number1letterA
Alex

Are people on this site as stupid as I think they are?

Alex

number1letterA

Pro

I posted a retarded argument for the favor of the existence of leprechauns and every one took me seriously. I hope that this is mearly people playing along. Sadly however I'm afraid I was wrong and the people on this site have no sense of humor. I mean if you see my account it is clearly fake and my previous argument was purely for entertainment (as that is what it was categorized in). Please, I hope my debaters were not the cream of the crop.
Alex

Con

The thing is, you posted the debate, and people are going to act accordingly. Nobody is going to take that debate and joke around with you, they see that as an easy win and that is what con got.

Debates on this site are not aimed at joking, therefore nobody took it as a joke.

You have two burdens of proof, one you must prove that we are as stupid as you think we are.
And two prove that we have no sense of humor.

Now, mind that there are different "senses of humor" just because nobody found your leprechaun debate funny does not mean we do not have a sense of humor.

Good luck.
number1letterA

Pro

So what you are saying is that they saw a cheep shot to win a debate and despite the fact they were obviously going to win they still took it. If you saw this debate would take a shot at it just to get one more victory on your score card. Also keep in mind that even people commenting were taking it seriously.

I was bored one night and decided why not. That's why I made the debate with obvious signs that I was not serious. Later I checked out my mad ranting and found the responses. You can read it if you want. I just figured one out of a million would at least find it funny or see how ridiculous an argument titled "lepricons" would be also under the topic of entertainment.

As for my burdens of proof I didn't expect every person to find it funny. I find that people have different senses of humor as everyone else does. I can see you are not stupid by your response, but if you are going to argue my previous debate without the slightest sign that you are just humoring me or you know I'm joking then you lack one aspect of intelligence at least. That is that you lack interpersonal intelligence.

I hope I actually loose because this is one thing I don't want to be right on.
Alex

Con

I will start this round by answering my opponents comments and questions.

"So what you are saying is that they saw a cheep shot to win a debate and despite the fact they were obviously going to win they still took it. If you saw this debate would take a shot at it just to get one more victory on your score card. Also keep in mind that even people commenting were taking it seriously."

Yes that is what i am saying. But no i did not take this for another win on my score card.

The people on the comments were presenting it as seriousness, but what you type and what you put down on the computer is different. I kinda got a kick out of the debate, but i acted serious on the site anyhow. But really we cant say what people were actually thinking about it.

The thing is this is a debate site primarily for serious topics, so we are going to act accordingly.

But i am wondering how to take this "I find that people have different senses of humor as everyone else does. I can see you are not stupid by your response".

I am thinking thats conceding by the looks of it but i cannot be sure, or maybe my opponent has just came to my side i'm not sure.

But you still did not present any evidence that we are stupid or lack a sense of humor so my previous arguments still stand through this round.
number1letterA

Pro

That's a relief. Yet, I would still say that is low due to the fact you don't have really much to gain.

"but what you type and what you put down on the computer is different."
I'm sure that is not what you meant to say as that means the same thing. I think you meant to say think instead of type. I agree with this, but like you said we can't know this as a fact. Yet, in a way my lack of evidence that they are understanding the situation is my evidence as my only clue on one comment was a smiley face. I can't proof that they got the joke. Kind of like a clue. I have no evidence that a pacific person committed a crime so I can not prove they did it. So, out of over one hundred people I only found one small clue that one person may have got it.

"The thing is this is a debate site primarily for serious topics, so we are going to act accordingly."
You did say "primarily".

I said you weren't stupid is because I looked at your previous debates and profile to understand who you are. This is what a lot of people didn't due as I can see as I have claimed to have a Post Doctoral at the age of 16 and that my belief was that Pringles were delicious.
Alex

Con

Yes that is what i mean thank you for not taking my mis-type seriously. I apologize I am just very tired.

And yes the site is "primarily for serious topics" because if you look at the definition of primarily it states :essentially; mostly; chiefly; principally, -dictionary.com

So most of us are serious, but there are the others like you and those quote debates *sigh* that make the exceptions. But does not mean everyone on the debate is stupid and lack a sense of humor.

But all in all you have admitted to the negation of the topic being correct, so i thank you.

We do in fact have a sense of humor, we are in fact not as dumb as you think.

And thank you for the debate.

Vote Con
Posted by Mia_Iris 4 years ago
Mia_Iris
The onus is on whether people are as stupid as "you" think they are. Judging from your spelling, that is not a very high standard. I'm only making a judgement on your judgement. Aside from that, if your basis for stupidity is dependant on whether a random mass of people would be able to take your prank debate as a joke... It would seem that the majority of the random sampling of people that actually acknowledged your debate would appear to lack a sense of humour or emotional intelligence. But if you consider this site for second caters to more serious endeavours, your prank was merely a distraction to their more serious persuits.

Just as you posted your prank debate for a reason, users of this user chose to ignore or acknowledge it for a reason. That's doesn't necessarily reflect intelligence. If it did, I would question yours.
Posted by number1letterA 7 years ago
number1letterA
I already tried to have a coldplay v. satriani debate with panda but that didnt work out so well. (complicated)
Posted by Charlie_Danger 7 years ago
Charlie_Danger
"Nobody is going to take that debate and joke around with you" Unless you debate someone like panda
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Again, if you are interested in humour and randomness, we have forums, however, we don't take kindly to the spawning of multiple threads. debates are supposed to be logical and intelligent, not debating about the existence of mythical creatures. (P.S. I reign supreme in this case as I am irish)
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
I have a sense of humor :)

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Angrypants66 8 years ago
Angrypants66
Wow wow wow wow.
I am not dumb.
Lol.
Posted by number1letterA 8 years ago
number1letterA
I'm not angry at you or trying to put you down either. I just found it low that someone would do that for a point that's near meaningless. He also showed little understanding that I was being random. I assumed you would jump to the chance to get the point because you said nothing was wrong or sad about what he was doing. As if you would do the same in his position. It also seems people are getting offended when I claim they have a lack of a sense of humor. Just one kid says this and so many people see they are threatened.
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Indeed, your debate was an easy win. But someone was going to take it. I know you hoped it would be someone that would play along, but my point was that--given the competitive nature of this site--it's unlikely. In the end, you ended up with an opponent set to ensure his win. I wasn't trying to put you down, but offer an alternative perspective. In my attempt to offer insight, you incorrectly assume that I am the kind of debater that eagerly jumps at the chance at "easy" wins. If you examine my profile, you'll find that I prefer theological/metaphysical debates. And in case you also decide in prejudicial fashion I have no sense of humor, I invite you to read this debate: http://www.debate.org...

It's ironic that you would condemn people for having no sense of humor, then immediately retaliate against me when I attempt to offer sincere insight. What gives?
Posted by number1letterA 8 years ago
number1letterA
trendem, I don't realy consider my self all that funny (I was bored) but if I am making zero to no sense and I claim that it was the year 2505 and that lepricons existed despite the fact I spelled leprechaun wright once just to say that leprechaun and lepricons were diferent then I think it goes without saying that I wasn't being serious. Like I said earlier I thought atleast 1 out of over 100 people would find it funny. Besides if I said before hand that I was deliberately being retarded then the joke would loose its punch. It's not like Stephan Colbert is going to say before every episode I'm not serious.

I-am-a-panda, I didn't realy see anything "clogged with stupid debates." You also don't have to get ticked off at one stupid debate that you yourself took the time to read. It was your choice. You should have saw what was coming from a debate titled "lepricons".

KRFournier, what is their to win a debate when someone is acting as educated as a 5 year old. He didn't even have to try, but after getting my response dwice of me talking incoherintly you would think that he would realize he already won after the first response. I also take it that you would have tooken that arguement just get one more point on your total score.
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
to gain proper perspective, consider that the site tracks wins and losses. This immediately confers competitiveness on the part of avid debaters. Whether a debate is serious or silly, an opponent will accept the debate to win it--not just to have silly fun. It's not a sense of humor lacking on the part of the Pro's opponents; it's the lack of competitiveness on the part of the Pro.
Vote Placed by chrisintina 8 years ago
chrisintina
number1letterAAlexTied
Vote Placed by PGdebateQUEEN 8 years ago
PGdebateQUEEN
number1letterAAlexTied
Vote Placed by Alex 8 years ago
Alex
number1letterAAlexTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
number1letterAAlexTied
Vote Placed by paramore102 8 years ago
paramore102
number1letterAAlexTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
number1letterAAlexTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
number1letterAAlexTied
Vote Placed by Camuls 8 years ago
Camuls
number1letterAAlexTied
Vote Placed by brendizzle29 8 years ago
brendizzle29
number1letterAAlexTied