HenryBoBenry004
ivan2002

Are tests more effective then assignments/projects

ivan2002

HenryBoBenry004

Con

I do not think that tests are more effective than assignments or projects. Tests are just questions that prove whether you can answer something or not. Assignments allow you to express it in a larger way. Assignments allow you to express your creativity and sometimes express your opinion. Tests freak some kids out. Especially because they usually cant use their notes. On an assignment you can use whatever notes you need. I think assignments reflect a students work more than a test does.
ivan2002

Pro

i will accept your challenge. i believe that tests are more effective then assessments because tests are individual and you get to see how the student is doing by himself. projects on the other hand are group work and as such they are usually dominated by one person.
HenryBoBenry004

Con

An assignment is not always a group thing. I think the stress of being on their own taking a big test will make the student choke and not show his/her best work because he/she is too worried on whether he will pass or fail. Also, I think that it is easier to learn something from a project than studying for a test.
ivan2002

Pro

it might be more stressful for students however in the case of major tests like the state test or regents exams students would have had months of practice beforehand. also teachers constantly give positive reinforcement to students in an attempt to make them feel better about themselves and the test. students are usually also prepared for smaller tests and unless the teacher gives a pop quiz(which most teachers don't) then students dont have anything to worry about
HenryBoBenry004

Con

Think of it this way. If a student has the time to do an assignment he wouldn't be under as much pressure and he would get a richer knowledge of the subject by working with it in a creative way. On a test he may learn what is true or what is false, but on a project he would learn about it in his own way. And schools make getting into college based on like 2 or 3 test scores. I think that the student should be judged on what he/she has accomplished throughout his whole school experience. I think if tests were eliminated completely, then the student would learn stuff without any pressure.
ivan2002

Pro

u may be right however a test is a true way to see how the student has mastered the subject without any possibility of hindrance. in essence a test gives you a raw score. while i do agree with you that college acceptance should not be based on just 2-3 tests(i believe that there should be several tests taken over a period of several years) the notion of taken tests out sounds crazy to me.
Vote Placed by AngryBlogger 1 year ago
AngryBlogger
HenryBoBenry004ivan2002Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Before the debate, i agreed with the con. Obviously, I feel assignments, and projects are more effective as it's a building block for a test. Just giving someone a test is not effective, it takes learning, and that's what assignments are for.. Anyhow, my arguments don't matter. Both debaters could have argued more, and written more. I will award the pro with the more convincing arguments, but disliked he used the letter "u" at the end round with the first thing he said instead of typing it out as in "you" so giving spelling for the con as he at least seemed to have tried typing the words fully out, and didn't show he was lazy. Anyhow, pro.