Elizabeth3648
Outplayz

Are people who have abilities often called "Witches" real?

Elizabeth3648

Pro

First round is acceptance.
Outplayz

Con

This should be interesting. A little background on me: i have been obsessed with the topic of witch craft since i was young. It naturally appealed to me. I have an atheistic spiritual view on life...no affiliated religion. Actually, the interesting thing is...i like to call myself Wiccan when asked what my religion is by others. I have a philosophy about this life that i will elaborate on in the subsequent rounds "imagination is our greatest power in this life." So, i am not sure if i am going to end up as a con or pro by the end of this, but...i stand as a con at this point. I can't wait to talk to you further. Also, i am new to this site so i am sorry if i am not following rules how i should be...feel free to lecture me for that if you must lol.
Elizabeth3648

Pro

Well I know for a fact that witches are real because I am a witch I have abilities. I have the abilities to do : read peoples emotions, I can influence the weather, and I can communicate with animals. I have been expanding on my abilities and I am getting new ones.
Outplayz

Con

Okay, so this is going to be hard for me to debate as a "Con" bc i am vaguely on your side. Just remember that as i present my opinions.

First ability (read peoples emotions)

This does not need any kind of 'magical' power. i am going to use myself as a real life example (humbly). I have work various sales jobs, and in every single one, i have been the top seller in my state (Cali). Everyone always asks me how i do it...i really don't even know lol. But, i have come to learn that i have this ability you speak of as well. I can read people. I can read them by the way they walk, look, talk or even don't talk. I am really good at accessing a persons emotions in person, and over the phone (not as good as in person). If i thought of this magically, i can say i have powers as well in this regard. Yet, i know that this is perfectly explained by laws in reality. However, maybe you can relate, there has been deaths in my family or friends and i get this weird feeling. The best way to describe it is, it kinda feels like the world is closing in on me. I get this feeling usually right before the event happens. I cannot explain this, and i cannot see how science can explain it either...it isn't testable bc it is random. So...maybe i do have an ability on top of being able to read people well...maybe the fact i can do this, i am unconsciously using my ability...Who knows, it's not testable. But, i can humbly say that it, for the most part, can be explained by laws in our current reality.

Second ability (I can influence the weather)

"Water nymphs hit the clouds, so the rain can come to the ground" It is really funny...bc every time i would chant this was to 'jokingly' freak people out that i can control rain. It happened every time i did it. But, again...i read the weather. I would do this when i saw clouds (sometimes weirder than other times bc the sun was kinda out too) and it would happen. But, the fact that i did it when i saw clouds, gave it a good chance i would get it right. Ultimately, it looked like it could rain anyways. It is kinda like getting a new car. When you're thinking about that car you start seeing it everywhere. You are just noticing it more bc you are thinking about it. If you are thinking about a weather event and it happens...it would be an ad hoc fallacy to say, "i was thinking about it and made it happen." You just notice it more bc you are thinking about it. Unless, it is a sunny day with no clouds and you say this (or your) chant and it rains ... funny thing is that happened to me once and it freaked me out, but that was just chance... It is sunny right now in Cali, and i know it is not going to rain during this time...so if i did the chant...i would fail. Another funny point...it drizzled last night lol. See, i am thinking about this now, so i can easily say it is my power doing this, and totally disregard that it is just something natural.

Third ability (I can communicate with animals)

You would honestly need to prove this to me. The burden of proof is on you. How do you communicate with animals? Can you tell them to grab you keys with your mind? Will they do it. Will they follow what you tell them? in that case, if you made a youtube channel doing this with various animals you will become a millionaire, and i would love to see it. Is it again just intuitive... is your animal looking sad and you say, "it is sad about 'x' situation" At that point you are just imagining. Again, however, i have weird stories. every time (and i am not joking "every time" so far) i go into a house that has a dog, the dog always comes to me first. Then their is the reverse...some dogs won't even come close to me or growl at me. But again, it would be an ad hoc if i said it is bc i have some magical power. It can be many reasons...they don't like my height, I often wear hats so they may not like that, they may not like my smell or the fact i have a cat. It is healthy for your own knowledge to think of these as well, not just conclude it is magical. Now, again i have a weird story. My neighbor had a black cat. This cat followed me everywhere, to the point it tripped my friends out. I would park my car on a hill 100 yards or so away from my house, and when i would get home, it was waiting for me. Weird thing is sometimes i would park close to my house and it would be there. But, again it is bc i was thinking about it like that, and noticed when it happened. Yes, the cat probably liked me and knew my routine. Knowing how cats work now, it makes more sense that it is just the natural abilities a cat has. It can hear my car and so on. But this also doesn't defeat the purpose that i have always had a weird connection with black cats, i love them the most. Ultimately it still was weird to me that this cat, that happened to be black, gravitated to me. Now i have a black cat and it won't leave my side...i unfortunately found my neighbors cat dead one day on the street and i picked him up and buried him. So, maybe my cat can feel that love in me and that is way it is so close to me...or i can think of it more logically and say it is bc it likes a very worldly trait of mine. My point is if i only think about it magically, then...that is the conclusion i will pull; but, i feel that would be close minded to all other very real possibilities.

Thank you for your response and i am really enjoying this talk. Just remember, i am not saying that there are no abilities that humans have that are 'supernatural' i am just saying that there are other explanations in this regard if you choose to think about them. There are many things that have happened in my life that i cannot explain, but i would feel like i am not growing if i gave them quick conclusions... especially an easy conclusion just dishing it out to be something magical. It is good to push your mind to think of everything, knowledge is power. Our minds are the greatest power on this plane of existence. There is a quote i like to say that i made up: "There is or never has been magic in this reality. The only magic we have is our imaginations; which, in itself is a wonder ... and, may hint to the real magic we posses."
Elizabeth3648

Pro

Ok well you do have a point however I know for a fact that I have the powers. I know this because I can tell you exactly what you were doing when you were young and how you felt about it. ( If you are in Person Without knowing anything about you.) Second I can influence the weather because it can be a totally sunny day not a cloud to be seen and then it just starts snowing at 56 degrees and I had just thought it and it started happening. Third my power to communicate with animals is where I can influence what the do by just looking at them. Also anytime I go to someone house I have never been too and there is an animal they love me and they never growl or hiss or anything at me.
Outplayz

Con

Thank you for your response and understanding. I see that this is a deep routed feeling that you have. I am just trying to encourage you to look at this both ways. So, i am going to repeat and incorporate my previous arguments. Everything you mention can be explained by what we know about human psychology and sociology...and other sciences that i am not aware of.

You probably have an ability in reading people. I understand how this can sometimes seem supernatural when you get it right. However, not to be rude, i doubt you can do this with accuracy.

The ability you mention about the weather can also be explained by chance. Like i previously said with the car analogy, if you are focusing on this, you will notice it more. ***i want to add at this point, off topic, i just got a deja vu lol. Anyways, once again i doubt that you can do this with accuracy.

The ability you have with animals can also be explained by natural ways. If you have a kind way of approaching animals they will like you. It's like saying Cesar (the dog whisperer) has powers. You can't look at it that way. He just understands animals and can do things not everyone can. But, he doesn't have any supernatural powers, he just has knowledge in the subject. I feel you are unknowingly applying the tricks that he does in regards to animals.

To conclude: i am not saying that people do not have some sort of supernatural abilities. We are still in the infancy of our existence. There may be many things we don't understand yet that we unconsciously do. So i encourage you to keep working with your intuition, but i am also trying to encourage you to look at it logically. All of these abilities you have mentioned, can easily be explained by the sciences we know. No one has been able to, under scientific scrutiny, prove these types of abilities. I also encourage you to prove me and the world wrong. I am actually anxiously waiting for someone to do this. You just have to prove it, because at this point, no one has.
Elizabeth3648

Pro

Elizabeth3648 forfeited this round.
Outplayz

Con

Thank you for this discussion. I hope you have a wonderful day/night, and a blessed journey.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
People who have abilities are real..People who have none are not what they could be..
Posted by Elizabeth3648 1 year ago
Elizabeth3648
Is that Better?
Posted by philochristos 1 year ago
philochristos
You probably ought to define "witch." After all, nobody doubts that the religion of Wicca exists and that it adherents consider themselves witches. But if you mean witches in the sense of Harry Potter--i.e. people who have magical abilities--then that's something different.