Shinobu
Rorschach

Are television programs that focus on fighting such as UFC too dangerous/inappropriate for TV?

Started: 11/9/2013 Category: TV

Shinobu

Con

Television programs focused on fighting ring-style face way too many critics. Men and women everywhere train hard to fight in the ring.
I will happily debate this topic with anyone willing to.
Rorschach

Pro

Firstly, this is my first debate, and it is a pleasure to debate with you.
Albert Bandura, the renowned social psychologist, said that models (people who model behavior) have a direct impact on the actions of learners (the ones who observe), and this results in different effects. One of the effects is one that the UFC fighting causes, called the "Disinhibitory Effect." The disinhibitory effect is when the observer is less fearful of doing forbidden behavior when the model is NOT punished. The UFC fighters are not simply not punished, they are rewarded by fame and admiration. UFC fighters, for pre-adults at least, check many of the boxes for who people would make as a model. Young adults and children may be inclined to believe that they are admirable, powerful, competent, and, importantly, 'gender-appropriate.' Bandura also says that in order for modeling to be effective, there are four processes that must take place:
1. Attention: observer will only give attention to someone with the model characteristics. (UFC fighters will get attention for sure -Check)
2. Retention: model must do something that is memorable. (A UFC move done properly, i am certain, is memorable)
3. Reproduction: observer has to be able to replicate model"s behavior, and has to believe he can. (Kids and teens will certainly try)
4. Motivation: observer needs reinforcement (social, or whatever)
This last point ties in with what is called Learning-Performance-Distinction. With reinforcement, be it peer reinforcement, acceptance, or even an admiring look here or there, even those who may not have normally been inclined to perform the violence they see, the reinforcement pushes them to do it. Also, psychologists Craig Anderson and Karen Dill investigated the link between video game violence and aggressive behavior and found that in lab studies students who played a violent video game behaved more aggressively than those who had not played a violet game. In 2005, the American Psychological Association issued a report concluding that exposure to violent interactive video games increased aggressive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
Researchers have found that it isn't just observed violence that can influence behavior; depictions of sexual behavior may also lead to imitation as well. A study conducted in 2004 by psychologist Rebecca Collins and her colleagues found that teens who watched large quantities of television containing sexual content were two times as likely to begin having sex within the next year as teens who did not view such programming.
"Of course, most people who consume high levels of violent media, adults or youth, do not end up in prison for violent crimes," Anderson explained in testimony offered before the U.S. Senate Commerce Committee. "The more relevant question is whether many (or most) people become more angry, aggressive, and violent as a result of being exposed to high levels of media violence". The answer is a clear 'yes.'"
Over to you.
Cherry, Kendra. "What Is Observational Learning?" About.com Psychology. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Nov. 2013.
Shinobu

Con

You argue very well.
First off, you argue that observers are affected negatively because they tend to be "less fearful of doing forbidden behavior when the model is NOT punished." And I can see your point of view. I am actually a fighter myself (not UFC, just martial arts).
However, I am pretty confident to say that anybody who is not in perfect shape and has not endured the demanding training a fighter goes through, in their right mind, does not want to be a UFC fighter. These fighters may have all the fame and admiration, but they sure do get knocked up. Any fighter, I don't care how old or how much experience they have, will take blows. That sure doesn't make me want to fight the big guys.
And comparing a UFC fighter to a model? Again, I can see your point of view. You know, I can compare a UFC fighter to a large variety of different things.
My thinking is that children and teens are smart enough to realize that the methods UFC fighters use to train are much different than of a model's. Anyone can see the difference between experimenting new clothes and walking down the walkway and kicking and punching the heavy bag.
In terms of video games encouraging extreme violence and sexual behavior, I can definitely agree with you. But the reality is that these video games are interactive. Most are first-person, meaning the player controls the main character him/herself. Just watching a good match on TV means sitting back and looking at other people doing what they're doing.
I hate picking fights and I consider myself to be a non-aggressive person. Yet, I very much enjoy watching UFC fights.
I conclude this argument in favor of the fighters themselves. These fighters train extremely hard almost every single day. They are absolutely amazing entertainers with outstanding skills. They know how to take hits. They know when it's appropriate to do this or that. I can say that they prefer the ring fighting than "dirty" fighting (eye-gouging, knee-breaking, etc.).
Television fighting has no negative affect on neither the fighters, nor the viewers. Thank you for debating.
Rorschach

Pro

"However, I am pretty confident to say that anybody who is not in perfect shape and has not endured the demanding training a fighter goes through, in their right mind, does not want to be a UFC fighter."

The issue is not whether they become UFC fighters, or not; the issue is that they learn and may exhibit violent and aggressive behavior.

I am sorry to say this, but you completely missed the definition i was eluding to with the word "model." I meant the model that Albert Bandura, the scoial psychologist, spoke of. A MODEL according to him is someone who does behavior that the learner (observer) observes.

"Just watching a good match on TV means sitting back and looking at other people doing what they're doing.
I hate picking fights and I consider myself to be a non-aggressive person. Yet, I very much enjoy watching UFC fights."

This is for you, but you missed my point about learning-performance distinction; everyone learns the behavior, but not everyone performs it. The ones who do not perform the behavior will certainly be inclined to do with reinforcement.

"These fighters train extremely hard almost every single day. They are absolutely amazing entertainers with outstanding skills. They know how to take hits. They know when it's appropriate to do this or that. I can say that they prefer the ring fighting than "dirty" fighting (eye-gouging, knee-breaking, etc.).
Television fighting has no negative affect on neither the fighters, nor the viewers."

Again, sorry, but these are simply a series of red herrings, The argument is not about whether or not UFC fighters are good people, or are trained/skilled or not. It is not about whether they prefer ring fighting over dirty fighting. The title of this argument is: "Are television programs that focus on fighting such as UFC too dangerous/inappropriate for TV?" if i'm not mistaken.
Also, porn stars may be great people, they are certainly skilled, and I assume most people enjoy what they are doing. Surely though you would not advocate for the display of porn on TV.
Shinobu

Con

Shinobu forfeited this round.
Rorschach

Pro

Rorschach forfeited this round.