shakuntala
RiskTaker

Are people on DDO sheep who need to be told what a good work/idea is

RiskTaker
Started: 4/1/2014 Category: Arts

shakuntala

Pro

people on DDO are sheep who need to be told what a good work/idea is
these people can not tell for themselves what a good work/idea is

these people go along with group think as they dont have the courage to go against the groups ideas
these people dont have the courage to be the odd person out and take a position that the group disparages

these people are afriad to be different from the group and just go along with the group think for fear of being criticized

group think

"Loyalty to the group requires individuals to avoid raising controversial issues or alternative solutions, and there is loss of individual creativity, uniqueness and independent thinking

Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative viewpoints, by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences
RiskTaker

Con

Sheep can't use computers or smartphones as they are both physically and intellectually incapable of it. Thus, the resolution is incorrect.

Even metaphorically, if poeple on DDO were all sheep then no one would oppose anyone and debating could not occur.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"Even metaphorically, if poeple on DDO were all sheep then no one would oppose anyone and debating could not occur. "

ok clever dick-with semantics

let see you put your objectivity where yor mouth is

you mouth off objectivity

so tell us 4 things good with colin leslie dean poem Narcissist-let see if you are a sheep bleating the group anthem that deans poetry sucks

or the great free thinker you think you are
/Narcissist
http://www.scribd.com...
RiskTaker

Con

My opponent has resorted to ad hominem and hasn't brought forth a single argument.

We are not sheep.

Sheep (1): A domesticated ruminant mammal with a thick woolly coat and (typically only in the male) curving horns. It is kept in flocks for its wool or meat, and is proverbial for its tendency to follow others in the flock.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...

This species doesn't use the Internet.

If they did, who is the shepherd?
shakuntala

Pro

I asked con to put his objectivity where his mouth is and tell 4 good things about colin leslie deans poem
Narcissist
http://www.scribd.com...
all he replied with was
"My opponent has resorted to ad hominem and hasn't brought forth a single argument"

he thus demonstrates my point con has not the courage to step out of line with the other sheep
he also probably cant tell what is good with them as no one has told him what is good with the poem as con probably lacks original thinking
RiskTaker

Con

Why must I name four good things about a poem to substantiate my arguments?

That is ridiculous.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"Why must I name four good things about a poem to substantiate my arguments?

That is ridiculous. "

because people/sheep on here have baged the poem
so for you to name 4 good things about the poem would be going against the opinions of the sheep on here

allso
it would show you can come up with 4 original good things in the face of no one ever telling you what is good about the poem
that would prove 2 things
1) you have the courage to step out of line with sheep opinion
2)
that you can think for your self with out someone else telling you what is good about deans poem

thus demonstrating that I am wrong in calling everyone on here sheep
RiskTaker

Con

Sheep can't use the internet.
Posted by shakuntala 3 years ago
shakuntala
oculus_de_logica said
"I dislike that poem so you see that it is based on opinion, not group:

I thank you for your critique it is honest and clear all opinions good or bad are appreciated when coming from an objective position

oculus_de_logica said
starting off: Don't use so many or "fancy" fonts. It distracts from reading. Use a single font that is easy on the eyes and doesn't hinder the reader when reading.

Use proper punctuation, a run on poem tires the reader.

Try to use form, I find it more effective when writing poetry to have form, but I do follow a classical era in Icelandic poetry meaning I'm more inclined to use stable, rhythmic and rhymed poetic forms.

You're too vague, sometimes it's annoying to follow the poem as it is unformed and uses a lot of unneeded imagery.

The poem is much too long as compared to it's actual content. It might have been favorable in my opinion had it be much shorter, much more precise and following a better structure, and the idea on it's own isn't the worst in the world, cutting it 19 pages shorter, concluding it in a more formal manner and structuring, punctuating, proof reading and clearing the poem would improve it immensely. It doesn't appeal well enough to the reader and feels completely disconnected, I had a hard time keeping interest once the fifth page of monotone description of the image in the mirror appeared with no real content beyond that. A quick scan over the next pages showed that the poem is rather uniform after that with little variation. When writing poetry intended for release you must remember the sentence: "Would I read this if I had no knowledge of the author? can this keep the interest of the common man?" You're poem, even if it is well intended is just the narrator admiring himself for 20 pages. imagine if I'd make a 10 minute speech on how great I am, would you like it?

Do you understa
Posted by oculus_de_logica 3 years ago
oculus_de_logica
I'm afraid that it won't serve you no good, because you're entire argument is based on the fact that your poems are not popular. If we look at just about any big topic we can see how diverse in opinion DDO is. My personal opinion on your poem matters not, but let me show you why I dislike that poem so you see that it is based on opinion, not group:

Do you understa
Posted by shakuntala 3 years ago
shakuntala
it is said
"his debate is idiotic. Con could have teared pro's argument apart from round 1 without even requiring to resort to hitting below the belt like he did while pro is using the biggest ad hominem I've ever seen. Not sure If I'll even vote on this one."

con showed to the world 2 things
1) he/she is a gutless wonder -not stepping out of line with the sheep
2) no original thinking -he has to be told what is good as he cant find it him/her self

as for you
let see if you can say 4 good things about colin leslie deans poem
http://www.scribd.com...

or are you also
Posted by oculus_de_logica 3 years ago
oculus_de_logica
This debate is idiotic. Con could have teared pro's argument apart from round 1 without even requiring to resort to hitting below the belt like he did while pro is using the biggest ad hominem I've ever seen. Not sure If I'll even vote on this one.
Posted by alexmiller887 3 years ago
alexmiller887
Save this one for me please.
Vote Placed by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
shakuntalaRiskTakerTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have no idea what Pro is talking about. Pro's arguments seem inconsistent as to what it would mean for DDO to be sheep. Pro additionally calls con a "dick-with-semantics," or maybe criticizes con for "dick[ing] with semantics." Either case, that was random rudeness. I don't see how citing this poem proves that DDO is unwilling to debate counter-culturally, or why that would make DDO sheep. However, I do think Con might have debated more thoroughly rather than taking "sheep" to be a literal term, which is obviously isn't (although Pro does not directly clarify that).