diianna.ddd
DrewMcD

Are there any negative side effects to psychotherapy?

diianna.ddd

Con

Psychotherapy, or talk therapy, may have many benefits, but could also have some negative effects on patients. For example, reveling extreme emotions and focusing on negative emotions after a traumatic experience may cause depression and lead to suicidal tendencies rather than actual improvement.
DrewMcD

Pro

I accept the debate. Best of luck.

My position, I suppose, is to prove it is more positive than negative. Like you said in your round one, focusing on a traumatic event can lead to worsening, but that's not all psychotherapist do.
"Psychotherapy helps the patient understand what helps them feel positive or anxious, as well as accepting their strong and weak points. If people can identify their feelings and ways of thinking they become better at coping with difficult situations"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...
diianna.ddd

Con

diianna.ddd forfeited this round.
DrewMcD

Pro

Even though pro forfeited, I will continue with my arguments as planned. I wish pro the best of luck in the last round.

While you talked about how psychotheraphy is bad, it's the most recommended treatment, and is the initial step to start treatment.
"Psychotherapy is often the first form of treatment recommended for depression. Called "therapy" for short, the word psychotherapy actually involves a variety of treatment techniques. During psychotherapy, a person with depression talks to a licensed and trained mental health care professional who helps him or her identify and work through the factors that may be causing their depression."

You also talked about how they focus on the event or factors that are causing the depression, but the psychotherapist make it so they don't think badly about it.
Help to restructure ways of thinking, negative attributes and attitudes someone has about himself, and ways in which faulty thinking may perpetuate depression.
(Both quotes found from link below)
http://www.medicinenet.com...
diianna.ddd

Con

diianna.ddd forfeited this round.
DrewMcD

Pro

Well, since con has forefited the other rounds, I guess that means I should win by default as I am the only side to give arguments past the first round. Wish pro would have responded, was very interested In hearing their side....
Vote pro!