Candela001
lissy20

Are school uniforms a good or bad idea?

lissy20

Candela001

Con

School uniforms are horrible and they are a bad idea. When I was younger my mom sent me to a Catholic School. I hated wearing the uniforms because they looked very old and out of style. I think that it can damage a child's self image because they are not able to express themselves in a proper way. I think that they will become more rebellious than a child who does not wear a uniform. They will become rebellious because, it is the parents who would make the child wear the uniform against the child's will. At least the majority of the children in my class did not like them. At the end of the day when class was over, me and my group of friends would be embarrassed to walk out of school because there was a public school nearby and those children wore their regular clothes. Schools, whether Catholic or Public should not let the children wear uniforms.
lissy20

Pro

Hello, Candela001. I accept your debate.
I think school uniforms are good for children and their parents. You argue that uniforms will damage a child's self image, but I do not agree. Children will learn to express their creativity and image outside of school. They can also express their image in other situations, like sports and hobbies. Also, the children will only wear the uniforms during school hours and not the entire day, so I do not see how it will damage the child's image. You also stated that most of the children in your class hated uniforms, but no every child does. I also attended a Catholic School. Everyone in my class seemed tolerable of wearing the uniforms. Wearing a school uniform will provide security and equality among the students. There will not be distinctions in class based on the child's economic status or it may be reduced. Everyone will be the same. This is easier for children to be judged on character and not on their financial situation.
Candela001

Con

Now that you are on the topic of financial situation, let me say that uniforms are expensive. Every year my mom would buy me new uniforms because I would outgrow them or the school would implement something new to wear. Most families are struggling to pay for the child's school, why should they struggle to pay for uniforms? You also have to buy a couple of uniforms because you wouldn't be able to rely on one or two sets. Uniforms are a waste of money in my opinion. You can't even wear them as normal clothes. I also think that kids will be judged one way or another. They will be judged and maybe bullied by children from other schools.
lissy20

Pro

I understand that uniforms are expensive, but it is nothing compared to the brand name clothing that children want these days. Clothes in general have gotten expensive. From shoes, to jackets, to pants, these have gotten very expensive and not every parent is capable of buying these things. You would only need to buy the uniforms at least once or twice a year as opposed to buying regular clothes on a more regular basis. Now a days children or teens want to wear the best clothing and they try to compete with their fellow classmates, so if they wear uniforms they will not be stressed out over what to wear. Also, uniforms help parents and children have a smoother morning. The children already know what they will wear. They will spend less time picking out clothes and more time for other things. The kids will have good clothes for the weekends.
Candela001

Con

As stated earlier, uniforms are uncomfortable and ugly. Having to be in such an uncomfortable outfit will impede the student from learning. They will focus more on the uniform being annoying than on the lessons taught. One would also get tired of wearing the same clothing every day. Also, I remember of students getting in trouble because they would not wear the uniform the correct way or if I would forget my tie, I would get detention. They should focus more on other things that really matter like grades than a dumb uniform!!
lissy20

Pro

Don't you think that by not following rules and regulations, you are not being a responsible student. Something so simple as wearing a uniform shows responsibility and maturity. As we grow older, sometimes we need to find jobs in which we are obligated to wear a uniform. This is a must and we cannot complain. Having a uniform policy in place prepares some children and teens for the future. This is very important if we want to hold a job. Most jobs also have a dress code or uniform policy which we would have to follow. Why not start from elementary school or high school?
Candela001

Con

Well what about if there is a school emergency or a natural disaster. Things could go very bad. How will the parents be able to find their children if all of them dress the same. I know I would have a hard time looking for my child. I can not imagine the parents going crazy looking for their child. This would be bad.
lissy20

Pro

Being in a natural disaster is a horrible thing, but I do not think the uniform has any effect on the parents looking for their children. In a situation like this, the parents would need to calm down and do things in an organized manner.

I also think uniforms are good because the children will be less distracted in the class room. The kids will have their attention towards the teacher and not on what people are wearing. This can also avoid girls dressing up to provocative. Parents can feel more secure that their daughters are dressed appropriately. Boys will also be dressed appropriately.
Candela001

Con

I still think uniforms are a bad idea. To sum up everything I think they can destroy a kid's self image, they are very uncomfortable to wear, they are expensive and a waste of money.
lissy20

Pro

Uniforms help discipline children. Like I said before, it can give someone a good image and prepare a child for the future.
They can also help instill pride in the school because everyone is wearing the same clothing and because it can make them feel more united. These are the reasons why I think uniforms are good for children.
Posted by owen99999 2 years ago
owen99999
Have a look on my profile. I had a debate about this topic and I think I made a good case FOR school uniform; even though I don't like wearing it.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 2 years ago
1dustpelt
Candela001lissy20Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con repeated several args. Con made assumptions such as "School uniforms are all ugly and uncomfortable" How does he know? School uniforms differ alot. Con dropped every argument and the restated them in the end without refuting anything.
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 2 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
Candela001lissy20Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I think Con's argument was more structured, though Pro also brought up good points. Good job both.