cmarie91
Adam2isback

Are the younger generations dumbing themselves down for attraction & humour or just becoming stupid

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

cmarie91

Con

I am finding the more and more I converse with the younger generation (my siblings, and some friends my age "24" included) that all of these "wtf" "tbt" "IDFK" and the manner that they speak, seems disrespectful and that they are unnecessarily dumbing themselves down... to me many of these abbreviations are out of laziness. Are we teaching our children all of these shortcuts therefore making them the dumb generations or is all of these fads a way of attraction to one another?
Adam2isback

Pro

Assuming what you mean by attractiveness is sexual, then yes. Most girls these days are living to be modern-day pop stars, instead of waiting for the right lover. As for humor, it can be debated, I do believe though that our humor has become rather stupid. Just look at "Jackass" for instance. We went from "Seinfeld" to "Jackass." Also our humor has taken on an annoying sarcastic trend.
cmarie91

Con

cmarie91 forfeited this round.
Adam2isback

Pro

The emphasis on sex appeal in grils and sarcastic/prank type of humor has brought our society to a whole new level. Instead of genuity in today's entertainment -- we rely on gimmicks.
cmarie91

Con

cmarie91 forfeited this round.
Adam2isback

Pro

I've nothing more to say.

cmarie91

Con

cmarie91 forfeited this round.
Adam2isback

Pro

Again nothing to say
cmarie91

Con

cmarie91 forfeited this round.
Adam2isback

Pro

I finish the round.
Posted by anaaviles34 2 years ago
anaaviles34
I also agree that this is a false dichotomy. There is no open room in the question to allow for someone to say that this generation is not in fact stupid; it just simply states that it is. Sounds more like a complaint than an actual debate. As for the person who said that the texting language is disrespectful and lazy, I argue that it is not for this matter:

He makes a valid point in the fact that we have been speaking more than we have been writing. The majority of people do not say "idgaf" or "lol" in their conversations just as people do not speak so formal although they may have the capacity to do so. Even though people text disrespectfully or lazy, the majority of people speak that way as well.
Posted by DevlinFr3w 2 years ago
DevlinFr3w
I think that people my age (15) are dumbing themselves down, some, like in every generation, just plain and simple are not smart but so many are doing it to look "cute" and seem fun which makes me worry about what will happen in the future. Of course there are still a lot of people that are genuinely smart but... Just don't hold your breath that my generation will produce the next Einstein.
Posted by Imperfiect 2 years ago
Imperfiect
lolling
Posted by Dheu 2 years ago
Dheu
This ideology happens every generation...

Older Generation says Newer Generation are dumb sonavuha bitches... and repeat.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
This resolution is a false dichotomy.