WhineyMagiciann5
xx_charlesxx

Are video games a form of art?

Started: 2/2/2016 Category: Games

WhineyMagiciann5

Pro

I feel like having a good yet somewhat short debate so let me get started.
Many people discuss if these games are a form of art yet cannot agree amongst themselves. I figured I would have a little debate on this to see some other opinions.
Art :something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Since there will be 2 rounds of debating it will be main argument then rebuttals and closing statements.
xx_charlesxx

Con

In my stance it is a for of art
WhineyMagiciann5

Pro

With respect to Charles but I believe he took the wrong side of this debate as he states in the acceptance round that he is pro when I already am. I am going to try and do this debate again but hopefully with someone who stands against it. If you wish to debate this Charles you could make your own debate if you like or find another. just remember to look at what position is already taken.
xx_charlesxx

Con

Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it. That seemed to be a fool's errand, especially given the volume of messages I receive urging me to play this game or that and recant the error of my ways. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, video games cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as Rick Wakeman informs us, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form.
What stirs me to return to the subject? I was urged by a reader, Mark Johns, to consider a video of a TED talk given at USC by Kellee Santiago, a designer and producer of video games. I did so. I warmed to Santiago immediately. She is bright, confident, persuasive. But she is mistaken.
I propose to take an unfair advantage. She spoke extemporaneously. I have the luxury of responding after consideration. If you want to follow along, I urge you to watch her talk, which is embedded below. It's only 15 minutes long, and she makes the time pass quickly.

She begins by saying video games "already ARE art." Yet she concedes that I was correct when I wrote, "No one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great poets, filmmakers, novelists and poets." To which I could have added painters, composers, and so on, but my point is clear.
Then she shows a slide of a prehistoric cave painting, calling it "kind of chicken scratches on walls," and contrasts it with Michelangelo's ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Her point is that while video games may be closer to the chicken scratch end of the spectrum, I am foolish to assume they will not evolve.
She then says speech began as a form of warning, and writing as a form of bookkeeping, but they evolved into storytelling and song. Actually, speech probably evolved into a form of storytelling and song long before writing was developed. And cave paintings were a form of storytelling, perhaps of religion, and certainly of the creation of beauty from those chicken-scratches Werner Herzog is even now filming in 3-D.
WhineyMagiciann5

Pro

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...
My oppnent has copy pasted from this link i have just posted
I hate to say this but my opponent has plagarised.
xx_charlesxx

Con

xx_charlesxx forfeited this round.
Posted by CodingSource 1 year ago
CodingSource
This should be a victory for you, Whiney. However, I can't confirm my identity.
Posted by xx_charlesxx 1 year ago
xx_charlesxx
I have now decided to take the debate and corret from my foolish act of thinking i was pro. Very, Very Sorry for what i did.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 1 year ago
WhineyMagiciann5
@lilghoda would you mind if I debate this with you since this current one kind of failed?
Posted by lilghoda 1 year ago
lilghoda
All right. IMO 'Video games' are form of an entertainment and nowhere close to an 'Art' that is 'subjective' and 'analytical'. A picture/sculpture/painting is an idea that can be analyzed from multiple angles to create different opinions/feelings/views and these are form of an art. On the other hand, a 'video game' is definitely an imagination, but the idea behind video game is to provide entertainment.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 1 year ago
WhineyMagiciann5
@lilghoda. good argument there. ill do this debate with you since I think Charles here is actually pro but didn't realize he took the side of con.
Posted by lilghoda 1 year ago
lilghoda
I'm not a fan of video games, but is there any game created to express important ideas and feelings? As per the dictionary, Art is a form of "something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings". Also "Art" is most of the time "Subjective"..

A video game is definitely created with imagination and skills, but its main purpose is entertainment, and not to express any idea/feelings/views. I believe, "Video game" is not completely a form of art.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 1 year ago
WhineyMagiciann5
I tried comments and messages @Charles so I figured I would put this here so you can see it hopefully.

"On the debate I made you just took. you said that you think that games are a form of art. While the pro/for it position I already have. somebody who is against would have to take it."