PatrickAVG
BEASTxKNIGHTx12

Are pedophiles monsters even if they haven't committed a crime?

PatrickAVG

PatrickAVG

Con

I have heard many people say things along the lines of: "We should kill all pedophiles because they are terrible people who rape kids!!!". And while raping a child is a horrible crime to commit, pedophiles may have not committed this crime. A common misconception is that "sexual attraction" = "wanting to have sex", which isn't the case. You could be a heterosexual man but because of your belief, you remain celibate for example. The same can be said of pedophiles, many of them know it is morally wrong to rape a child and so, they don't. Simple as that.

Studies have shown that most molesters aren't even pedophiles. Also, most pedophiles have been shown to NOT be molesters. Using the term pedophile to mean "child molester" is dangerous as it criminalizes an entire group of people who may not have committed a crime.

In the United States of America where I live, people are considered innocent until proven guilty and yet we treat pedophiles as though they are guilty until proven innocent! This generalization is dangerous and has caused some serious violence in the past.

I'm not trying to condone rape or molestation, because those things are morally wrong.
All I'm saying is that we shouldn't treat ALL pedophiles as though they are child molesters.

- http://www.webmd.com...

- http://gawker.com...

- http://www.cnn.com...

-

-

- https://www.youtube.com...

- https://www.youtube.com...

- https://www.youtube.com...
BEASTxKNIGHTx12

Pro

I think that pedophiles are monsters even though they have not committed a crime. Because you like little kids and you would really want to date one and thats very cross and monsters are gross just like them. That is my debate.
PatrickAVG

Con

But a person doesn't choose his/her sexual attraction, they are born with it. If you still think that a pedophile is a monster even if they haven't committed a crime, then you're saying that pedophiles are criminal just by existing, which is a dangerous way of thinking.

Also, pedophiles do not necessarily WANT to date kids. In fact, most pedophiles are aware that their sexual attraction, if acted upon, would be immoral. And so, such a pedophile would simply live with their urges and never act on them. That actually seems rather noble if you ask me.

Also, you haven't really given many reasons why you think they're monsters. I mean, your argument is basically: "They are monsters because they are monsters!" which is a bit flawed. Should we hate people based on thought crimes? Are thought crimes even an existing thing? Everyone has imagined hurting someone they hate in their mind (which we hopefully didn't act on). Should these kinds of people be hated as well?
BEASTxKNIGHTx12

Pro

So what I'm hearing you say is that instead of having relationships or dating a kid a pedophile. So he just stays at home has the urge to have a child as his "friend". Which is still wrong in the eyes of God. I know they are born that way but there are ways to help stop this. Like therapy. You can get some one to stop you from having these sinful likings and allow you to like women/men that are your age.
PatrickAVG

Con

I suppose. Therapy most certainly would help control a pedophile's urges. I'm not so sure if therapy would be able to prevent the thoughts all together. Unfortunately, it is hard to control sexual thoughts as it is an instinctual response. Although, I also have to question your use of the word "sin" as I had thought sin was a term reserved for someone who had committed a criminal act, not a criminal thought. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. Also, I'm unsure how befriending children would be considered sinful. I'm friends with many kids younger than me because I teach an after school Video Game Design class (and before you ask, no, I am not a pedophile). Although, I assume you mean it is sinful to befriend someone based on your sexual urges and not on simply wanting friendship. Make of that what you will.

However, we really can't blame a pedophile for his thoughts, seeing as how his thoughts are probably hard to control. I personally believe that we should judge the action, not the actor. However, this being said, I can understand your concern as it most certainly is a deviant behavior. However, deviant behavior might not be a good reason alone to judge an entire group of people that make up 5% of the population.

Also, I'm unsure what religion you believe in, but I'm going to assume the God you worship is Yahweh (the Christian, Jewish, and Islamic God) who I worship as well. If this is the case, then it is important to remember that God is a forgiving and tolerant entity, and would probably rather we forgive a group of people instead of hating them.

Finally, to bring up your claim that you can change a pedophile to "like women/me that are your age". There is much research that shows that, no, this just isn't the case. It's sad, I know, but pedophiles can not be changed. All we can do is help them so it's a little easier for them to resist sinful actions. There is no way for us to control another's thoughts, all we can do is help them to control their actions. So, while it is true that they can get help, all of the hate they are receiving is making them too afraid to seek help, as they think they would be harmed if they came out about it. If we want to protect children and help pedophiles overcome their urges, we need to stop dehumanizing them and instead sympathize with them.
BEASTxKNIGHTx12

Pro

I give up it is hard to find anymore facts or opinions of why pedophiles are monsters. So I give up you win.
Posted by Impact94 2 years ago
Impact94
Huh. When I first saw the resolution of this debate, I thought it was completely out of left field, but now I've been given something new to consider. This will be an interesting debate.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
PatrickAVGBEASTxKNIGHTx12Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession by pro