ItBeBrandon
why_why

Are video games corrupting children

ItBeBrandon
Started: 10/23/2014 Category: Games

ItBeBrandon

Con

I am on the con side because of multiple reasons. I have heard that video games are corrupting the minds of children for quite awhile. Now my whole view point is that I do not thing video games are corrupting kids, nor are they "bad" in any way. I mean I guess you could use the argument that kids have (for instance) played superman and then jumped off a roof. These kind of arguments make me laugh. So just because someone is allergic to peanuts then they should ban peanuts? the kid that jumped off of the roof had some kind of ailment. Now do I think that a 8 year old should be playing grand theft auto? No, the ERSB rates games accordingly. However I do think that if a child is 15 and shows maturity for their age than yes they should be able to play such a game. There is physical age and also mental age.
why_why

Pro

Kids are getting addicted to video games. Some of my classmates are getting 30% or under grades and they tell me they didn't study, they needed to beat their friend's high score. We did a graph of how long we played video games. Some children were reaching as high as 15 hours. Two boys who never do their homework talks every day about video games. Video game's unhealthy addiction is causing grades to fall, amount of sleep decreased, and intelligence lowered.
ItBeBrandon

Con

I agree that some people children in school do play video games over doing their own homework. However that is completely their choice. I know from experience because I am currently in college taking online course, and right next to me is my PlayStation 4 with destiny in it. I always do my work before playing games. Your argument targets more of the willpower of kids than weather or not the games are corrupting. It would be like saying food is bad because people become obese. Anybody can become addicted to anything. It is a fact of life, and one we cannot avoid as humans. The question is whether or not we as humans can overcome that addiction. Also it is great to be debating with you.
why_why

Pro

Food is a survival need. We will survive without playing video games. They are destroying social skills, causing obesity, and people souks rather sit in their house all day then appreciate life. It's currupting our brains, gamers, and by that I mean intense gamers who spend their life playing video games do not do so well. Some people are quitting their jobs to play minecraft! (Stampylongnose, I like his videos but that is just insane!) Humans are becoming too reliant on electricity and if it was ripped off this earth forever there'd be a riot. That's what extreme fans do when their team looses the world cup.
And it's fun debating with you too.
ItBeBrandon

Con

I agree that food is a survival need, and so is advancement and progress. Me and my dad have debated about this many times. You cannot talk about what will happen if this happens. All it is, is speculation. Yes, there are people who live in their parents basement and do not have jobs. However, to a certain degree that is the said persons fault. If someone said that they will pay all of your expenses and give you money to get things. Would you not take it? Humans have brought a lot of the problems we face upon ourselves. If electricity was ripped off of this world than yes. there would be riots. However, we would survive and adapt. If someone is completely happy with playing nothing but games, and had the money and means of supporting it. Than by all means do what makes you happy. In the since of being social. What does it matter about if you are socializing face to face or on a computer? it is still socializing.
why_why

Pro

You see, even if you do have the money to support yourself and don't need to work, you are pretty much deleting your purpose in life. No one will gain anything, including yourself if your life is wasted on video games. The difference is that it's not face to face interaction. People loose their social skills such as non verbal communication. Some people even loose their sanity and think they can do things they can do in the game. You'd still think that's just one person, but it still is a problem. A reason why kids hate books is they are being forced on them. If we just lowered the amount of video games in our day to day life just a little bit it can show great inprovement. You know a boy got cancer from staring at a screen all day.
ItBeBrandon

Con

See, the thing that I do not understand is, what gives someone the right to say you are wasting your life on something? If someone wants to sit and play video games all day everyday than who are you to say they are wasting their life? And I disagree, you will gain something. You will gain happiness. You argue that the reason social media hubs like Facebook and Twitter do not work is because it is not face to face. That can actually be a good thing. Think of non face to face as practice. Someone typing to their friend can practice how they word/say things. Also video games have been proven to help with hand eye coordination visual acuity and social disorders. Video games have a lot of pros to them, these pros well outweigh the cons. As for the comment you made about a kid getting cancer after looking at a screen all day, I could not find a single article or news article that said anything about it. However, even if it were true, you cannot say that every kid is going to get cancer because they watch t.v all day. If that were the case than all the people that go to work everyday and stare at a computer screen should have cancer. Which brings me to my next point. If you go to a work place and stare at a screen all day working on programs and making money than you are doing something productive, than you are accepted. But if you play games all day and make money than you are cheating and not being productive in society.
why_why

Pro

It's different when you are doing it on a computer at work. You get up early, working all day doing something productive to make money for your family. People playing video games are waking up whenever they want and playing games all day wich won't help anyone or anything. Video games stop kids from studying, eating properly, and getting enough exercise. Certain studies show that most violent games tend to create violent behavior in kids, since they become blind to the difference between real life and games on tv/computer. It also blocks children from the importance of social life and causes them to be isolated! Playing violent video games a lot makes an individual's brain less responsive to violence. This leads to and increased aggressive behavior, as over time, the brain does not perceive that agression to be anything abnormal. Dr. C. Shawn Green of university of winsconsin concluded video games can change your brain. Things you used to be interested in now no longer holds any interest. Playing videos for long hours reduces sleep one gets, leading to insomia. Back pains are also common for game addicts since they are sitting in one place. A research carried out by the National Institute for media and the family says video games can increase anxiety levels and depression. Another study shows children aged 9-15 years who play mature and violent video games causes them to bully, becoming abusive, beating, or clobbering siblings and peers. Not only do gamers get bad grades, they also cut school, and even drop out. In 2005, a 28 year old man from south Korea collapsed and died of cardiac arrest playing a video game for 50 hours straight. In October 2007 a teenager from Ohio shot his parents for taking away his game halo 3. A Korean couple, in 2009, spent hours playing video games, neglecting their 3 month old baby, who died from malnutrition and dehydration. A 16 year old from south Philadelphia killed his mother in the year 2010 for confiscating his psp.
ItBeBrandon

Con

OK, I am well aware of the studies that you speak of. As for the "certain studies" that create violent behavior. These studies have been done for a long time, and the only thing that they have is the things that you have listed. All of the things you have listed is NOT because of video games, but merely a reaction that someone (who obviously has mental problems) got mad about their parents taking away their psp or halo 3 and reacted in a horrible way. However in both of these instances it does not matter about what was taken away, it is about the child's problems. These problems are so little and happen in a ratio of one to one hundred thousand. But the media wants to inflate it to something that is not a problem. As for the couple that let their baby die. That was just bad parenting, once again it lies in the people not the thing. It is very possible that video games change your brain. As a neurology major, I understand all to well that a lot of things can change your brain. Not just video games, but the statement that violent video games make kids more violent is absurd. The fact is that people get more angry than others. I could run a study on kids that swim and kids that do not swim and say that the majority of them are angry. It does not matter that the kids are swimming, some are just angrier than others.
It has been great debating with you sir.
why_why

Pro

Sad we've been debating heatedly at each other yet not one person voted. The reason I listed those two deaths however, is because the parents were so addicted to the video game they forgot their responsibilities. The kids who shot their parents were so addicted to it they wanted them out of the way to get their game back. The reason the kids get violent over a game is because they are so used to slashing and murdering they view it as normal.
Nice debate we had.
Posted by Credence 2 years ago
Credence
"i never study, even before i had technology, I would just sleep instead of studying."
Really? I hear ridiculous statements such as this all the time in real life. If you pay attention to learning anything new, you are technically studying. Doing any homework, which is required to pass high school courses, is studying. I never hear anyone saying how much they study, only claiming they don't study or study very little. Yet the one who studies the ends up more knowledgable.

Ozzyhead I think children of any age should play grand theft auto. It's a game that allows for absolute free reign. Only in missions are you required to kill, and even then, you're killing corrupt people. When the story line is over, players can do whatever they please. The game doesn't encourage it. If they kill a police officer or a person on the street out of cold blood, it speaks more to their character than themselves.

GTA contains sexually provocative material, violence, blood & gore, obscene/offensive language and is rated mature. Interesting point on the last sentence, at the least.
Posted by lori17224 2 years ago
lori17224
i never study, even before i had technology, I would just sleep instead of studying.
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Ozzyhead
I think children of any age should play grand theft auto. It's a game that allows for absolute free reign. Only in missions are you required to kill, and even then, you're killing corrupt people. When the story line is over, players can do whatever they please. The game doesn't encourage it. If they kill a police officer or a person on the street out of cold blood, it speaks more to their character than themselves.
Vote Placed by moneystacker 2 years ago
moneystacker
ItBeBrandonwhy_whyTied
Reasons for voting decision: THis is a close debate honestly and i decided i halfway agree with both of you so a tie for me. I agree that games can corrupt kids but it depends on the game, like if you are playing a Barbie game or 2k14 or playing sports games on the wii then its not corrupt, but if you are playing lets say call of duty or grand theft auto then yea your mind is getting fked up. Con was more persuasive however and i loved his round 1 and round 4 argument but pro had some fair points as well. Pro had a argument that yea w could go without video games and sanity argument.
Vote Placed by sherlockholmesfan2798 2 years ago
sherlockholmesfan2798
ItBeBrandonwhy_whyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides made captivating arguments yet I believe that they got hung up on proving each other wrong instead proving their own point as true. Now it's true that by proving one wrong is part of the debate but that will come with proving your own point?s right. For example instead of proving that if would be justified if one lived in a basement prove that if you did play video games it would make you better. Pro stated that there are many positives to video games but brushed lightly upon the matter. Pro should've have listed the benefits, showed some proof and continue to PROVE that they outweigh the negatives. However this was still an interesting read and as you're both quite new to this site I commend you on an excellent first debate. Congratulations.