John95
Adam2

Are today's people "spoiled?"

Adam2

John95

Pro

Are today's generations of people "spoiled?" I think so.
Adam2

Con

First round is for acceptance. I don't believe people as a whole are spoiled. I believe it matters greatly on the culture that it is. So I will be debating that. May the best debator win.
John95

Pro

Think about it. My younger siblings spend more than 2 hours watching TV on weekdays; on the weekends, I could swear that is all I see them doing. They whine and complain when told to do something other than that. To me, that is the very definition of "spoiled."
Adam2

Con

Spoiled can mean that, but it also has other meanings. Perhaps the operative meaning behind all of this is "sense of entitlement" which exists in other cultures. In Scandinavia and southern Scotland/northern England exists this kinda Ku Klux Klan mentality, in which, many, by virtue of being white, feel they're entitled to better jobs, homes, farms and land than other races, and better cars too. But in other cultures such as India, people have a sense of fairness and are devoted to their friends and families. Same case in Italy and Germany. Asian countries are very communal, too. So it's mostly North America and Northern Europe that has this kind of sense of entitlement, and it's usually racist in nature.
John95

Pro

I agree with the "sense of entitlement." The U.S. has long had the best of everything; however, the newest generations (Generation X, etc.) seem to have this notion that "Who cares? I can live off my parents/friends/other for life." That is not true. Parents and friends, unfortunately, don't last forever; even if that was possible, who says that they would be that generous? I know for a fact that my friends and family have enough to worry about without thinking about me all the time. "Oh _______ needs food and clothes," etc. I personally believe that these newer generations are choosing to be that way, and that is not the way to be. At some point, whoever you rely on is not going to be there when you need something. At that point, you would have two choices: 1. Either procrastinate and hope that your "reliable" person comes back; or 2. You can get up, go out, and do it yourself.
Adam2

Con

Here's the problem -- with a child, you can't expect them to everything, so you have to provide for them. What about chores? The hatred of chores doesn't exist in every country. Even in racist Scandinavia, people believe in their responsibilities, they're just arrogant people who feel that based on their skin color, they can get whatever they want. Which is what I meant by spoiled. The hatred of chores is not common everywhere. It's only in America. You said people today are spoiled. But that's a generalization. Because different cultures have different values. And that attitude you mentioned is only prevelant in American society. But spoiled has different meanings too. It can take on racial meanings, like mentioned about the lowlands Scotland and northern England plus Scandinavia, in which a sense of entitlement attitude exist.
Posted by John95 3 years ago
John95
Thank you!
Posted by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
Good debate
Vote Placed by Youth 3 years ago
Youth
John95Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con convinced me when he taught us about other cultures and pointed out that the resolution was a generalization of the world's people so that made Pro's arguments based on the fallacy of composition. Sources also to Con because it involved cultures and beliefs which are undeniable while Pro used examples like his own family which ultimately also relates to his arguments being based on the same fallacy as I stated before.