debateking2h31
pattywyatt31

Are reservations based on caste really necessary in the modern world?

pattywyatt31 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

debateking2h31

Con

I strongly believe that reservations, at least in my country, are a nuisance. They are the root cause of all the discrimination, jealousy, disorder and inequality. At the time of their implementation, reservations were argued to be the most suitable weapons to combat inequality prevalent at those times. But today, as everyone, irrespective of caste, creed, gender or race, aspires for equal opportunity at the individual level, it appears to me that nothing could be more illogical as to continuing with reservations. Political leaders see the so called 'disadvantaged groups' among the populations as their vote banks and therefore don't agree to uplift reservations.
pattywyatt31

Pro

Could you define "reservations" and when referring to your country, which country are you talking about? When you use the term "necessary in the modern world" what do you mean by this? When was their time of implementation?
debateking2h31

Con

I am talking about India. Reservations were implemented in 1950's. What I mean by "necessary in the modern world" is that in this world, at our times, it seems very obvious that you need to treat everyone equally. If they are not treated equally, they will protest. This has happened because everyone is now becoming aware. If everyone is aware, then everyone has equal potential to qualify for a job or any post, provided, they prove themselves deserving. But reservations, which can be defined as preferences and privileges given to some people who belong to the so called 'backward sections', are a serious threat to equality in India. And I consider my opponent to be knowledgeable enough as to know what are 'backward sections' because entering this debate without previous knowledge is useless. And by the way, may I have the honor to know about my worthy friends country of origin?