lucianimsc2015
allenmsc2015

Are school uniforms bad?

Started: 3/16/2015 Category: Fashion

lucianimsc2015

Pro

We are for school uniforms because they prevent bullying. Everyone has to wear the same clothing which makes it harder for kids to bully; especially teenagers in high school who may actually care about the latest fashion. It also helps those who can not afford to buy the expensive clothing that everyone else is wearing to fit in more with the crowd.
allenmsc2015

Con

School uniforms are an unrealistic representation of clothing worn in society outside of schools. Uniforms don't allow students to learn how to respect others who may be wearing clothing that differs from something that they would choose to wear.
lucianimsc2015

Pro

Students in public schools who dress differently normally get made fun of and are at a higher risk for bullying. There are other ways to express your personality other than your clothing style. Having uniforms can put every student at an equal level.
allenmsc2015

Con

Clothing is one of the main ways that people will perceive you before they get to know you. The way you dress shows your personality and attitude towards life.
lucianimsc2015

Pro

People should not judge a book based on its cover. Judging someone by their appearance does not reflect their inner self. Wearing school uniforms does not subtract from who the person actually is. If anything, they encourage people to approach others in order to get to know them better.
allenmsc2015

Con

Even if it's wrong to judge someone by what they're wearing, it is human instinct to make a judgement on someone based on how they look. In a way, clothing can reflect someone's inner self because their thoughts and beliefs can be shown through clothing. School uniforms stop people from showing other people what they feel on the inside.
lucianimsc2015

Pro

Not everyone uses clothing to express themselves. Some wear certain clothing simply because they like the style, not because it reflects who they are. School uniforms don't prevent anyone from expressing themselves;they don't turn you into a lifeless zombie. Most people use their words to express who they are.
allenmsc2015

Con

Some people don't want to express themselves through words and they are more comfortable with letting their personality show through their clothes. Showing your personality should be an outward expression.
lucianimsc2015

Pro

Clothing is not necessary to express oneself though. Some people may be more comfortable expressing themselves through clothing but it is not the only way. Even with the uniform, one can express them self through the shoes they wear or even, as a girl, hair accessories. Having a school uniform simply makes the student body look neater and eliminates one source of bullying. I'm sure many would rather wear the uniform than be potentially bullied by their peers for their clothing.
allenmsc2015

Con

Uniforms may make the students look neater, but they give an unrealistic expectation to students that everyone should dress the same. Bullying will happen no matter what. If students are not bullied based on their clothes, they can still be bullied on their shoes or hair accessories. Students should not wear uniforms because they should have the freedom of expression.
Posted by 3rd_eyed_doll 1 year ago
3rd_eyed_doll
School uniforms are a horrible idea because students can't express who they truly are. Plus, not all students care about the latest trends, they just wear what they like.
Posted by lollipopmary 1 year ago
lollipopmary
I think that having school uniforms would be bad because then the students couldn't show how they really feel. It is a bad idea.
Posted by Ben_Cofield 1 year ago
Ben_Cofield
As a student in high school right now, I can tell you for sure that what you wear has absolutely nothing to do with bullying. Literally nothing. When I see a new person I don't instantly judge them by their clothes. I rarely even notice. When students are allowed to wear whatever they want, students learn to accept people more. I notice a lot of Christian academies and religious schools having heavy restriction on clothing and lots of students I have met from these are very judgmental. I carry my stuff in this Mickey Mouse laptop case and at the beginning of the school year I was called gay for carrying it around, and after a couple weeks, no one even mentions the laptop case to me.
Posted by desaulnierspmsc2014 1 year ago
desaulnierspmsc2014
Wow -- great comments! Would have like to see the argument for/ against uniforms move beyond issue of bullying. Why do schools enforce dress codes to begin with? How does it promote/ hinder student identity?
Posted by wowmasterolearyshane2015 1 year ago
wowmasterolearyshane2015
If somebody is getting bullied for the clothes they wear they should just workout, get ripped, and beat the shitt out of the kid bullying them.
Posted by zhoumsc2015 1 year ago
zhoumsc2015
It is true that uniforms can prevent bullying in some extent, but it is not the only and the most effective way. Schools can provide dress codes, but students should have the rights to choose what they want to wear.
Posted by ferrimsc2015 1 year ago
ferrimsc2015
I agree that school uniforms are a good way to prevent bullying. Everyone is wearing the same apparel which removes the potential for judgment, and harassment based on physical appearance.
Posted by PaolinoMSC15 1 year ago
PaolinoMSC15
This argument is STUPID!