GalaxyLegend
loganhayes23

Are phones better than books??

loganhayes23

GalaxyLegend

Con

Generally people say that phones would be better and yes of course they are,but sometimes they can be addictive and some people just don't know were to stop.Getting addicted to old fashion books is not a problem as it doesn't damage your eyes or make you obese (which phones do) what do you think my dear public?? have your say
loganhayes23

Pro

By all means I will definitely have my say. Let me first say this, where*. Now that that is settled let me begin by saying according to every article I've ever read, the only way to somewhat damage your eyes would be prolonged use of a computer or cellular device, keyword being prolonged. Therefore meaning "continuing for a long time or longer than usual", as in sitting by a computer for your job, which would mean that you are voluntarily behind a computer for a long time. Of course no one has to take on this job unless it's what they really desire. But at the same time no one has really confirmed that it provides any damage to your eyesight, look it up buddy.

When it comes to obesity, yes there are a bunch of lazy people in this world, we can all agree on that, however the use of technology is no guarantee towards obesity of the users. Once again the number one reason for people being overweight would be prolonged use of phones, computers, video games, etc. and there would be many explanations for that. One being parenting, in the case of obesity in children. In my perspective, in almost every case parenting reflects on child behavior. If parents raise their children to be athletic, eat healthy, and maybe even have something to do with their lives, then those children won't be so bad off. If parents let kids do their own thing and eat whatever they want, do whatever they want and don't encourage them to do anything then what else can you expect? Also just going to point out that obesity is not necessarily a hereditary thing, but that's another topic. Not everyone is perfect, I know, but if people don't want to be "fat" then why would they force that upon themselves? It's basically their faults if they really get fat because of a stupid cell phone. All in all I think the issue of obesity is way bigger than the factor of technology, and that whole idea is very far fetched.

Bringing books to the table and saying that they can provide more than any technology device is such a bizarre statement. How would you learn more from some book than the internet when you're literally just a few clicks away from learning anything? Reading is definitely good for you, I won't say it's not, but if you're looking for obtainable knowledge, any form of technology these days can help with that.

All in all, face the facts my friend, though there are good books out there, with the way our society is advancing these days, it's going to be hard to fight against the power of technology....
GalaxyLegend

Con

Well then its settled .Your points are good but not good enough.I can prove you wrong .The scientists of today have proved that sitting in front of a screen and being exposed to the light the screen emits is very bad and can make you obese, which is not good by today's standards.I would whole heartedly approve the kindle paper white e reader to get info on stuff that you need its clearly a better choice than laptops or phones .Today's laptops and phone maybe good(I agree with you on that)
but there are some unwanted distractions such as ads and stuff(and FYI today's kids get easily distracted).Kindle is all that anyone could want ,I mean its got a screen(which is what today's generation wants),downloadable books and stuff .S the Kindle would beat any phone or laptop in the market for an info source.
loganhayes23

Pro

Alright buddy, put your pads on cause I'm about to hit you with some knowledge...

If my points are "good, but not good enough" then how is this "settled"? Can you prove me wrong? Can you really? Literally I can respond to this with the exact thing I just sent prior to your countering argument. The way I see it, this is going to be a long five rounds the way you're proceeding with this, if you would even consider it proceeding.

Literally as I have previously said, no scientist has perfected the fact that screens is a cause for obesity. You want to prove it to me? Give me sources. Here's one of mine:

As said in an article I read on digitaltrends.com, ""No one knows for sure at this point if prolonged use of digital devices actually causes permanent damage to the eyes," explained Gary Heiting, OD, senior editor of AllAboutVision.com, "but it"s well established that it causes eye strain and discomfort." Now yes it creates eye strain, but books don't? Not though that only talks about your eyes, let us return to obesity. The only current point I have to counter you is how exactly would you get fat by sitting in front of a computer, phone, tablet, etc. but you wouldn't by SITTING down a reading a book? Seems like the same concept to me.

Why in the world would you try to argue something, and at the same time bring in a potential new topic? (referencing when you talked about "distractions"). Actually make that two! In the end you add the argument of a kindle (fire) versus a laptop or phone! last time I checked we were talking about books my friend. The reason I put fire in parenthesis, besides describing my side of the argument, is because you first state that a "kindle paper white e-reader" would be a better alternative, but in your closing statement you're describing the kindle fire, which has a screen and downloads books and "stuff", that "stuff" being apps, music, games, and whatever you desire, and you want to talk about distractions. If you're talking about the kindle fire, it would provide the same amount of information that you may need, because it has an internet browser on it. The e-reader only has books on it, and has a completely different concept to it, but it is still just a book (with a screen). If you agree with me about phones and laptops being good, what even is your argument anymore? I find it comical how you started out talking bad about technology, and you literally just put statements that benefit my side. Think smarter not harder my friend.
GalaxyLegend

Con

GalaxyLegend forfeited this round.
loganhayes23

Pro

Well as shown by my contender forfeiting, I believe I have won this argument.
GalaxyLegend

Con

I havent forfieted yet
loganhayes23

Pro

Okay pal, carry on with your sad, useless, side of this debate.
GalaxyLegend

Con

GalaxyLegend forfeited this round.
loganhayes23

Pro

loganhayes23 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by U.n 12 months ago
U.n
GalaxyLegendloganhayes23Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited more turns.
Vote Placed by diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid 1 year ago
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
GalaxyLegendloganhayes23Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This made me laugh: "being exposed to the light the screen emits is very bad and can make you obese." Oh no, the phone is blasting me with it's fat-ray. Turn off the flashlight, you idiot, my pants are busting. Whose phone did you buy, Willy Wonka's? Argument: Con make his point pretty clear. Phones don't make you fat. Sitting on your ass makes you fat. Who jogs on a treadmill with a book? not me. Easy argument vote right. Hey, you can even have a conduct point for not forfeiting first. I don't blame you for not coming back .