs.google.com... @ https://docs.google.com...
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
WaAriesxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times.