jyotipatel
revic

Are social networking sites good for our society?

revic

jyotipatel

Pro

I believe that there is nothing wrong in social networking sites,and it does not mean It is safe.
It depends on how we use it.
What all of you think?
revic

Con

Mhykiel is absolutely right in the comment section, that your "it depends on how we use it" matters alot.

I will use facebook, the most commonly used site as an example.

Facbook does its absolute best to prevent people on the site from being antisocial while on it. They have failed, in my opinion.
A few great attempts of theirs are the "seen" things that pop up when someone read your message. This will prevent people from ignoring others, as the others now have proof that they are being ignored. The excuse "I didn't see it" fails.

However, that is not what happens. People now use hacks/don't open messages just to not have to talk to some people. Why would they do such an effort just to be so antisocial? Because that's what the site is about: yourself, rather than others.

By the use of a profile, people use the site mainly to create their own identity and then see the reaction/interaction from other people. With the "like"-system, people were given an easy way to show appreciation which really does bring alot of satisfaction on the receiving end.

But now, wonder: how much do you REALLY use the like button? I'd say, one of the 50 posts that you see will receive a like. This results in some people not getting any likes at all, others getting plenty.

Either way, both the ones receiving no likes will be sad and jealous (also in their real social life!) of certain persons, while others will have very high standards regarding the attention they receive.

These are just some points, I could go on for some time. I'd first like to see your opinion, and your reaction!
jyotipatel

Pro

jyotipatel forfeited this round.
revic

Con

Another fun debate that went to hell. Great!
jyotipatel

Pro

jyotipatel forfeited this round.
jyotipatel

Pro

jyotipatel forfeited this round.
jyotipatel

Pro

jyotipatel forfeited this round.
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
I hope Pro is alive and well.

@Revic if this goes to forfeit of all rounds. Just message me and I'll vote.
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
I would debate you. But in the first round you state, "it depends how we use it." Agreed. Now if you want to say that the way it is being used is good for society, then I would contend that. Personally I feel social sites are rather antisocial. But yet here I am on this site having a ball, lol. So it's a fine line and I don't think anyone could take a strong stand, or absolute stand, either way on social networks.
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
jyotipatelrevicTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.