Nastenka_Zhuk
jazasultan

Are students' rights as necessary as other rights?

Nastenka_Zhuk

Pro

I think, that students' rights are really necessary and can't be considered as something secondary and non-important. First of all, students are people and people have rights. So first and foremost, every student should be respected, whatever gender, skin colour or background they have. As a rule, students are considered to have much less rights than other participants of educational process. I mean, that we are constantly told, that teachers are always right and there is no other option. So generally it means, if a teacher was very subjective to you an put you, for example, an unfair mark for your work, as a rule, you just have to put up with it. I don't try to say that teachers should be disrespectable. My point is that students should have their own rights equally as all human beings.
In my humble opinion, the universities should be more concerned about the implementation of students' rights. It should be their first and main priority.
jazasultan

Con

"I think, that students' rights are really necessary and can't be considered as something secondary and non-important."
-but they aren't considered as non-important (or secondary)?

First of all, students are people and people have rights. So first and foremost, every student should be respected, whatever gender, skin colour or background they have.
-I completely agree with you on this but people ARE being treated with respect regardless of there gender, skin, etc. The only time they get bullied or disrespected is by they fellow classmates.

I mean, that we are constantly told, that teachers are always right and there is no other option.
-This is not true. I don't know which messed up school your in where they tell you that teachers are ALWAYS right because teachers are also humans and every human make mistakes.

So generally it means, if a teacher was very subjective to you an put you, for example, an unfair mark for your work, as a rule, you just have to put up with it.
-Or the better option would be that you tell the teachers they've make a mistake and if the don't listen to you tell an adult (or supervisor) or you can even go yourself and complain on her/him about how they are being unfair. I'm sure school will take matters into there own hands to look further into this.
Nastenka_Zhuk

Pro

1) Of course, they are considered unimportant. Some people even don't know, if they really exist and what they are. Here is the coment of the real person about students' rights: "Is this even a topic people think about? I've never heard anyone say "student rights" until now. These rights things really are getting ridiculous."

2) I can't agree with on this point either. Doy you really think, that black and white students are treated equally at school even today? Of course, the situation is getting better, but not everywhere. Furthermore, if we take, for example, students who represent LGBT community. They are often bullied even by teachers, they can't find support at school and in result become outcasts, who are treated very subjectively. I'm not saying, that all teachers are like this, but nevertheless, the problem still exists. One more point is that there are cases, when students with richer parents become favourites among teachers, just because their parents have more money and can help school materially.

3) and 4) I agree with you on the point, that teachers are of course humans and can make mistakes. But! By "teachers are always right" I meant, that it is extremely hard to complain about teachers, because usually administration just won't listen to you. Or if it even does, they won't believe you, but teacher, because in their opinion, a student is more likely to tell lies, than a teacher. Even if they believe you, teachers often go unpunished. As a result, nowadays students are just afraid of complaining about teachers, because it is only worse for them.
jazasultan

Con

""Of course, they are considered unimportant. Some people even don't know, if they really exist and what they are.""
- Students have more freedom to express their faith than you may realize.
Your child CAN:
1)Pray at school.
2)Talk about God in class assignments.
3)Start a religious club on campus that receives the same rights and resources as other clubs.
4)Freely share their faith with others.

Parents can also benefit their child"s life because they CAN:
1) Opt your child out of curriculum that would require them to violate your family's religious beliefs.
2)Choose the best educational environment for your child, such as charter school, private school, or homeschool.

"Do you really think, that black and white students are treated equally at school even today? Of course, the situation is getting better, but not everywhere. Furthermore, if we take, for example, students who represent LGBT community. They are often bullied even by teachers, they can't find support at school and in result become outcasts, who are treated very subjectively."
-Diversity and Inclusivity. Our generation is riding a cultural and demographic wave that will redefine our nation. Our schools will see this change first, as they always have, and we must make sure that they are not worn down by the same racism, sexism, classism, homophobia, and other vices that cling to our society. The classroom should be a place where everyone can come together to learn.