KingDebater
kingsjester

Are school uniforms a good idea?

kingsjester

KingDebater

Pro

The structure of the debate will be the following.
Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - Arguments
Round 3 - Rebuttals
Round 4 - Rebuttals
kingsjester

Con

I look forward to seeing what your perspective is on this topic.
KingDebater

Pro

School uniforms exist solely to increase student productivity. The only arguments against school uniforms are childish ones like 'they are boring!' or 'we need to express our individuality!'. Both of these arguments fail as we aren't making students wear uniform all the time. They can express their individuality, it's just that you don't go to school to express individuality. You go to school to learn. School uniforms help students work harder.

I'm interested to hear your view.
kingsjester

Con

I'm hear to tell you why school uniforms aren't a good idea.
But first I must make an observation. Con has the BoP to show the negative effects of school uniforms by using evidence while Pro has the BoP how school uniforms are beneficial. Both sides must have evidence and Pro must show how they are beneficial he can not just show that they have no effect one way or the other, if pro cannot show thru evidence that school uniforms are beneficial, than the vote must go to con as there is no point in having school uniforms if they have no beneficial effect.

Moving on to my two main points.
1. School uniforms suppress expression.
My opponent has expressed that this is not a good argument as people can dress how they please outside of school but what needs to be seen is that it is not a matter of what you can do when outside of school, this argument is actually a matter of constitutional rights. In the first amendment, freedom of expression and religion are guaranteed to all no matter where they are. If a government-run institution (such as a public school) is causing citizens to not be able to have the full rights that the government granted them in the first place, then it causes one to have doubt in how much of a democracy we really have.
Sub Point: Social contract. The Social contract is the unwritten agreement between a government and its people that allows them to live in mutual harmony. According to constitution.org, one of the main elements of the social contract is the mutual defense of rights. By setting up our government, the leaders of it agreed to uphold this contract making the defense of our rights (such as freedom of expression) one of their most important functions. Therefore enforcing a school uniform on students violates our most sacred document (the Constitution) and also breaking the contract the made with us and how can we trust a gov. that cannot even uphold its own word.

2. School uniforms have no positive effect, in fact the have a negative effect.
According to a study done at Notre Dame University that examined the effect of school uniforms on attendance, disciplinary behavior problems, substance abuse, and academic achievement., no positive stastitical correlation was found with absenteeism, drug use, attitudes toward school, or student achievement. Strikingly, the authors found only one statistically significant correlation " a negative effect on student achievement by tenth graders forced to wear uniforms. We can see from this study that their are no positive effects of school uniforms but there are in fact negative ones making school uniforms an illogical decision for schools to implement. please cast a con ballot.

http://aclunv.org...
http://constitution.org...
http://westhavenword.com...
KingDebater

Pro

1. I'm not in america.
2. Source?
kingsjester

Con

I'm from America but this is not a conversation this is a debate, not to be rude but I wish you would post some more arguments but don't take this as me being a jerk I just really want to debate.
KingDebater

Pro

Where's your source for your second point?
kingsjester

Con

http://aclunv.org...
this is a source that I have already posted in my first speech so it was available to you. I apologize I misunderstood that the fact that you weren't in America was your rebuttal you should have made it a little more clear that it was your rebuttal. I thought that when you said source you were asking where I was from my apologies. I feel as if I have won this debate as I have evidence and have proved that there are no positive effects of school uniforms while my opponent has had no evidence and barely any points. Please cast a con ballot.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
> He had a source, but the source had no evidence.

I wish you'd said that during the debate. Calling into question his evidence, rather than simply asking him about it, would've made the debate more interesting. Still, to win, I suspect you'd need to actually produce some evidence in support of your own claims.
Posted by KingDebater 4 years ago
KingDebater
He had a source, but the source had no evidence.
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
"Proof?" - Your opponent provided evidence (sources) to justify his claim that school uniforms have no positive and some negative impact. You didn't provide any evidence to the contrary.
Posted by KingDebater 4 years ago
KingDebater
Proof?
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
KingDebaterkingsjesterTied
Reasons for voting decision: con had better args and more sources plain and simple
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
KingDebaterkingsjesterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro claimed, "School uniforms exist solely to increase student productivity. School uniforms help students work harder." However, Pro provided no sources in support of that claim, and Con rebutted the claim on the ground that it had no basis and that his own statistics (sources vote) showed the opposite. Even if the burden of proof were entirely on Con rather then shared, Con would've won on arguments.