Ironcraft
BootsWithDefer

Are video games good or bad?

Started: 4/20/2015 Category: Games

Ironcraft

Pro

Video games can relax you and take out your stress. specially games like cod, battlefield and more instead of killing real people they kill fake.
BootsWithDefer

Con

Good debate topic and one that interests me.

My stance is that the resolution is un-provable. Similar to asking "Is purple purple or red and blue?" Its both. SO are video games

CA1 (Con argument 1) Measuring "good" or "bad" is impossible without a value system.
I am assuming that the value system is based on positive experience (Stress relief, enjoyment)
To correctly analyze the value (how good or bad a game is) there are any number of variables to consired

+Stress reductiuon (if any...most likely not. Have you SEEN raguquit?)
+Time spent playing: Even a fun game played too long can become stressfull and hazardous to the players health. Think Skyrim
+Player Skill: So man differences here. Minecraft can be peaceful and relaxing, until a creeper shows up. COD can be stressfull, unless you are good.

Creating a value system would require alot of math, and I dot feel like creating a formula to show examples of what I am saying above. That is, many variables go into determining if a video game is good. Pretty self explanatory.

CA2 There is no solid evidence either way.
Even with a complex mathematical or psychological argument, this would be har to prove either way. There are many different types of video games, andmany different experiences with each one. Were we discussing FPS's or MOBA's even THAT is so broad, an argument either way would be impossible.

CA3 Video games are too complex to categorize as good or bad
For example Skyrim. You can Join the Dark Brotherhood, or you cant. Assuming the goodness is measured by being good and not evil, two players, or even two different saves from the same olayer can have two very different experiences. For example, i have created a save point, killed everyone in Whiterun with the tentacle armor and wand from the DragonBorn DLC, and then reloaded the save. Some players may not do that, but I did. Neither of us has a valid argument over the other one, because we havent experienced it the way they did. With video games, having a good time is completely subjective.

Ironcraft

Pro

Ironcraft forfeited this round.
BootsWithDefer

Con

BootsWithDefer forfeited this round.
Ironcraft

Pro

Ironcraft forfeited this round.
BootsWithDefer

Con

BootsWithDefer forfeited this round.
Posted by CAHAL101 1 year ago
CAHAL101
i agree with you ironcraft i play cod and minecraft all the time when i am stressed out it helps me relax alot