Are penguins better than koalas?

Which do you like better? Koalas or penguins. Obviously penguins right? I mean koalas are nice and cuddly and they give you hope. Sure koalas are cute but do the slide on their stomachs down a mountain?! Didn't think so.

I accept this debate. Great topic that hasn't really been debated at all on here!

R1) "but do the [sic] slide on their stomachs down a mountain?!"

I'd like to claim that penguins just slide on their stomachs... Not down mountains. Rockhopper Penguins don't even live in areas where they would be able to slide on their stomachs because the area is basically all rocky. Furthermore, penguins slide (when applicable) because they are too fat to be able to walk properly.

R2) "I mean koalas are nice and cuddly and they give you hope."

My refutation begins by saying... Wait. I have no refutation here. These are all points proving my side of the argument.

Now to my points.

- Koalas have thumbs.
- Koalas are marsupials.
- Koalas can tell the difference between good eucalyptus leaves and bad ones.

I rest my case.

Penguins are far better. Here is why:

-Emperor Penguins can stay underwater for around 20 minutes at a time.
-Most penguins can move at a total speed of up to 6 to 12 km/h (3.7 to 7.5 mph) while underwater
-All penguins have natural camouflage against predators.
-Penguins have no fear of human contact
-Penguins have developed senses.
-Penguins sleep standing up.

I do reclaim my information on penguins sliding on their stomachs, but the species of penguins are very intellegent.

My sources:

Zanomi3 forfeited this round.

rstreeter13 forfeited this round.

I guess now that things are even with each side having one forfeited round, I'll continue my argument.

1) "Most penguins can move at a total speed of up to 6 to 12km/h (3.7 to 7.5 mph) while underwater"

This is true statement, and I agree that it is somewhat amazing that this flightless bird is able to move that well in the sea. However, when looking at a few other animals, this speed isn't nearly as fast as it seems. Humans can swim at 5.04 mph, and there are countless other creatures that can move at a higher speed than penguins [1]. With this in mind, if we are basing better on speed in the water, penguins are not at the top of the list.

2) "Penguins sleep standing up"

Brand new fact revealed to me here, and it is certainly a strange one. However, I fail to see why this makes a penguin better than a koala. Koalas sleep in trees, in home trees that they continuously come back to [2]

3) "Penguins have developed senses."

This may be true, but most animals have senses that are fully functional. Koalas, just like penguins, can hear, smell, see, taste, and touch.

4) "but the species of penguins are very intelligent."

No proof of this, nor is there any reason that koalas can't be considered intelligent either.

As this is the last round, I won't post any new arguments, but stop after these rebuttals. I have already successfully refuted several of my opponents points, and he has failed to refute any of mine. This has been a wonderful debate!

Mammals > Birds
Koalas > Penguins

[1] -'_bass.htm
[2] -
Posted by Zanomi3 2 years ago
Apologies on the forfeit... Family matters arose. I'll be able to do round 3
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture