Are people born with there personalities? e.g Could a person be born mean.

I guess part of our attitudes, and personalities are genetic, but it's the same as racism, it's learned. Our environment shapes us, anger is a natural emotion, but that doesn't mean we know to act on it. People can't change the way they were brought up, but no baby was born with a mean spirit.

Since no rules were discussed I will jump right into my arguement.

I will make make a few points to argue the point that A person could be born "mean"

1. First we have to define the word mean.
adjective: mean; comparative adjective: meaner; superlative adjective: meanest
      1. unwilling to give or share things, especially money; not generous.
      2. unkind, spiteful, or unfair.
Since my opponent did not specify what definition of mean they were going off of I will make the assumption that they meant the second definition, unkind, spiteful, or unfair.

2. My biggest point is genetic disorders such as; Psychosis, bi-polar disorder, pyschopath(one of a very long list in personality disorders), schizophrenia, intermittent explosive disorder(which means you cannot control your inner rage). There is a surplus of mental and genetic disorders that can cause violence and unkind behavior. These disorders and illnesses are inside the child from birth, Even though they may take time to show signs of these illnesses they are still there and will eventually show.

"Swanson and colleagues 2 provided evidence that demonstrated that schizophrenia and major mood disorders confer an elevated risk of violent behavior, and that risk is augmented by comorbid substance use disorders and by comorbid personality disorders.( ttp://"

3. For this Arguement I will give multiple examples of kids who have done awful things.

"Eric Smith, 13 years old

January 22, 1980

Police charged Smith with the murder of a four-year-old boy named Derrick Robie. The younger child had been strangled, had large rocks dropped on his head, and had been sodomized with a small stick. When asked why he did it, Smith cannot give a definite answer{1}."

"George Stinney, 14 years old

October 21, 1929–June 16, 1944

George was convicted of the murder of two girls named Betty June Binnicker (11) and Mary Emma Thames (8) who were both found in a muddy hole. The girls suffered severe fractures to their skulls, inflicted by a railroad spike found some distance from the town. George confessed to the crime and said that he wanted to have sex with Betty but ended up killing the girls.{1}"

"Lionel Tate, 14 years old

January 30, 1987

were called and a medical examiner reported that the cause of death was due to forceful stomping that lacerated Tiffany’s liver. Aside from that, experts testified that the girl suffered a fractured skull and rib, swelling in the brain from a beating that lasted from one to five minutes, and 35 other injuries.{1}"

"Craig Price, 15 years old
Joan Heaton (39), along with her two daughters, Jennifer (10) and Melissa (8), were found lifeless, blood-soaked and brutally murdered in their home on September 4, 1989. They were stabbed so fiercely that the knife broke off in Melissa’s neck. Police reported that Joan had approximately 60 stab wounds, while the young girls had approximately 30.{1}"

"Graham Young, 14 years old

September 7, 1947 – August 22, 1990

At an early age, Graham Young had been fascinated with chemistry, particularly types of poison and their effects on people. His other great interest was idolizing murderers such as Dr. Hawley Crippen, William Palmer, Adolf Hitler and others. Young started experimenting with poisons when he was 14. His family and friends were his victims. His father, upon becoming ill, originally thought he just had a virus of some sort. Then the apparent illness struck his wife and daughter. All suffered from continuous vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pains. In 1962, the mother of Young’s stepmother died from poisoning.{1}"

"Jon Venables and Robert Thompson, both 10 years old

August 13, 1982, August 23, 1982

During their two-mile walk, the 10-year-old boys had punched, kicked, picked up and dropped James on his head. Some of the acts were seen by passersby who ignored them, thinking that they were just two older brothers who didn’t know how to take care of their younger brother. Jon and Robert brought James onto the local railway, where they flung paint in his left eye, threw stones at him, beat him with bricks, and hit him with an iron bar. They also sexually assaulted him and laid his body on the railroad track, covering his bleeding head with bricks when they thought he was dead. It was reported that James died sometime before the train hit him.{1}"

4. I used my examples as children to show that it can start young but just look up some famous killers or serial killers and it doesnt take long to find out that their upbringing isn't always the leading factor in why they did what they did. Sometimes they "just felt like it", "don't know why", or they actually admit it.

Work Citied

StephenGayBaptist forfeited this round.

I further my arguments to the next round.

StephenGayBaptist forfeited this round.

To conclude I will summarize and close since overall it will not matter.

People can be born mean and it can caused by genetic and other disorders. It is not unheard of as many serial killers show signs very young in age. Look up some of the disorders and other illnesses I posted in my previous argument and you can see that they can make you unkind.

I thank anyone who takes the time to vote and anyone who has been following this debate. I would like to take this time to thank my opponent although they did not fully participate. Thank you and it has been a pleasure.
Posted by StephenGayBaptist 2 years ago
Ok Elijahhill97 take me on brah!
Posted by kanishks 2 years ago
i believe its not true because we learn things as we grow up and also learn new about every aspect of life
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Id love to take you up on this if you'd save this debate for me.
Posted by Elijahhill97 2 years ago
Are you talking about being born with racism or being born with the ability to be mean? because if you are debating being born not nice or "mean" I will gladly take you up on that?