jessica_a1999
Pickle-Face18

Are subjects we learn in school useful outside school?

jessica_a1999

Pro

I think that subjects we learn in school are useful due to many motives...
First of all most subjects help in the future for a bright career. Most and many of the subjects taught in school are the basis for our imminent professions! Subjects like history help us to know mistakes made in the past, learn about them in the present, and not repeat the same missteps in the time to come. Many people may say that most topics studied in Mathematics, like algebra or Trigonometry, won't help on a daily basis, but when you come to think of it, it is very frequently used without even noticing. Social interaction skills taught in schools, such as team-work, communication skills, etc, help our social personality outside school. They may be a few downsides, but just think about our world if there was no education!
Pickle-Face18

Con

* I am participating in this argument with the assumption that we are debating the usefulness of subjects taught in HIGH SCHOOL, since your profile says that you are 14 years old.
I agree that some of the subjects we learn in school are somewhat important in the world; but I disagree with your sentence "most and many of the subjects taught in school are the basis for our imminent professions". That isn't true. You may need those subjects to get your diploma/degree, which would be necessary to get said professions; but you really aren't using your knowledge from most of your required subjects in your job/in the world. For example, math is a required subject in every school, and, of course, passing all your math courses is necessary to getting your diploma and to move on in life. But there are few professions that require you to use your math skills regularly. You said that the math skills we learn in school are "very frequently used without even noticing". Could you clarify, please?
And social interaction skills are not TAUGHT at schools. We acquire our social/communication skills through life and through ourselves. This learning may happen AT school (geographically) but it is certainly not taught through a formal curriculum structure. We would most likely have excellent social skills even if our current education system didn't exist.
Therefore, most of the content that we learn in school (high school specifically) will not be necessary through the rest of our careers and the rest of our lives as people.
jessica_a1999

Pro

Most and many subjects taught in school are the basis for our imminent professions. I said this because ultimately, even if you don't get a high-profile/high-paid job, subjects like Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry is definitely necessary! (For example: Running a house needs the subject Maths) Even if it's just the basics of a subject, it is still important for living.
You had mentioned that social/communication skills aren't learned in school, but in some schools like the one which I attend. We have a subject called PSE (Personal and Social Education), which teaches us social and communication skills, basically helping us to become more aware of ourselves and of the world around us.
A topic like Trigonometry might not be used in our daily lives, but if you plan on taking any part of Maths for a future career, topics like these are vital. Obviously, there might be a few disadvantages as well; but in my opinion, the advantages weigh down the disadvantages.
Pickle-Face18

Con

Could you explain to me how Math is important when running a house?
I didn"t know courses like yours existed. They should exist in more places, because then, yes, that one particular subject would in fact be useful outside of school. But the initial debate question refers to more than one subject. So, like I said earlier, a few of the subjects that we take in school might be important depending on your career, and depending on whether or not your school offers PSE or not. So unless we can make programs like that more well-known and widely spread; subjects we learn in school are not usually useful outside in the world.
And what advantages and disadvantages are you referring to? The advantages of taking math in school? Sorry, I"m a bit confused.
Sorry about the "s. My computer does it automatically.
jessica_a1999

Pro

jessica_a1999 forfeited this round.
Pickle-Face18

Con

You're choosing to forfeit?

I guess since we don't have any more rounds to argue, this debate has concluded.

Thank you, and voters; vote away! :)
Posted by Claudio 3 years ago
Claudio
I would choose to agree your point at some way; however, what you mentioned in your essay seems is not exactly correct. for example the mathematics one, i would love to ask you will you use "cos 30" and "sin60" while you are consuming in the supermarket? obviously, we won't. Therefore , i will choose to redefine the meaning of educating, it should be focus on the daily need and the development on character.