BappleMan
Cart

Are social networking sites good for society?

Started: 10/8/2015 Category: Technology

BappleMan

Con

Social media allows people to access vulnerable data and information about people and corporations quicker than ever before, this leaves people and businesses open to attacks (both online through data theft, and in real life through break in's)
People also use social media to spread negative 'slander' and false information which is detrimental to society!

Criminals often use social media to commit and promote crimes and it is a known fact social media helps cyber bullies bully without revealing they're identity.

Can anyone accept the challenge and defend social media?

http://www.theregister.co.uk...
Cart

Pro

There's a lot of benefits to social media. Keeping in touch with family and old friends from college/highschool. Promoting one's business and discovering new businesses. It can enable some people with physical disabilities to make money from their home. General discussions about a variety of topics (like we do on this website). And a lot of people nowadays are even meeting their spouses from these sites.

It doesn't mean we have to obsess over it and be a slave to it. Just that it's good to have.

Lots of beneficial customs and institutions have downsides and risks to them, but that does not make them (in an overall sense) bad for society. Social media for example may benefit from some regulation but not utter condemnation.

All technology and new discoveries have problems associated with them. It doesn't mean they're inherently bad.
Anesthetics may be abused in recreation by some people but they're still practical for millions of medical surgeries. Cars result in crashes, but are still a very practical technology that has improved lots of lives. The internet itself (excluding social media) is a groundbreaking technology with a lot of risks. There are perverts, stalkers and Feds crawling around, but that's not stopping us from having this debate. Telephones have risks too.

Everything's a risk. Skydiving is a risk. Eating ice cream is a risk. Nothing (short of living in a bubble and doing nothing) will ever be completely safe. Things like shooting up heroin or swearing at a cop are pursuits which have more downsides than upsides. But if we're looking at something millions of people use, and maybe one out of every few thousand people who use it suffer a negative consequence, it's still good odds.

In order to condemn something, the odds of there being an outcome need to be beyond trace. If hundreds of million people use social media, and you can only find a few cases of hackings, murders and such which have been facilitated this way, then it's not a real threat.

You would need literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of examples of tragedies that happen via social networking in order to convince me there's even a 1 out of 1000 chance I'm going to get hurt by using my Facebook account.
BappleMan

Con

This is as you can probably tell, my first debate and I now realize that my above argument was not satisfactory so I will make sure to add more content to further arguments.

Whilst you are correct when saying social media has its benefits, I think that it still has a negative affect on society- you say that everything is a risk and yes that is also true, however certain things have a higher risk ... or the risk has a more serous outcome.
Eating ice cream has its risks, brain freeze- possible choking hazard etc
But using social media also has its risks except this time there is a higher chance of the risk occurring and the outcome is often more serious.

http://www.ranker.com...
If you would kindly have a look at the above list you will see that there is only 13 "craziest deaths" listed on this site, however more research reveals hundreds... possibly thousands more sites each showing between 10 and 30 social media deaths.
Social media is too easy for people to manipulate and abuse the privileges that come with using social media.
There really is a high chance that you will be negatively affected by social media.
Thousands of people use social media to target socially isolated people- PEOPLE WHO ARE VULNERABLE AND DON'T REALIZE THAT THAT BLONDE DOESN'T REALLY HAVE A CRUSH ON HIM... SHE JUST WANTS TO MURDER HIM!

I wanted to add a personnel touch to this so I thought I would tell you about my experience.

The other day I was browsing twitter, catching up with my friends and seeing what crap was on my twitter feed, suddenly the feed went into a rapid frenzy and within a few seconds the whole feed was filled with people retweeting the picture of Justin Bieber with his semi hard dick hanging out whilst he was walking around his mansion.

Its such a bloody shame I can't attach pictures to this as I really would like to see if you cry when forced to view his obscenities.

*UPDATE* My feed is still filled with these horrific pictures so I have decided to destroy my phone in the hope I can escape
Cart

Pro

Social media can be used for slander and false information? So can newspapers, radio stations, televisions and non-networking websites on the internet. Whenever a new technology is out, people tend to scrutinize it the most before they eventually accept it. All of the above mediums I mentioned had their hurdles too when they first came out and we worked past those. Social networking isn't too different.

It's not enough to give me a few examples of crazy deaths to prove that social media is likely to hurt the average user. I would need a more broader statistical analysis and nation-wide crime reports.

You can attach all the gruesome pictures you want, but it means nothing if it's not statistically probably. I could probably find pictures of people who were brutally shot to death just while they were walking on a side walk, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't walk on side walks.

As it stands, hundreds of millions of people use social media websites. If only ~.00001% of people are killed because of it, then it's safer than driving to the grocery store and we should keep doing it.
BappleMan

Con

Turkey is one of the countries who has been provided access to crime statistics from several social media sites (governments have to request the information) I think its fairly clear that there is a problem with social media sites due to the fact that they now block the usage of facebook and twitter.

Last year there were just over 20,000 "average users" who reported crimes related to facebook in the UK.
Considering that there was only 46% of the UK's population that had a social media account crime is set to increase as listed below:

1) Crime rates will more than double as more people make social media accounts
2) Crime rates will increase largely as the people who made social media accounts actually use them and upload data to them
3) Crime rates will increase as people start using more than one form of social media
4) Crime rates will increase as people start to accept social media as a part of daily life and allow they're guard to drop
5) Crime rates will increase yet again as more people realize the potential of social media for committing crime and they will give it a go.
6) These crime rates will be constantly increasing as the population increases and more people use the platforms.

You state that "As it stands, hundreds of millions of people use social media websites. If only ~.00001% of people are killed because of it, then it's safer than driving to the grocery store and we should keep doing it."
Surely if everyone started doing heroin and only .00001% of people are killed from it each day its not something we should keep doing?
*edit* it's more than .00001% that die in some way connected to using social media.

You have a fair point that if someone is shot walking on a sidewalk we should not stop walking on sidewalks- and yes that is true in a case like that where the likeliness of that happening is not very probable.
However as I have outlined above the statistics of being victimized on social media and having a crime committed against you is an increasing probability.
This debate was to decide is social media has a negative affect on society- I think I have proven it does, Yes other things like newspapers also have a negative affect on society but this debate was about social media and whether it negatively affects society... which it does.
Cart

Pro

According to ons.gov.uk (Office for National Statistics, UK Government), there are 64 million people in the country.

You said 20,000 crimes have been committed on social media and that 46% of people in the UK use social media.

46% of 64 million is 29 million users. 20,000 divided by 29 million , according to my calculator, is around ~.0007.

Converted to a percentage that's 0.07 percent of users that face crime. That means even if the amount of social media crime were multiplied by 10, you wouldn't even have a 1% chance of getting afflicted. So, I'm not going to worry about something that doesn't even affect 1 out of 1000 people.

The problem with something like heroin is that 23% of people (according to drugabuse.gov) get addicted - not a mere 0.07% - and that's a big difference.

Your debate topic wasn't "Does social media have negative effects". It was (and I quote verbatim) "Is social newtworking good for society". Everything has it's pros and cons, but OVERALL and ON THE WHOLE, social media is good (and safe for 99.9% of it's users).

The only way to be 100% safe is to do nothing and stare at the wall all day. But I'll take 99.9% safe easily.