FanboyMctroll
Nandu007

Are professional athletes such as MLB or NHL players overpaid?

Nandu007 has forfeited round #2.
Started: 11/25/2016 Category: Sports
Updated: 6 days ago Status: Debating Period

FanboyMctroll

Con

I am going to argue that professional athletes such as Giancarlo Stanton of the Marlins, or Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins or even Tom Brady are not overpaid. People complain that they are all rich spoiled players. Who agrees with that.

Because I don't think they are overpaid, and I will tell you why
Nandu007

Pro

I for on disagree with the statement " that professional athletes such as Giancarlo Stanton of the Marlins, or Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins or even Tom Brady are not overpaid." and think that they are extremely overpaid especially compared to those who have much more dangerous as well as important jobs which we as a society must have completed in order for us to thrive.
FanboyMctroll

Con

It's always easier to comment on something you are not completely immersed in such as this topic. Professional athletes are literally 1% of our society, therefore 99% of the people do not do their job and do not understand why they get paid so much. I'm going to break it down in layman's terms of what being a professional athlete is. I'm going to use myself as an example as I am not a professional athlete, but have made it to semi-pro in baseball before being cut. (Just not good enough)

Like I said before we are looking at 1% of the society, these athletes train their whole lives, this starts at an early age as young as 3 years old, while other kids are having fun and playing whatever they are playing, a pro athlete has been in a gym and training for up to 10 hours a day. While teenagers like to drink and smoke and have a good time. a pro athlete trains their body, nutrition is huge, there are no cakes and ice cream, your body is like a machine, there is no time for dating or just being lazy in your room on the computer. Pro athletes train their bodies from an early age and the training does not stop when you make it to the big leagues. There is no taking the week off or going on vacation so I'm going to eat pizza and chicken wings because the season is over. These peoples bodies need to hold up to vigorous exercise and conditioning for 365 days a year.

Next step is travel, how many of us travel across the country for over 180 days a year, traveling salesman maybe, but go to a different city every few days when on the road. We know how hard jet lag can be, what about hotel check-in, living out of a suitcase, then getting to the new city and performing at 100% everyday because you will be cut or send down to the minors if you are not up to par. There is no mailing it in, you have 50 thousand people watching you, heckling you plus the millions on tv, you have to show your best in front of a critical audience every night.

Now I don't want to take away from doctors, policeman, fireman and other very important jobs, and I agree that they should make more money but what it comes down to is the dollar, People want to see entertainment and they pay for it, while nobody wants to see a policeman and our property taxes pay for that.

The pro athlete makes the big money because it took them half their life to get to where they are and because they are the 1% of society that can do the job, the other 99% just aren't talented or lucky enough, to make it to pro level to make that kind of money, that is why minor league players make minimal wages, only the big stage talent makes huge money at the sacrifice to their families and travel for 3/4 of a year to entertain others while playing a game they have loved since they were little. There is a lot of sacrifice for a pro athlete, your family will only see you maybe for half a year if they are lucky.