Gl1tchCrashed
jo154676

Are there more than two genders?

Gl1tchCrashed has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Gl1tchCrashed

Pro

Alright - Let's get this started off simply.
The big question everyone seems to ask is "Are there more than two genders?".
When it really boils down to it, I think it's safe to assume that this is an opinion rather than a fact. Gender can be defined as many things. Most people who do not support multi-gender principles say that Gender is Sex. If you have male appendages, you are male. If you have female appendages, you are female.
Simple science, right?

Weelllll... Some people have other opinions. I believe that there are more than two genders (I take part in the Trevor Project, and contribute to LGBTQ Rallies, etc). And one thing that I often hear from people who classify as a non-binary gender is that Sex and Gender are different things. Sex is what you are born as - Something that you can choose to accept, or change - , while Gender is what you consider yourself as at heart or in your mentality, and how you can represent yourself.

So - I guess what I'm expecting / hoping to get from this Debate is just an explanation. If someone could tell me - As a believer in Binary Genders (Male and Female):
What is the reasoning behind your belief?
Are you still supportive of Non-Binary genders, even if you don't believe in it?
Do you think the majority of others who share your opinion are supportive, or not?
And lastly, could you point out a few flaws that you see in the idea of non-binary genders?

Thanks for reading -

Best response in hope,
Gl1tch.
jo154676

Con

I do not believe that there are more than 2 genders, and personally do not understand the movement. I looked up how many genders there are and one website said 63. Do you have a penis? Then you are a male. Do you have a vagina? Then you are a female. I think that what you describe as gender is better described as a person's personality or your sexuality. Males can be feminine if they want, they can be sexually attracted to whoever they want but that does not mean your gender is different. I also think this ties into transgenderism which I would classify as a mental illness. I think that people need a better understanding of chromosomes and genetics. XY male XX female. And I wonder how LGBT has anything to do with gender identity disorder, because who you are attracted to sexually holds no barring on what your gender is.
Gl1tchCrashed

Pro

This is an argument I see a lot - Science. Traditional concepts of Gender all directly point to strictly binary, male and female. Or, as pointed, XX and XY for chromosomes. But again, the main argument I like to make is mentality. In this new world that humans have created, we are breaking the rules everyday. While Trans people may not be able to function as that sex, they don't do it (in general) just because they want to be able to give birth. They do it for the comfortability of themselves. That's like saying that every time you put on a coat, you do it because you are afraid that if you don't you'll walk outside and freeze to death. That's not the logic you use ~ Hopefully. This same concept applies to people who don't bother to change their sex, and rather just have the mental aspect of being a different type of person.
As for mental illness, I think that a lot of things could classify as a mental illness. For example, ADD, and OCD. Lots of people have the less serious version of them, but it's not considered a freakish and abomination to whomever has it. Am I correct here?
Also, this is another thing I would like to bring up - Could you please answer this?
If someone you trusted a lot / meant a lot came out to you as Genderfluid, or some other form of having gender dysphoria or whatever it may be - Would you support them still? Maybe not fully come out and say "Oh yes I fully accept you and now I understand this whole thing!", but would you still support them?
jo154676

Con

The reason that you see that argument is that it is based on fact rather than subjective emotions. Science is a field where you need overwhelming evidence before your claim can be accepted as opposed to this fluffy subject of how a person feels. And yes your argument is an opinion but opinions have to be based off of facts otherwise they are worthless. Now let me ask you a question and I want you to answer it in your rebuttal to this, If someone is an alcoholic do you let them continue to engage in their drinking? No you have to tell them that they have a problem and find a way to fix it. The transgender surgery and forcing society to go along with the delusion is not the right way to handle gender identity disorder. And I never said it was freakish or abnormal it just is a condition that people have. I have social anxiety and insomnia, some people have gender identity disorder I do not hate these people I feel bad for them. I don't hate anyone for having a mental illness but I believe that there may be better ways to treat these people than to engage their delusion. I would tell them that I feel sorry for them because I would, as I mentioned above I feel bad for anyone suffering from mental illness but I would want them to look for actual cures and treatments rather than the nonsense that we have now.
Posted by jo154676 4 weeks ago
jo154676
For once I agree with this man he is preaching truths and this argument is dangerous for people who feel like this because as a society we should not be playing into their delusion.
Posted by ZenekPr0 4 weeks ago
ZenekPr0
Why "Philosophy"? It's strictly scientific question and with respect to humans the answer is one: There are two genders.

You may argue, that some women are more and some less woman-like, the same goes for men, but it's irrelevant, if we were going to treat every variety =in psychology as indicator of new gender we would end up with millions of genders.

You may argue that there are medical cases where people are born with say both vagina and testicles. It does not mean there is another gender, it proves human reproduction isn;t perfect process. When someone is born without limbs we're not saying we discovered new species or new kind of human, we're calling it disease and we try to treat it to let person have a normal life.
Posted by jo154676 4 weeks ago
jo154676
I am anxious to see the response but it seems that there are people on here who actually believe science which is awesome
Posted by GrimlyF 4 weeks ago
GrimlyF
There are 2 genders,Male and Female.Transgender females cannot give birth and transgender males cannot father children.They are unnatural creations and as such are outside of normal,human parameters.I am not religious so my opinion is based on biology.If a persons D.N.A. and genetic evaluation is of a certain sex then that is what they are.Man evolved into 2 sexes and anything else is an artificial aberration.
Posted by rli500 4 weeks ago
rli500
if there are more than two genders than how come the mii creator only has two gender options: male and female.

-checkmate nigga.
Posted by jo154676 4 weeks ago
jo154676
I am glad someone on the internet is not delusional
Posted by Freecandybars 4 weeks ago
Freecandybars
M8 there are two genders, You either classify as a girl or boy.
Posted by jo154676 4 weeks ago
jo154676
Ill post my opening after I get out of class around 6pm eastern time