brycecook12
salaud

Are there really more than 2 genders (excluding hermafrodites etc.)?

brycecook12 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

brycecook12

Con

People have made up genders and sexualities that don't exist, like it or not you are either male or female. Sexualities do get a bit fuzzier but not by much; this is the one I don't really get, there can only be Straight, gay, and bisexual right?
salaud

Pro

Thank you, brycecook12, for opening this debate. Since your argumentation in Round 1 is brief, I will keep it simple as well. I won't address Con's discussion of sexuality, as it does not relate to the resolution, which is about gender.

#1. Sex and gender are distinct terms

According to the American Psychological Association (APA):
"Sex is assigned at birth, refers to one’s biological status as either male or female, and is associated primarily with physical attributes such as chromosomes, hormone prevalence, and external and internal anatomy. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for boys and men or girls and women. Various conditions that lead to atypical development of physical sex characteristics are collectively referred to as intersex conditions." [1]

Given Con's comments, I believe it is possible Con either objects to the APA expert consensus on the distinction between "sex" and "gender," or was not mindful of that distinction when posting the resolution for this debate. Therefore I will gladly debate either or both of the claims that:
- 1. gender is not binary
- 2. biological sex is not binary

#2. Gender is not binary

The first claim is easy to illustrate. The New York City Commission on Human Rights, for instance, recognizes 31 different genders. [2] The Australian Sex Survey recognizes 33. [3] Among those recognized is Two Spirits, a nonbinary gender tradition among Native Americans. [4] I encourage readers to explore PBS's map of multiple gender traditions across the world, such as the Incas' three genders and the five genders of Indonesia: men, women, calabai, calalai, and bissu. "Bissu are considered a 'transcendent gender,' either encompassing all genders or none at all." [4]

I close my argument in order to give Con a chance to respond before involving more evidence, and look forward to hearing Con's argument.
Posted by salaud 1 year ago
salaud
My bad! Here's the APA link. Will post in next argument: http://www.apa.org...
Posted by Unstobbaple 1 year ago
Unstobbaple
Yeah, I'm not arguing for multiple genders but I'd disagree that many have rejected the idea that there are more than two genders the LGBTQ thing is still widely referenced but I'd still prefer a rainbow/spectrum.

I was once watching a show about isolated tribal cultures. There idea of what it was to be a real man (and this is true) was to wear gords on your crotch and spend the majority of the day chasing tad poles or these little fish.

For me it's more instructive to think of the motivational hormones in play which can very greatly. I think the old school problem we are still kind of stuck with is that men must be 100% motivated by testosterone and woman estrogen. In reality there are multiple motivating chemicals produced on a spectrum. For instance a female body builder can have a lot more testosterone than the average male.
Posted by SIIIN 1 year ago
SIIIN
First off I would appreciate if Pro posted a valid link for the APA website, they probably just missed a number/letter when copying the link.

From what Pro has explained, it sounds like the reason people deny there being 2 genders is because by associating as male or female you then must conform to the stereotypes that belong with each title. You think that by there being more genders there will somehow be a freedom to not needing to conform but with every title you create, you simply create more stereotypes to fit into. For a second think about all the ways people could title you, for every title there is an expectation. Which means that by creating these genders (titles) you are making more expectations, but that just creates more problems than it solves. The real solution to the whole gender roles issue is broaden peoples idea of what it means to be male/female. For example, I am a 16 year old male. Stereo typically 16 y/o males play sports, chase girls, etc. Now if I really wanted to change things, I could show people that there is more to being a 16 y/o male than what was listed above. Because lets be real, the majority of the world has rejected the idea of there being more than 2 genders, at this point it's just a shitty meme. Even showing people that there is more than male/female than what people say there is and THEN moving into there being multiple genders is a much easier task than throwing 30 -something genders at people and expecting them to accept it.
Posted by Unstobbaple 1 year ago
Unstobbaple
and no it is most certainly not straight bi and gay. Here's an illustration: http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Unstobbaple 1 year ago
Unstobbaple
Imo gender has always been a bad idea. It creates a false dichotomy of two states (one masculine and the other feminine) when it is obviously a spectrum and mixture of talents and abilities.

If you're asking if people are normally born with a penis or a vagina than yes. Congrats.