rogerth4t
ahammer

Are the youths of today an embarrassment to older generations?

rogerth4t

Pro

I'm 15. I'd like to think I'm quite intelligent and well raised. However, I look at my friends and other youths my age and compare myself and pray I am nothing like them. Fashion, music sense and intellectuality seems to have down graded so much from our older generations. I look at pictures of my mum and dad when they were my age, maybe a bit older and they look so classy, whereas now-a-days you see 15, 16 year olds half dressed, where's the self respect?
Even things like music taste, if we go back 30, 40 years, music made sense and had a meaning behind the artists lyrics. My parents actually had a reason to idolise these characters. Yet now, we are idolising slutty pop stars who's songs mean nothing, yet we look up to them because they get naked for front page news.
I also personally feel as though exams are getting easier so that more youths can pass, making it easier for these dim-wits to get a job. Making it harder for people who actually try to achieve to make a living.
ahammer

Con

Some teens, yes, do dress inappropriately or talk inappropriately. Although, you have to remember, they had to have seen this somewhere, whether it was they're parents let them watch mature show, or movies or they learned cuss words from songs or from their parents. But not all teens are like this, there are plenty of teens who make straight A's, don't cuss, and wear appropriate clothing. If parents are embarrassed by the way their children are dressing, speaking or acting they should do something about it. About the music, just because the music is different doesn't mean it is not as meaningful. Artists have to adapt to what the new generations want, not all pop stars are slutty or attention whores. Some of them make quality music that teens an adults alike can enjoy. As for the exams, I assume you are referring to the ACT and SAT? Well, even if the exams are easier, that does not mean that is easier to get into college. Why would exams getting easier only benefit "dimwits?" Would it not make it easier for the smart people too?
rogerth4t

Pro

rogerth4t forfeited this round.
ahammer

Con

ahammer forfeited this round.
rogerth4t

Pro

rogerth4t forfeited this round.
ahammer

Con

ahammer forfeited this round.
Posted by ctalbot25 3 years ago
ctalbot25
To respond to the PRO argument, I can see where you're coming from. There are some bad aspects of our generation, but you have to remember that this is in comparison to former generations and all behavior is relative. You say that there is no self respect... Yet the teen pregnancy rate is actually lower now than ever before. Teen violence is also lower in our generation than any other. Also, exams are actually getting much harder. The SAT & ACT are much harder than they once were and the colleges' standards for them are at an all time high. Simply look at the acceptance rates at schools like UPenn or Harvard or Yale. These rates are as low as 5.8% when a few decades ago some Ivy Leagues accepted around 20%+ of applicants. Our generation has a lot of pressure placed upon us but we have definitely responded and stepped up. We have a lot of upstanding, bright, and hardworking members of our generation and I think that we are one of the best yet. Just remember that it is very easy to look at a generation and make a vitriolic judgment. "What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?" This quote was by Aristotle. Seems like people have always been tough on the next generation.