SoulReturns
SocialismBeatsGreed

Are teenagers mentally inferior to adults?

SoulReturns

Pro

Is the brain/mind of a teenager noticeably lesser than that of an adult?

PRO = Yes, teenagers are mentally inferior.
CON = No, they are not.

I am a teenager, fifteen years old. Therefore, because of the nature of the topic, I believe it is fair to only allow a teenager (14-17) to be the opponent.

First round is for acceptance. Just state that you will be the opponent.
The real debate starts in round two.

Also, please note that shreds of scientific evidence for this debate are not helpful. For example, I could say: "research has shown that the teenager's brain is not fully developed" and get an instant win. Instead of this, we will argue about whether or not the mental inferiority is noticeable and impacting, or if teenagers are mostly the same as adults.

Good luck.
SocialismBeatsGreed

Con

Hello all.

As the first round is just for acceptance, I would just like to take time to thank both the instigator and all of the voters. Good luck to my opponent, who I will be referring to simply as "Pro", and to the voters, please vote Con.

I will be making my argument against the generalization that "teenagers are mentally inferior to adults.".

Thanks again, and I will see you all in Round 2!
SoulReturns

Pro

SoulReturns forfeited this round.
SocialismBeatsGreed

Con

Argument I

The statement "Teenagers are mentally inferior to adults." is saying that ALL teenagers are mentally inferior to ALL adults. The statement makes no distinction to show that there are indeed exceptions.

It is not difficult to find an example of a teenager that is more mentally developed than an adult. There are many adults that suffer from mental disorders and impairments that prevent them from working on even elementary levels of thought and problem solving, much less on the levels of teenagers. The generality fails to account for clear exceptions, and thus it is false.

Argument II

The statement "Teenagers are mentally inferior to adults." is akin to comparing apples to oranges.

A "teenager" is generally viewed as an age range between 13 and 19 years of age. My opponent defines it in his opening statement as an age range between 14 and 17 years. Either way, the term "teenager" applies to age, whereas the word "adult" is defined by Meriam Webster Dictionary to mean "fully grown and developed", i.e. a state of being. A state of being is not comparable to an age range, so the argument is invalid.

Argument I was operates under the assumption that the creator of the debate meant that "teenagers", aged 14 to 17, were less mentally capable than humans aged 18+.

Thats all folks. Good luck to my opponent.
SoulReturns

Pro

SoulReturns forfeited this round.
SocialismBeatsGreed

Con

I will extend all of my arguments.
SoulReturns

Pro

SoulReturns forfeited this round.
SocialismBeatsGreed

Con

SocialismBeatsGreed forfeited this round.
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
I know, it's an easy win...
Posted by lit.wakefield 3 years ago
lit.wakefield
He has defined teenager as 14-17.
Posted by shiv_ramdas 3 years ago
shiv_ramdas
nope. Pro is smart actually. Since con is starting with the difinition 'visibly mentally inferior' and has not deined teenager, pro will score an easy win the moment he brings this up and compares a 13 year old to a 30 year old.
Posted by Jingram994 3 years ago
Jingram994
'Less developed' =/= 'not developed at all'. And 'less developed' =/= 'stupider' (aka mentally inferior). I know a lot of adults who are complete idiots, to the point that I'm astounded that society sees fit to label them as 'adults', and I likewise know a lot of teenagers who are generally much more intelligent than the average adult.
A less developed brain does not mean one is 'mentally inferior'; it means one's brain is not as mature, and works differently (not 'worse') than adult brain.
Posted by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
Nevermind. I'm not 14-17.
Posted by lit.wakefield 3 years ago
lit.wakefield
I don't understand why you are limiting a debate about teenagers and adults to just teenagers.
Posted by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
I would like to accept this debate.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 3 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Pro is apparently "mentally lesser" than a toddler.
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
What an incredibly stupid instigation.