joosmit116
renaynay414

Are rap, techno/dubstep, and screamo artists actual musicians?

Started: 2/12/2013 Category: Arts

joosmit116

Pro

This debate is about three specific genres of music that I personally have heard getting a bad reputation for not being "music."
There will be four rounds.
1. Acceptance
2. Your claim
In this round, we will state our why we took the side we did. i.e. "These genres are most definatly musical because ________..." You can take as few or as little space as you wish. THERE WILL BE NO REBUTALS THIS ROUND! This round is simply to open the argument. But if you are skimpy with the amount of arguments your use, the next round will be quite boring.
3. Rebutal 1
THIS round is where you will begin to show your disagreement with the other person. Be kind, repectful, and stay on the main topic please.
4. Rebutal 2/final statement
At this point, you want to get all of your points across because after this, there is nothing else.
We need to clarify what music means. This is the definition we will use
music- 1) The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. 2) A way for a person to express one's soul.
Now, I cannot control who enters this argument but before you take on this debate you should have some knowlegde of these genres. Don't just come in here and argue with me about something you have never listened to.
That should just about do it. Have at it!
renaynay414

Con

Are rap, techno/dubstep and screamo artists actual musicians?
First off I'm going to focus on dubstep because that peers to be the most controversial.
Dubstep artist's are, in fact, musicians. First off they meet both requirments for what defines music. Dubstep combines drum beats, wobble/yaw basses, and sometimes vocals to produce Dubstep. I believe in our society, we believe music consists of literally playing a musical instrument. I'm a huge fan of Dubstep, and that it explains that person's soul when they create a series of vocal instrumental sounds and produces a harmony. People are so new to the fact that you can make music with just a computer. Dubstep expresses an emotion, angry to happy. Not only does music express it's own emotion it let's us express our own emotions while listening to music. I find when I'm furious I listen to more filthy Dubstep because it fits my mood, and I'm not the only one who does this. Music fit's are own and artist's mood and acts as a comfort.
To say Dubstep is not music is like saying Beethoven's work isn't music. Despite how different they sound they both consist of the same elements.

(sorry for the bad grammar)
joosmit116

Pro

Alright. So just a side note con. You are arguing for the pro side even though you on the con side. And that is ok. We will just have to remember that from now on, even though you are technically on the "con side," for the rest of the debate you will be arguing on the "pro side." Plus the first round was supposed to be simply acceptance. So what you are going to do, after I make my claim, you are going to argue the PRO side of rap and screamo. Then we will begin the rebuttal stage. Got it? Good.
So the "artists" who create these rap, techno, and screamo songs have no real musical talent. When you make music, you are making art. That is why the people who make music are called artists. Now if we compare musical art to literal art, we might be able to understand this better. A good piece of art has a general theme as well as different artistic styles and colors that are systematically put together in such a way that it makes something beautiful. Something that makes sense. It is a real skill to be able to do that. However, if you just take a few paint cans and spatter them against a canvas, you can't call that art. What you made took no skill. Anyone can do that. You put no time and no effort into your "work of art." That is what screamo is like. It has no skill and no honest thought. And even if you make more "organized" art such as a rectangle, you can't call that art either. It once again, took no skill and no thought. That is what rap is like. And even if you use a machine to make beautiful art, you cannot consider yourself the artist. You didn't pitch in your two cents. The only thing you did was say, "Hey machine, make art." If anyone should be considered the artist, it should be the machine. It was the only thing that did any work.
renaynay414

Con

renaynay414 forfeited this round.
joosmit116

Pro

So you have no arguement?
renaynay414

Con

renaynay414 forfeited this round.
joosmit116

Pro

Thank you for playing.
renaynay414

Con

renaynay414 forfeited this round.
Posted by joosmit116 4 years ago
joosmit116
You can argue with me about whichever one you want. I believe that they are all musical but whichever side you take, I will play Devil's advocate for you.
Posted by Connoisseur 4 years ago
Connoisseur
Cut it down to dubstep.

If you do that I'll debate you.