Nastenka_Zhuk
coachlondon

Are students' rights as necessary as other rights?

coachlondon has forfeited round #2.

Nastenka_Zhuk

Pro

I think, that students' rights are really necessary and can't be considered as something secondary and non-important. First of all, students are people and people have rights. So first and foremost, every student should be respected, whatever gender, skin colour or background they have. As a rule, students are considered to have much less rights than other participants of educational process. I mean, that we are constantly told, that teachers are always right and there is no other option. So generally it means, if a teacher was very subjective to you an put you, for example, an unfair mark for your work, as a rule, you just have to put up with it. I don't try to say that teachers should be disrespectable. My point is that students should have their own rights equally as all human beings.
In my humble opinion, the universities should be more concerned about the implementation of students' rights. It should be their first and main priority.
coachlondon

Con

Students do have rights. I think most students struggle with the proper application of their rights. I do not feel students are usually put down by teachers as much as I feel the teacher will challenge the student in an attempt to expand on their ideas. Students can benefit by accepting the challenge and explore additional paths in their thinking. For the most part I find students rebel against what I would consider a reasonable request from the teacher and would like to be seen as a victim. If a mistake is made by a teacher, the student has the right to bring that flaw to the attention of the teacher or if need be the administration. I feel strongly that the mistake will be addressed and corrected. I think students who attempt to take these steps and fail is because of a lack of supporting information for their claim.
Students are in a learning environment and they can benefit from understanding structure and accountability.
Nastenka_Zhuk

Pro

I don't fully agree with you. Firstly, what do you mean by "a reasonable request from the teacher"? It really matters, because it often depends on what kind of request it is and whether a student has an opportunity to fulfil it or not. Often students also lack for time or have other reasonable excuses, which can be regarded as a fib.
Secondly, not all students would like to be seen as a victim. For some it's the greatest shame and failure, if somebody sees their weaknesses. And when students sometimes have to reveal them, they get laughed at. Not even laughed at, but their weaknesses are regarded as something non-important, which shouldn't prevent them from learning. As only learning is considered the highest priority.
Thirdly, "If a mistake is made by a teacher, the student has the right to bring that flaw to the attention of the teacher or if need be the administration." Of course, it is true, but which side is usually taken in such questions? The answer is almost clear: the side of teachers, with only some very rare exceptions possible. And it happens mostly not because of a lack of supporting information for the claim, but because if a teacher's flaw is accepted, it may lead to students' anarchy, so to say. And even on psychological level, it is always hard for older people to accept their mistakes, especially when they are pointed out by students. It is regarded as disparagement, but not the will od students to protect their rights.
One more point: "I do not feel students are usually put down by teachers as much as I feel the teacher will challenge the student in an attempt to expand on their ideas." I agree, that this can be true for many situations, but maybe the form of this so-called "challenge" should be changed a little bit, because if it is regarded by some as putting down, it raises some questions, don't you think?
And the last but not least, in my opinion, students struggle not with "the proper application of their rights", but it is environment and even mentality (in some countries), that should be changed to provide students the necessary freedoms.
Posted by coachlondon 9 months ago
coachlondon
Nastenka_Zhuk, I would like to continue the debate. I am not sure how I forfeited my round but if need be I would like to move on to the next round. The one point I would like you to consider is it seems as if you are asking for the rules to be changed to accommodate the students as oppose to the student adjusting to fit the system.
I appreciate you passion for your points.
Posted by sboss18 9 months ago
sboss18
TheBenC, I think Pro is talking about university students.
Posted by TheBenC 9 months ago
TheBenC
Students are kids. Kids have 0 rights. Their rights are assigned to their parents and guardians. Kids are too young to make their own decisions. Yes the teachers are actually right because they are adults.

Wait until you get older and you will understand. It is impossible for students to realize just how immature they. It is impossible for them to comprehend how important experience is. One day you will look back and realize you were barely more than a toddler.
Posted by Jonbonbon 9 months ago
Jonbonbon
Is this even a topic people think about? I've never heard anyone say "student rights" until now. These rights things really are getting ridiculous.
Posted by sboss18 9 months ago
sboss18
What exactly do you mean by "other rights"? How are they different than students' rights?
Posted by JimShady 9 months ago
JimShady
I agree with Pro. Students don't shed their Constitutional rights at the school door. I think that was established in Tinker v Des Moines Supreme Court case