DrewMcD
voxcaussae

Are the Baltimore Riots justified?

DrewMcD

Con

This debate will be over the Baltimore Riots that have been taking place. My view side is that the actions by the citizens there (rioting, destruction of property, ect) is not justified. Pro will agree that the riots and damaged done by citizens are justified. First round is acceptance. Second we state our sides, third is rebuttals. Good luck!
voxcaussae

Pro

I accept and will defend the Baltimore Riots as justifiable.
DrewMcD

Con

I appreciate you accepting. Best of luck.

For those who don't know, the Baltimore riots were caused after the death of 25 year old Freddie Gray one week after he got spinal cord injuries he received during police custody.
http://m.nydailynews.com...

While rioters are saying they are doing this to protest against police brutality, they are contradicting themselves. They are trying to end violence, with violence. Any logical person knows how insane that is. You can't put out a fire with another fire. To solve this they need to be the bigger side and take legal action. This would cause less damage, less economic loss. less deaths/injuries, less issues all around, and take strides toward peace. This proves their actions of rioting is not the right choice and that they are not justified.

Another thing, the parents and family of Freddie said the violence is not what they want.
"I want you all to get justice for my son, but don't do it like this here," said Gloria Darden, the mother of 25-year-old Freddie Gray, who died while in police custody earlier this month.

"Don't tear up the whole city now, just for him," she added. "It's wrong."

"I think they're doing violence for something else," she said.
If the family says it's not justified, then it shouldn't be justified period. They are the ones feeling the most sorrow, and they aren't participating in these acts. So why does anyone else who may not have even known Freddie before this get the rights to act like animals and destroy everything? They don't. Just like Freddie's sister said, they are doing violence for something else. That something else is their own personal interest. Robberies, vandalism, destruction of property, everything they are doing they are using his death as an excuse, even though their actions have nothing to do with his death. Therefore, their actions are not justified.
http://m.voanews.com...
voxcaussae

Pro

voxcaussae forfeited this round.
DrewMcD

Con

My opponent has forfeited the round, therefore he has not presented any rebuttals or new information proving his case, making my case that the riots are NOT justifiable the winner by forfeit. Vote Con!
voxcaussae

Pro

Well you answered your own question in your statement. They are doing these out of personal interest. It is true that using Gray's death as an excuse was immature and uncivilized. But I did not post a statement because you posted my argument in your statement. People are fed up with getting the crusts of the loaf, and using Gray as an example, they showed the world how weak America is. The riots were not a message to America, but a statement to the world that our own government is corrupt, and that Americans are barbaric and senseless. These protestors proved that personal interest could justify injustice.
Posted by SyNeal47 1 year ago
SyNeal47
Riots are never justifiable. The Baltimore riots have been more about certain folks looting and causing mayhem and not about protesting an injustice. Social reform is brought on when a group of people with like interest invest in time to bring about a change. In Baltimore, like most urban cities, racism and abuse among law officers have occurred. However, to cause violence on others is not the answer to solving a social problem. When people burn building where elderly folks call home is not good but evil.
When stores are looted, and products stolen, this doesn"t help the cause of change. I applaud the group of students, and others that have taken to the streets to clean-up after the destruction left behind by others. No, riots are not the answer. It only instigates violence, and injury to a city. Change however, must come to these by way of collective responsibility of the members of the community.