luke.hogben
Zanomi3

Are there some positive effects that come from the Rap group N.W.A?

Started: 10/21/2015 Category: Music

luke.hogben

Con

Zanomi3

Pro

I accept this debate, and to keep fair rounds I will refrain from posting arguments this round.

From my understanding of the debate topic, I simply need to show that there is at least one positive effect that comes from the rap group N.W.A. My opponent must show that there are not any positive effects.
luke.hogben

Con

I'd like you to rebut this argument

In My opinion, there ares imply no positives that come out of the rap group N.W.A
Firstly they promote violence, they promote violence against the police and also they promote the use of elicit party drugs such as cocaine & marijuana etc.
The music and movie that this group produces is obviously targeted at late teenagers to young adults. this teaches people from the ages of 16-25 that drug ar a good thing, in my (and many other people's) opinions, this is CERTAINLY not a good thing. not to mention the promotion of violence against the federal police force.
Zanomi3

Pro

In respecting my opponents wishes to rebut his argument, I will begin by deconstructing his argument. It will stand that I will rebut that "there ares [sic] imply no positives that come out of the rap group N.W.A." I would also like to point out that all statements in this debate are simply for the purpose of the debate. While I may or may not agree with statements I have listed, my personal views should be irrelevant to this debate.

First, my opponent claims that they promote not only violence, but also elicit party drugs. I would like to see where they promote this as acceptable and as the proper thing to do before I concede this point. Regardless, I still maintain that I simply need to demonstrate a single positive impact the rap group had to prove my side and hold my side of the burden of proof.

My opponent states that the music and movie targets late teenagers to young adults. This point is irrelevant in the debate.

He continues on to state that, once again, N.W.A is teaching people that drugs are a good thing. I fail to see where this is being shown as a good thing, as an activity that is beneficial to life.

I am approaching this topic from the standpoint that N.W.A has opened up an outlet for individuals to see what life was really like from these areas. For example, within the movie "Straight Outta Compton," there is a line where the actor playing Ice Cube states "At least we got them on camera." Reactions included individuals stating that "that doesn't mean anything," and "that doesn't hold water like it should." [1] With all of the recent happenings of deaths of unarmed black men, this movie was able to open the eyes of individuals that may not have realized or understood the true issues in the nation.

I also would like to point out that not every song is negative as my opponent states. N.W.A released a song titled "Express Yourself," with lyrics pointing out how, though profanity may be seen in many songs, it is simply because it assists them in expressing their thoughts and emotions. Additionally, with no profanity in this song, it allows individuals to see that true story behind rappers and their music. With their hook as "Express yourself. Come on and do it," I fail to see how this clean song is a negative impact on the communities across the country. [2]

[1] - http://www.usatoday.com...
[2] - http://genius.com...
luke.hogben

Con

luke.hogben forfeited this round.
Zanomi3

Pro

Extended. Vote Pro
Posted by simplydana97 1 year ago
simplydana97
Surely there are some positive effects of N.W.A. I think NWA really elevated the minds of the black youth on police brutality and how unjust our justice system is towards minorities. In other songs like Express Yourself, NWA conveyed the message that youth shouldn't be afraid to express who they are regardless of societal standards.